“Great grub and grog in Whitefish” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Quickee's - CLOSED

Quickee's
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Description: Quickee has consistently been voted the Best Sandwich Shop in Whitefish for seven years in a row. We have moved to a new trendy location and put on a totally new dinner menu. We are now located on the corner of Lupfer Avenue and Second Street, still in the historic railway district of Whitefish.Not only do we serve the best Breakfast Burritos and Deluxe Deli Sandwiches but at night the menu has changed to the best ‘Pub Fare’ in the Flathead Valley. We make Traditional British Fish & Chips, Bangers & Mash, Steak & Ale Pie to name a few.We have worked hard to source as much of the menu as possible locally. All our beef is Flathead Valley reared, our Elk is from West Valley Drive just 7 miles from our restaurant. Our Pork is from Farm To Market Road just 10 miles from the restaurant. All six of our beers on tap are local Micro-brews from our town here in Whitefish and close by Lakeside, Bigfork and Missoula. Our fish is Alaskan from a local fish supplier and our produce supplied by a local produce depot.We have an excellent selection of personally selected wines and bottled beers from around the globe.Quickee is now housed in a cool and trendy restaurant, recently remodeled to provide a fresh clean ‘Wine Bar’ feel with excellent fresh made to order food. Come in and join us, after all “Every-one loves a Quickee”.
San Francisco, California, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great grub and grog in Whitefish”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Such good, fresh food with a terrific selection of beer and wine! I make a point of dining here every time I visit Whitefish. The staff are professional and the atmosphere is friendly. In particular, I enjoyed the elk burger and the curry. Very highly recommended.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank GirlFromIndep

scotland
“reply to the owner”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

On September 3, 2012 11:58 AM Quickee wrote:
I am sorry you had such an awful experience.
I am sorry you didn't like our food.
I am sorry you thought I appeared important and 'swanned' around.
I am sorry that you decided to, so publicly, get personal about me.
So lets get personal shall we?
People like you are the epitome of why I left the UK. The faceless Britt who likes to have a good old moan anonymously so they don't have to take the consequences of running their mouth. The one who would rather laugh at a failure than congratulate a success.
It is easy to look in on people's lives and judge isn't it?
July, I had 2 days off, that's it. August much the same, so 'swanning' is not a position I am familiar with. Should you ask anyone in the local community, they will tell you that I am one of the few restaurant owners who actually 'works it'.
Perhaps my chef had been called away as his wife went into labor?
Perhaps I had already done a 6 hour lunch shift on the cooking line by myself?
Perhaps my 2nd waitress called in last minute with a sickness virus that was going around?
Perhaps I had to make a judgement on whether to put a lesser experienced cook in the kitchen and hope things were OK, or cook myself, or whether to assist my very competent waitress who was getting busy?
Perhaps I was trying to maintain the balance between kitchen and front of house?
Maybe my 'swanning' around was attempting to balance my restaurant in a situation of crisis?
Perhaps I had just taken a blow with my son being refused a college place based on our visa status and we were looking at sending him back to the UK, by himself at 18?
Did you introduce yourself to me as a fellow countryman?
Did you complain about your food to me or my waitress?
Did you give me an opportunity to rectify what you didn't like?
How good these sites are in allowing a faceless sound off.
I am sorry I was not your British Buddy that day.
Now quit being the acidic Scot who applauds England's bad days.
I came to Montana from Carlisle.
I am half Scottish so I will celebrate the strength it gave me to be so unpleasant.
By the way, your grasp of the English language & spelling is appalling, are you a teacher?

Reply .
Firstly I'm not Scottish like you I moved north for a better life,
Second no I'm not a teacher,I actually own a restaurant and pub.
Thirdly i don't profess to be good at English actually im dyslexic,you should spend more time trying to produce good food instead of correcting peoples grimmer.
Fourthly I certainly don't want to be your buddy.I only wanted a decent meal
Finally if perhaps you had all the problems you mention above then maybe you should have closed for the day.the waitress was informed of the situation at the time and didn't want to know so maybe you should have a look inward and sort out your staff ,but then as you didn't want to interact with the customers when we were there then maybe they are only acting by the example you show.The food was terrible,sorry if you don't like that but its the worst food we have had in the thousands of miles we have travelled across America over many years .So you will be very pleased to know I wont be back,we have used trip advisor for all our holidays and find the faceless people on here aren't far away from the truth.
PS have a nice day

• Visited June 2012
5 Thank andrewcook
Quickee, Owner at Quickee's, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
From your response to a personal message sent to you, which you have chosen to post publicly, I do not believe that you ever came to my restaurant from a position of neutrality. You heard I was English, and as a restaurant owner yourself, you saw it as a series of challenges. You were seeking the American Experience, being English yourself, why would you come to an English restaurant? The old British saying 'Taking coals to Newcastle' spring to mind.
Owning a restaurant makes one hyper critical and often spoils enjoyment of a normal dining experience. Reading your extensive reviews this appears to be a problem for you.
Here in Whitefish, there is within our industry a protocol, an ethical code of mutual understanding, an etiquette amongst fellow restauranteurs. I've had one or two meals that were not necessarily to my liking or taste and may not have been exquisitely wonderful. I may not have had an amazing rapport with my waiter or waitress, they may not have massaged my ego enough. The owner may have been having an unhappy day, it happens. I sure as hell would not publicly slate my competition on one of these faceless sites, it's just not good form. As we all know, or know of each other, in this small community it would be commercial suicide to do so. I would hope I could communicate my view to the owner or manager of said establishment and amicably work it out, instead of getting to a point of slandering each other in the public arena. Incidentally, I regularly see may of my fellow restauranteurs and their staff eating in my restaurant, so apparently for the local palate we are just fine.
There appears to be some confusion from your 2 reviews to exactly when you were here, June or July? So I read your many reviews. It seems to be July 2012 you visited Montana. I have talked to every one of my staff regarding this review. Not one of them can recall a complaint from an older English man and his partner, could you offer a name for me?
As a restaurant owner yourself, you must be in a very fortunate position to be able to leave your restaurant in 'high season', there certainly is a tourist season in Scotland. You must be very fortunate to have such a wonderful and supportive team to allow you to leave. Or you run your business a hobby having made your money elsewhere and summer profits are of no significance to you.
Dyslexia, strange condition isn't it? I have spent all my life correcting myself, as I too have the condition. Computers tools such as spell check, I find very useful. If you choose to use the public arena, perhaps practice your use of good grammar.
Horrible and distasteful to have someone pass such an uninformed opinion of you, don't you think?
I do not need your blessing to serve good food. We were given rave reviews at last weeks 'Taste of Whitefish', where members of the local community gather to celebrate our restaurant community and the wonderful food we all serve.
The British sarcasm shines though in wishing me 'have a nice day'. Days are always nice here in Whitefish, so thank you for your sincere offer.
“Not Cheap”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

I stopped here for lunch one day and got a sandwich to go. They really should not even let hot sandwiches out the door without a spoon to eat them with - it was a soggy mess. It was a bad choice on my part and I won’t do that again. I stopped again one evening with friends and was surprised with a completely different menu. Everything was very expensive for what we got. Server was great but that didn’t make up for the check.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank LocalLadyDiner
Quickee, Owner at Quickee's, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
I am guessing you had the Veggie Sandwich. This is a very messy sandwich. Disposable silverware is available on the front counter for everyone to help themselves to. I don't wish contribute to landfill with every sandwich and not everyone wants to automatically be given silverware, so I leave it to personal choice.
I do not claim to be a 'cheap' restaurant. I aim to use the best quality products I can and maintain a price that is in balance with the local market. I am not corporate so I am unable to take advantage of corporate buying power. I am not sure if you read the introduction on the front of our Dinner Menu, all of my meat products are from a 30 mile radius in the Flathead Valley, I use local fish and produce suppliers, I use Montana Coffee Traders and I support all of the local Flathead Valley Microbreweries. All of these companies command a higher price as they also do not have the support of corporate companies. My ethos, 'Keep It Local', as a local person I would hope this is more important to you over 'cheap'. If we fail to support our local community in these economic times, the small business will fail to exist anymore.
Whitefish, Montana
“Good Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

Great food right near downtown Whitefish. Parking is a little sketchy for children and elderly as it is right on hwy 93. Food was great and service was friendly...

Visited August 2012
scotland
“awfull”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

Coming from the UK we went here after being told the restaurant was owned by an English woman,and after eating good USA fair for 2 weeks we thought we would try food from home,the fish and chips and chicken pie we had were awfull,the service was not good and the owner swaned about trying to look important instead of serving customers who had obviously been waiting agesd,I wouldnt eat here again even if some one else was paying.The worst food we have ever had in America by far.

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank andrewcook
Quickee, Owner at Quickee's, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
I am sorry you had such an awful experience and I am sorry you appear to have not liked me, my staff or my establishment.
You did not communicate your dissatisfaction to either myself or my waitress while you were here, therefore not giving us any opportunity to rectify what you were unhappy with.
I believe on the day you were here my chef had been called away as his wife was having a baby, and we had lost a waitress that evening with a sickness virus that was going around, so you may have not seen a true refection of the warm friendly place we really are.
Perhaps when you are next in town you will allow me to 'spoil you rotten' and give you a fantastic meal of your choice.