“Great food, friendly service”
Review of The Shak - CLOSED

The Shak
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Takeout
Description: Southern Fried Chicken, Hickory Smoked BBQ, Catfish, Shrimp and Awesome Loaded Smoked Potatoes.Voted #1 in Whitefish for dinner on a budget! Our customers also voted us #1 in the Flathead Valley for BBQ and Southern Fried Chicken. We are also now serving Catfish,a South Louisiana favorite I guarantee.....
Reviewed June 11, 2011

We have eaten at The Shak many times and keep going back because of the delicious food. The pulled pork sandwiches are a favorite. There are generous portions of juicy pork overflowing from a fresh bun. The sides are just a good! We also love the friendly service. In here, everyone is a local!

1  Thank pearlberry

Reviewed June 8, 2011

The Shak brings the essence of southern bbq to an other wise mundane North, the special attention that you as the customer get is way above and beyond what you get from a commercial bbq joint, from meeting and joking with the owner to the excellent mix of bbq and smoke. The Shak is a must for all visitors looking for good food and a great time when visiting Northwestern Montana.

3  Thank Jak015
Reviewed June 5, 2011

We have visited Whitefish on many occasions and have eaten our way around the area. We were looking forward to trying the vaunted Shak BBQ. The atmosphere was reminiscent of an abandoned Dairy Queen, complete with melamine booths. However, we are not BBQ snobs, but aficionados.
When ordered a feast platter to sample all that was available. The pulled pork was fatty, greasy and unappetizing; the brisket was overly chewy and greasy without much smoke flavor; the chicken had little flavor without crisp skin. Only beans saved the meal. We are hearty eaters and bbq over 50 days per year, yet we left food behind and eschewed the doggy bag for later.
If you like the McRib, check this place out.

1  Thank sodajerk123
ckmayeaux, Owner at The Shak, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2011

As a family owned restaurant we pride ourselves on giving our customers personal service, as if they were at a backyard BBQ at our home. We talk with each of our guest mulitple times during their meal to inquire as to how is their meal and will be more than happy to replace any item that they are not completely satisfied with.

As you might be able to tell from the overwhelmingly positive reviews, the majority of our guest are quite pleased with our food and service. Unfortunately, we cannot please all of our guest and we do apologize that your meal was not to your liking. If we had been made aware of your concerns we would have replaced the meal or gladly refunded your money.

When one of our reviews, such as this one, refers to our building and decor in a negative light that is a bit personal. The Shak was intentionally designed to be just that, a shack that you might find in the backwoods of Montana, so in this regard I guess I should take this comment as a compliment. The Shak is certainly not an upscale fine dining establishment one might find in Spokane, but a down home BBQ joint, just like the holes in the wall I love visiting in the backwoods of the South with concrete floors and tin walls.

Our ribs are smoked for 13 hours over hickory, I only use what is most popular in the deep south.

I will As you can see from the other reviews on TripAdvisor from our guest, we appreciate how they hold us in high esteem and look forward to serving many guest both local and visitors for years to come.

Reviewed May 25, 2011

We were personally greeted by the owners and waited on by them. Very friendly service and they made menu suggestions that were great. The food could not have been better ans there was lots of it. Neither my wife or I could finish dinner. I recommend the pulled pork and she the brisket. Hard to find better BBQ than this, anywhere.

2  Thank tampabobl
Reviewed April 25, 2011

We actually had one of our bachelor party dinners here based on a lot of the reviews I'd seen on various websites. I was a bit nervous since I was unfamiliar with the menu, but Sherry did a fantastic job of guiding me through the menu and helping pick the best choices ahead of time.

When we arrived, we found the service was friendly and our food was waiting. The food was amazing! The chicken was a huge hit with all of us. The portions were quite large and the value is incredible at this place. Overall, we were very satisfied. Not to mention that the owners went way above and beyond purely out of kindness.

Any place that can put up with 20 some rowdy, hungry men on a bachelor party that has food this good is worth trying. I highly recommend that if you're in the Whitefish area that you take the time to try something different and stop into The Shak.

2  Thank Mulda