“Skiing Whitefish at the beginning of March”

Whitefish Mountain Resort
Ranked #1 of 46 things to do in Whitefish
More attraction details
Owner description: Whitefish Mountain Resort, in northwest Montana, is noted for its laid-back vibe, world-class skiing, and unbeatable value. The resort sees an average of 300 inches of snow on its 3,000 acres, and is as well known for a pleasant lack of lift lines as for its consistently good snow conditions. When the snow melts, Whitefish Mountain Resort becomes home to thrilling zip lines and an alpine slide, world-class downhill and cross-country mountain biking, and the unique Walk in the Treetops, in addition to spectacular hiking, water sports, fly fishing, whitewater rafting, Glacier National Park, and more available in the greater Whitefish area. It is the perfect base camp for a summer visit to Montana’s majestic Flathead Valley.
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Before booking a trip to Whitefish for March 2013, I read reviews of Whitefish skiing from March 2012 in order to assess the quality of the skiing. There was a shortage of comments on the conditions of the hill so I wanted to offer some guidance to future travellers.

Our experience was very positive. We skiied two, consecutive days and had nothing but sun and temperatures above freezing. We only received a trace of snow on the first day and no fresh snow on the second day. The hills were well-groomed on the second day but in need of powder (some sections were slick). Over the course of the day, the snow on some hills became quick thick as the snow warmed up. Overall, the skiing at Whitefish were 'spring conditions" during our trip at the beginning of March.

I chatted with various skiers and learned that 80% of the ski days at Whitefish are foggy and can sometimes make for dangerous skiing. One woman was visiting from Texas over spring break with her family and said that over the 10 years they've been skiing at Whitefish in March, the weather has never let them down.

What surprised me most was that the hills were not very busy - short lift lines and sometimes no one on the hill but me. I highly recommend a trip to Whitefish in March.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Out of 3 days of skiing (we had originally planned 4), we could only see the mountain on the last day. The snow was terrific but following fog beacons down intermediate runs is not what we want to do on a ski vacation. We took a complimentary tour at 10:30 which was very beneficial in showing us the way down. Our guide pointed out the black runs which we could do in good visibility. Apparently the mountain is fogged in 50% of the time in Ja and Feb and I guess at the beginning of March. Next time we return, it will be in the summer to hike at Glacier N.P.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

The previous name of this resort was BIG Mountain and it is a fitting title: the place is HUGE!Tremendous amount of runs and long verticals to ski. Snow was great, grooming was good, variety was impressive. Of course, the ice-fog makes it challenging on occasion, but the resort provides a hosted tour of the mountain to help get you oriented. Over all this is a FABULOUS ski area. Highly recommended!

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Easy to find your way around when it's not foggy. It was my third time skiing there and finally figured it all out since it was sunny!!
Lots of nice terrain. No place to shop or any other distraction so just SKI your brains out!

Reviewed March 6, 2013

Took the train from Chicago to Whitefish for the purpose of skiing in January. The first day was full sun and the comments made to us on the lift was that this was a rare occurrence for the mountain since fog is common. Second day was light fog but still good visibility. I thought the skiing was great as did my 13 year old. Excellent choice of runs, mostly groomed, yet the option to go into the powder if you want. Lift lines were nil. I plan to make this an annual journey including the train ride. What a great town. Stopped into GNP but access is limited so don't plan on "seeing" the park. Could drive in about 10 miles and CC ski if you wanted.