“Quiet, off the strip, and small...”

Yellowstone West Gate Hotel
Ranked #12 of 39 Hotels in West Yellowstone
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We stayed just two nights mid week. The hotel is off the main street by a half mile, which made the area quiet. We were given the handicap "suite" as it was the only room available when we booked. It was a single queen room. We are not handicap at all, and for a handicap room, it was not. The bathroom is large enough for a chair, but it is a tub shower and there is no drain in the middle of the bathroom. This is not code for a "Handicap" room.... The room was VERY small. No way in hell this was a handicap room.
The bed was comfortable, the room is what it is, it was clean, and remodeled. They had free wi-fi, and they had a free breakfast and coffee. The management and staff are very friendly and accommodating. This is a room after a long day at the park. If you are seeking something more, then you are setting yourself up for disappointment. You are there for the park and a place to clean and sleep after a night at the park. The bed is comfortable as is the hotel. The pool is nice, and they have a nice seating area outside.
Overall, I would go here again, but would book with more time to get a room with a double queen bed on the top floors.

Room Tip: Ask for a double queen room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Zarian
jschoenhard, General Manager at Yellowstone West Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Thank you for your response about our facility. Our barrier free rooms are a little small and do not have a roll in shower but have the bars in the tub and we do offer special chairs to be placed in the tub. The majority of our rooms are larger, especially the rooms with two queen beds and a sofa that can pull out in a bed, this room type has a lot of space. I hope you had a great time visiting Yellowstone

There are newer reviews for Yellowstone West Gate Hotel

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Mary Lou does an amazing job with the morning breakfast. It is substantial enough to keep you full until dinner and delivered with a big smile. We felt like we were with family. Great hotel, comfy rooms, great location and very nice pool.

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you for your comments about our property and Mary Lou our breakfast attendent. July is the busiest month of the year for us and Yellowstone National Park. Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

The service we received was outstanding, especially at the continental breakfast. The staff was friendly and went well beyond expectations with respect to accommodating our wants and needs. The mattresses, bedding and pillows were incredibly comfortable and the rooms were clean.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your comments and staying with us, I hope you enjoyed your vacation to Yellowstone.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

I booked this hotel online at the hotel website several weeks prior. We selected this hotel because of the good ratings at trip advisor. Unfortunately, I did not have a good experience. I arrived at 8:30 pm and was told that they were overbooked and that unfortunately our room was not longer available. When I told them that according to our reservation the room was guaranteed, they apologized and told us that we were the last guests to arrive and therefore our room was not longer available. They booked us at a close by hotel at the same rate. When we visited the hotel we decided not to stay as the appearance of the lobby was not to our liking (it did not look clean). We started looking for hotels at that time (peak season). We came across The Clubhouse hotel. Upon discussing it with the personnel at front desk, they were shocked for what had happened. They were very accommodating, while booking they asked me out of curiosity the name of the hotel where I had the reservation. As soon as I said it, the front desk personnel were astonished and very apologetic, it happened to be one of their sisters hotels. She told me that this was not the way the company operated and apologized immensely. Even gave us a discounted rate. Needless to say will NOT recommend Yellowstone West Gate hotel. If you choose to stay, please make sure that your room will be truly guaranteed.

Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank IColl

I apologize that we did not have your reservation for you when you arrived to check in at our property. We recently changed names from a Comfort Inn to the Yellowstone West Gate Hotel on May 12. We switched over to a new computer system and had to type in all of the previous reservations by hand so unfortunately we did have a couple of mistakes during this transition. I am glad to here that we were able to take care of you at one of our sister properties the Clubhouse Inn. Our company also has the Kelly Inn West Yellowstone and recently purchased The Cody Hotel in Cody, WY.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

We booked two rooms for two nights(confirmation # 1952 and 1953) with my brother meeting us with expectations that both rooms would be side by side or across the hallway from each other. We got to the hotel Thursday night July 18, 2013 and were told that they had other people that physically came in before us so they couldn't give us our room next to each other. When I reserved these rooms over a month ago I was told that the rooms would be adjacent to each other and to not worry. They apologized and said there was nothing they could do. To top it off I had a chance to look at my brother's room which was supposed to look exactly like mine and it was actually bigger than mine. The front desk had no idea what was going on and said both rooms should look exactly the same. Again, the same answer "sorry both rooms should look exactly the same". I feel that since I paid $260 a night for a room that this should not happen. Bottom line if you are booking more than one room and have specific requirements be prepared to have things change. Also the rooms that are shown on the website are not the rooms you will get, at least in my case the room was different than what the website showed. Outside of that the hotel was a decent hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

I apologize that we were not able to get you side by side but I noticed when I looked up your reservation and we did have you on the same floor but only 5 room doors away from each other. Both of you had the same room type but one of the rooms, 301, is located on the end of the building. Many times you will see in hotel properties that rooms located on the end or in the bend of a building that rooms will be slightly larger than rooms in the middle of the floor. This is probably why our desk staff said the rooms should be the same as they were the same room type offering the same amenities, with the only difference being one room was on the end of the building and being a little larger. Also, we only have 7 of these room types out of 79 rooms at our property. I hope you had a great vacation in Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons

Reviewed July 20, 2013

We stayed here 5 nights on our Yellowstone N.P. vacation. The hotel is located at the end of a street, a long way from all the dining and shopping in West Yellowstone. On the plus side, that keeps things quiet. Our room was okay; having the vanity/sink separate from the shower was good for all of us getting ready in the morning. However, internet reception was spotty at best, the tv picture was kinda fuzzy and the air conditioner was so noisy it woke me up every time it kicked on. Breakfast was good, with plenty of seating and friendly attendants. We enjoyed the indoor pool and spa room, although it could have used more tables and seating.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for making our property your vacation headquarters for visiting Yellowstone. Because of our remote location sometimes we will have some internet and TV receptions issues but they are experienced by the whole community. I hope you had a wonderful time in Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons.

Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

This place was out least favorite. The concierge was not helpful. The room keys never worked. The place wasn't super clean. The rooms were small and noisy. We stayed out of necessity as everywhere else was booked. Wouldn't return.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Lgf17

I am sorry to hear that you were not happy with your stay with us, not sure what you mean by concierge not helpful as we do not have that service. I do know that our front desk staff tries to answer all questions about our area. I hope that you had a good trip in the park.