“Great Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Shak - CLOSED

The Shak
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout
Description: Southern Fried Chicken, Hickory Smoked BBQ, Catfish, Shrimp and Awesome Loaded Smoked Potatoes.Voted #1 in Whitefish for dinner on a budget! Our customers also voted us #1 in the Flathead Valley for BBQ and Southern Fried Chicken. We are also now serving Catfish,a South Louisiana favorite I guarantee.....
Whitefish, Montana
“Great Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

Great Food Great Service and the Friendliest people in town

Visited July 2011

Richland, Washington
“Great BBQ - Good price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

The food is incredible - even my 12 year old son loved it. The price was ok, but considering it was peak tourist time, it was very comparable to or better than other restaurants in Whitefish.

The staff were very engaging and entertaining. The decor was quaint and fun. Would eat there again.

• Visited August 2011
Kalispell, Montana
“Best Ribs I have ever had!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

Great food, and affordable. The ribs were fantastic and the sides are really great! The fried chicken is excellent. Portions are hearty and you won’t go away hungry. I had the 3 rib plate thinking I would go away a little hungry, I was wrong, I went away stuffed. The ribs had more meat on them than any ribs I have ever had. The flavor was excellent smoky juicy and tender, they were so good I didn’t use any barbecue sauce. This is real country Cajun cooking, I'm going back for crawfish etufee and ribs of course and the chicken and the sides. The owners and staff are really friendly and take great pride in their food and it is truly a great dining place. Great place! check it out,it is a cut way above the rest!

• Visited August 2011
Kalispell, Montana
“Undercooked pork? Not Acceptable!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2011

I visited the Shak while driving through town.....had heard there was a new Southern BBQ place and wanted to try it out. I am from the South and considered myself a foodie well before the Food Network ever existed. Remember Justin Wilson? Anyway I ordered the rib combo meal with beans and okra. I guess with the low temperatures and the fact that they were newly established they didn't really have a handle on cooking times yets because my ribs were under cooked. Not sure of the gentleman's name but when he asked how things were I showed him the ribs and he agreed that they were not ready yet and quickly replaced the dinner. The second plate was not much better off....there just is no substitute adequate cooking time......cutting ribs from a different location doesn't make up for rushing a meal to the table. I had eaten enough of the sides and the thought of eating uncooked pork took care of the rest of my appetite. Out of courtesy I requested a 'to-go' container but ended up throwing the food out. They were nice enough to give me a gift certificate for $8.15 although I never did figure out how they arrived at that price. Perhaps they deducted the cost of the drink. In spite of my untoward experience the first time, I love BBQ so much that I will undoubtedly try them again at some point. BBQ is such an expensive food that I don't eat it out very often and cannot understand some of the comments about how great a value it was....please....$10 for lunch? That is pretty high in my book......I'm just sayin...

• Visited October 2010
1 Thank BBQ_Bob2011
ckmayeaux, Owner at The Shak, responded to this review, August 13, 2011
The fast majority of our customers who have reviewed here and mentioned our ribs found them absolutely wonderful. Ribs are slow smoked for 13 hours over hickory and tested with a thermometer prior to serving.

I am not sure on this gentlemans visit, both visits actually, but have a few responses. First, relative to the price. Anyone who has purchased meat of any type knows that prices are out the roof. We were voted in the Whitefish Pilot local newspaper as best family resturant on a budget by our customers who live in Whitefish, of that we are very proud. We strive to keep our cost down and many of our repeat customers have had no problem with our costs. Usually they are unable to finish all the food we give them to eat. We and our loyal customers agree we provide great value. Our hickory alone must be shipped in from out of state which cost quite a few dollars as well.

Second, we made every effort to appease this customer by replacing his meal and then giving him a gift certificate as well, so he received twice what he paid for which to me is quite a bargin if not a steal.

I am from the south, so I have not just visited the south, I am a Cajun from South Louisiana and have eaten in some of the smallest BBQ and seafood dives I could fine, many of them had concrete floors and long wooden benches, plastic utensils (if any at all) that was about it. The food I found off the beaten path was by and far the best I have ever eaten and pride myself that we have recreated that here at the Shak. I always want to eat where the locals eat, not the tourist traps, so again our local customer base is growning and our success has been because of our customers. They have been the ones bragging about our food and that gives us great pleasure.

We strive to please every customer and treat them like family. In this case I was not able to please this gentleman but it was not from lack of effort and have offered to refund him the price of both of the meals he has eaten here, which I thought was more than fair.

I would encourage anyone who reads this post to come down and see for yourself. We are the number 2 resturant to eat at in Whitefish and it is our 1 year anniversary today. We could not have made it in this tough economy in this business withour our customers and we so appreciate your support and encouragement. Thank you!
Savannah area, GA
“Good food - very casual”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

I ate here with my son after hiking in Glacier. We were not out of place in our hiking boots and clothes. I had a combo plate with beef brisket and pulled pork and he had the fried chicken. The fried chicken he let me taste was as good as any I have ever had. Much more like what I grew up eating at home than what you find at the usual fried chicken chain. What a surprise. My beef brisket was very good. The pulled pork was my least favorite, but it was not bad. The portions were just so large that I didn't feel the need to finish the pulled pork. The sides were particulary good for a barbeque joint. I loved the smoked potato salad and fried Okra. Often, fried Okra is cold, greasy or hard, and this was perfect. If I went back, I would definitely order the fried chicken.

• Visited July 2011