“freindly staff and the spa's were absolutely great!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in White Sulphur Springs
Spa Hot Springs Motel
Great Falls, Montana
“freindly staff and the spa's were absolutely great!”
Reviewed May 26, 2014

my family went her and we had a great time. The staff was very friendly and made us feel very welcomed. we enjoyed all 3 spa's and felt so relaxed and had just a great time. I would recommend it for anyone who just needs to relax and forget about life.

Room Tip: the old rooms are great with children and they are large and a lot of room to move around in.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Bernadette W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Great Falls, Montana
Reviewed April 30, 2014

We head to The Spa twice a year and can not say one bad word about this place. Annie and her Staff are "Fantastic"! Beds are very comfy and the pools are always clean. One of the last best places in MT!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank MontanaMonica
Bozeman, Montana
Reviewed March 31, 2014

I am hesitant to write this review for purely selfish reasons. I absolutely love the springs and I absolutely love than we often have it almost to ourselves when we visit! We have been going to the spa for many years and always find it clean and enjoy our visits immensely. The water itself is pure magic, it will literally suck the pain out of you! It always makes my skin feel so soft that I don't even want to shower when I get out! I love that there are no chemicals in the water too. I feel like it is a bit of a secret gem ( so much better than Chico or Boulder) and I kind of want to keep it to myself :) The new rooms are amazing with great beds and always clean. We have visited many times and have never seen it less than immaculate. Enjoy your visit and tell only your special friends ;)

Room Tip: The new part of the motel is more expensive but super nice!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank renee t
Helena, Montana
Reviewed March 22, 2014

We have been going to this spa for the last 18 years. It is amazing. They have 3 pools of varying temperatures. They are drained and cleaned nightly. I meet people from all over the world that come here for the healing properties in the mineral make-up of these spa waters. No chlorine is ever added and it's not needed because it is always clean. The owners and workers are always nice and friendly. it is a family-friendly establishment. It's great for people of all ages. Within the last few years, they added an entire new 2 story wing to the motel that is absolutely beautiful with clean and classy rooms that are very comfortable. The motel is located right in town where it is easy to walk downtown for meals, street dances or other local events. I have encouraged many people to stay at this motel and they have all totally loved it. You can't go wrong staying here. You will love it. They have kickboxing classes during the winter that they invite anyone to join in. Locals and motel guests fill the class. we sure had a great time.

Room Tip: If you own a dog, they will allow it in the original wing of the motel. The new wing has 2 stories...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Lynn O
Warm Springs, Georgia
Reviewed March 14, 2014

This review is in 2 parts. The initial visit and a follow-up

Original review:
20 years after my first visit (and roughly 5~10 soaks a year), I've had my last at this place. The pools were so disgusting last night that I couldn't even bring myself to get in. First time ever that I've seen a Thick layer of scum on the 2 outdoor pools (which was present on Friday 2/14 and obviously hadn't been touched/cleaned until I went again on Monday 2/17), clumps of hair mixed with other 'stuff'. I have seriously never seen it so filthy before. I suspect that the newest owners are raising prices, cutting services/quality and just looking to ride the prior good reviews until they've milked it for all it's worth and then dump the property on someone else.

So, be warned. This WAS a place worthy of the reviews found online, but has taken a marked turn for the worse. I was in the changing room with another local last night who also couldn't bring himself to get into the water and was shocked at just how much the place had changed (for the worse) in the last few years. Even considering the newer outdoor pool. It's a difference between a one time effort and caring about the place Daily.

Thinking I may have been a little rash in my prior judgement I decided to chance one more visit. The pools were back to just slightly scuzzy, in other words, tolerable. The real issue is that the owner (and I was misinformed here, the owner has been the same since 1988) wanted to confront me.

This is the "make it or break it" moment for any business, how you deal with criticism/complaint/honest issue. Excellent companies, those that have stellar reputations, simply do what's needed to make it right, whatever "it" is. I've seen hotel rooms comped, airfare refunded, and no-cost replacement of items. This time was not one of those positive encounters. It was a lecture about how I was wrong... I was wrong about their ownership (and promptly said "Sorry about that, I was misinformed"), how they (SIC) 'set the standards in Montana' for their pools, and how their pools are cleaned nightly. Meanwhile, the owner said they had ~150 guests (no clarification on hotel or pool users) the day it was the worst and the owners wife admitted it was more dirty than usual that night. Ok, I guess that's a round-about way of admitting what I already knew, but the accusatory tone that accompanied the information made it somehow seem that I was wrong for telling things they way they were. I was accused of not tracking down the owner, despite the fact that I mentioned the issue to the on-duty staff and was ignored or at least she had no reply. The whole confrontation ended with my walking out, calmly and never having raised my voice or engaged in the argument, and being called a loudmouth before being told I was banned. I do find the last bits particularly amusing as why in the World would I want to offer money to be treated this way again? The last visit was simply because we had a pre-paid card.

The saddest part? The thing that provoked the above incident could have been Completely neutralized very simply. "I'm sorry the pools weren't to your standards those nights. We were very busy and will figure out how to prevent the same situation in the future", or something along those lines. But you'd think that someone who's owned the business for 26 years would know by now that there are busy weekends and the cleaning system is overwhelmed on those weekends. You'd think that when a minor renovation was done with the addition of a new pool and more rooms, that you might need to upgrade the filtration system as well. Or, maybe they did and there was a Real issue where it wasn't functioning ~ in that case it's probably a good idea to investigate once you know it's an issue (and it is an issue, when another local is grumbling about the conditions in the changing room without ever having gotten in, and multiple other guest comment to everyone in the area about the cleanliness, it's an issue).

For you, this is fine and dandy, just a single review. But consider what happens if you come in and find that your room hasn't been cleaned well/to your standards or the prior guest left you some "leftovers" that the cleaning staff missed? I mean, cleaning staff can have off days. How are they going to deal with your complaints? It's my guess that you'll be told that it's "impossible, our cleaning staff has been doing it for 20+ years", and worst case you'll be told to leave immediately. Is it worth the risk?

Guess I'll be putting my own hot tub to use more often now.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
8 Thank BrianMcC
AndreluzG, Owner at Spa Hot Springs Motel, responded to this review, March 22, 2014
I really don't want to get into a spitting match here, but this review simply needs a response.

Sometimes you get constructive criticism. Sometimes you just get criticism. And sometimes
what you get is a rant. Ladies and gentleman, this review is a rant, made by a person with an
agenda. I believe I know what that agenda is, and it's not pretty.

The reviewer wants to vilify "new management," saying they don't do things like the previous
management. Wrong. I've owned the business for 26 years.

The reviewer wants to disparage the quality of our new rooms, then admits he's never been
in one.

The reviewer claims we don't clean our pools on a nightly basis. Absolutely wrong. We
drain. clean, and refill our pools every night. (With the sole exception if the weather is sub
-20F, and the conditions are just too harsh. That's happened twice this year -bad winter-,
and not at all in 2013 and 2012.)

We have a standing offer for anyone to come around about midnight, and see us in the
process of pool cleaning. That offer is also extended to anyone concerned about the above review.

Finally, this reviewer first said that he would never come back here again, then two days
later here he was again. I asked to speak with him because I wanted to extend to him the
above offer to come at night and view the pool cleaning to verify for himself. Before I was
able to get that far in the conversation, he was stomping out the door again, claiming he
would never be back. I can only hope this time he will be true to his word. It would make
things so much nicer for the rest of us here.

Gene Gudmundson, Owner
Spa Hot Springs
Bozeman, Montana
Reviewed March 3, 2014

We have been staying at the Spa Hot Springs for some time now. We absolutely fell in love with it! It has the best pool content we've been to, you are almost buoyant in the water! The peaceful energy received is something that must be experienced to appreciate. Although the motel has some older rooms they also have newer rooms, I however enjoy the older rooms, they are a little more Montana-y. The staff was amazing, every time we have been there. Always friendly and accommodating. If you are looking for high class and ritzy...perhaps this isn't the place. However, if you are looking for peace, healing, comfort, and good, wholesome, kind-hearted Montana hospitality...THIS is the place! Oh and the beds are amazing!! Only here and Big Sky have I ever slept so well in a hotel bed. Amazing.

Room Tip: Really it is just a preference of older Queen/Full bed rooms or newer King bed rooms.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
White Sulphur Springs, Montana
Reviewed March 3, 2014

When you enter the motel you feel welcomed. Many of us are taking the water aerobics classes Monday-Thursday. We feel very blessed to be able to go to a pool that is 100% pure with no additives!! When we arrive in the morning we all know it has been cleaned the night before!! I would recommend this motel to anyone who wants a wonderful stay!! I have stayed at Chico, Fairmont, & Thermopolis and this pool is the very cleanest & knowing it is pure makes it even better!! I recommend this to all of my family and friends and when they come they all go home feeling so much better!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Been to Spa Hot Springs Motel? Share your experiences!