A little background, I've travelled a lot on business and pleasure, so I've stayed in a bunch of places. Most places have been run of the mill Marriotts, Hiltons, Courtyards, Hampton Inn's and Fairfields.
With that being said, in my experiance the Gray Wolf Inn is a mediocre property that is poorly managed and maintained.
1. Continental breakfast. Decent, not as good as a Hampton, but similar to other offerings nearby in West Yellowstone (I have stayed in many properties here).
2. Location. Newer section of town.
1. General air of deferred maintenence. Staff describes owner as "cheap". You can tell this by the torn carpet in stairwells, banged up walls and the like. A little junky, but tolerable, if you have no choice. The property is relatively new, so that offsets the cheap factor for a while.
2. Television. I know you don't go to Yellowstone to watch TV, but the TV situation describes the attitude of the owner very well. They trumpet cable TV, but don't mention that the cable includes only about *6* stations -- and does not include ABC, NBC, FOX, PBS or CBS. Cable stations do not include ESPN or ESPN2 among many other standard stations.
Local network channels are provided via a ROOFTOP antenna (per hotel staff), which has very poor 'snowy' reception given that West Yellowstone is in the middle of nowhere. When I asked about this, staff said the owner didn't want to pay for the extra stations, even for local (MT, ID) channels.
When the weather is bad (which is not unusual in a place where it can snow in July), it is nice to relax and watch TV -- and this is not the place to do that.
3. Bedding. Beds are OK, if a little firm. Mattress covers had a hard time staying on the mattress on both our beds.
We ended up moving to the Holiday Inn, which was much better (but no continental breakfast) at about $10 more a night. I would also suggest looking at the Kelly Inn or Club Hotel which I have found to be much nicer at a similar price.
Overall, the Gray Wolf Inn is a place that is not terrible, but you can find much better accomodations for a similar price in West Yellowstone.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located just blocks from Yellowstone National Park's West Entrance, we are a modern, amenity-rich "base camp" from which to explore Yellowstone National Park. Amenities include a free, limited continental breakfast, underground parking, suites, indoor pool, hot tub, in room microwaves, mini fridges, coffee makers and free WiFi. Open year-round. New to Gray Wolf Inn and Suites, is a complimentary electric charging station! It is located in our underground parking, and features two (2) Tesla vehicle charging units, and one (1) for other standardized electric vehicles such as a Chevy Volt, Nissan Leaf, or Toyota Prius. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Gray Wolf Inn and Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gray Wolf Hotel West Yellowstone
- Gray Wolf West Yellowstone
- Gray Wolf Inn