“Excellent Base When Visiting Yellowstone”

Holiday Inn West Yellowstone
Ranked #5 of 39 Hotels in West Yellowstone
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We stayed 3 nights here in September 2013. It is more or less your typical Holiday Inn except for a couple of key differences - 1. The rooms have Jacuzzi's in them 2. The Branch restaurant is attached to the hotel, we ate there twice and enjoyed it. The biggest appeal of this place is the proximity to Yellowstone Park (you can be from Hotel parking lot to the West Gate in about 5 minutes). The hotel is also very convenient to the downtown area of West Yellowstone which has shopping and restaurants, etc. Staff is super friendly and the rooms are clean.

Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

Upon my arrival to this hotel I found staff friendly and helpful. As I checked into to the room I was assigned I walked in and noticed a spa next to the bed and was surprised by the size of it. However I also noticed a musty moldy smell to the room but ignored it do to being happy about the size of the room.

Later in the evening my wife and I decided to use the spa tub. We noticed that the spa jets looked a little dingy but thought it may have to do with the age of the spa. As we filled up the tub there was so many "floaters" that we decided to not get in.

The room was a great size and the bed was fairly comfortable and we both enjoyed a good nights sleep. In the morning I woke up with a severe sore throat and breathing problems. I am asthmatic and sensitive to the air I breath. As I got into the shower and it got worse. I then noticed mold on the walls and aroids the silicon calking of the shower.

After the shower and as I was getting ready for the day I kept thinking something was wrong and I shouldn't be feeling this way. I opened the air conditioner service door where the filter is located and what I saw disgusted me. The filter was dirty and black with approximately a quarter inch of filth all over the filter. The filter was twisted and sucked in because not enough air flow was getting through. I turned off the unit and opened the window. With in 5 minutes sitting by the open window my sore throat went away and I feel perfectly fine.

For the price of the room I do not recommend staying here. However the rooms are good sized and the bed is comfortable.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Travelerfromthatcher
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn West Yellowstone, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Dear Travelerfromthatcher,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Please allow us to apologize for the over-all issues you had during your stay. It is regrettable that we fell below your expectations. We want to assure you that our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. For that reason, we have sent you a private message to obtain some additional details. Thank you for staying and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed September 17, 2013

We came in the midst of a hail and lightning storm and Found the place most welcoming and cozy. The front desk was efficient and eager to please. We were in effect stranded by the weather which was cold and inclement in early afternoon. But the room was well lighted for reading. Cheerful almost. And very comfortable with a nice couch and a pot of coffee to brew up in our room. There was also an indoor pool heated and refreshing.
Because of the weather we ate at the Brand restaurant which had disparaging reviews but wasn't all that bad. The bison
Pot roast was quite good with our baked potato and our bottle of wine very tasty. The kitchen was overloaded at 7:00 which made the wait a bit longer than we might have wanted but the waitress, Adrian, was cheerful and efficient. Certainly not a gourmet affair but pretty good on the whole. The many diners we saw were from many different countries and enjoying their food it seemed to us. Maybe it was indeed the weather, but it seemed to my hubby and me that our fellow diners were happy to be well fed and sheltered from the storm. Not bad at all.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Stayed two nights while visiting Yellowstone Park. Very convenient to park and walking distance to everything in town. Plenty of parking, nice rooms easy checkin by friendly staff. Great location for exploring West Yellowstone.

Room Tip: Ask for top floor for nice views.
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed here the nights of 8/25 and 8/26/2013. Since we made our reservations not too far in advance, choices were limited at this time of year. Apparently, judging from the comments of others, we did all right! It was quiet, no problem parking and everyone was civil and helpful.

Scenic or lavish? No. But for the benefit of "nos amis de France et Paris", I found it refreshing not to have to call for explanation of the plumbing system! ( By the way, the hotel is in Montana, not Wyoming.)

The complimentary breakfast is to be found at :The Branch", adjoining the hotel itself. It was very good in terms of choices. As for fresh-squeezed OJ, can't say I've ever found that on the buffet in this sort of place. Try Florida---not many orange trees in Montana, pardners!

Room Tip: Go for the third floor. There are elevators.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 17, 2013

What choice is there in WY, any way ? Chain hotels or low end motels ar average hotels ? We decided to play it safe, and booked a 2-room family suite (2 bedrooms + 2 bathrooms) for our party of 3. We were not thrilled by the perspective, but the target was not splurging on lavish accomodation, yet to be found ion the area, but a decent, clean, soundproof room for the duration of our Yellowtone visit.

This is just what this delivers, for $352 tax inclusive, breakfast extra.

Place looks good from outside. Parking not a problem. Check-in understaffed.
The room was on the second floor, wrapping around the elevator well. Surprise is we were never disturbed by the elevators, and we thought we might be.
Large rooms. Good beds. Good housekeeping, a lttle light one the vaccuming. Aircon very noisy, but we could wleep with windows opened anyway, which we prefer. Although the place was booked to capacity, we never felt annoyed by the crowd ; lots of visitors from China, mostly travelling by bus (as anywhere else in the US these days, or so it seems), who must have different hours.

Adjoining restaurant serves decent breakfast, with gracious attendants. No freshly squeezed OJ to be found here.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn West Yellowstone, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Dear frenchandparisian,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent visit at our hotel and for providing us with your valuable feedback. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your room and the majority of features provided. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to improve and continually provide the best experience possible.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed September 9, 2013

This motel was an excellent location while visiting Yellowstone Nat. Park. We made the mistake 4 years ago (because we didn't know better) and booked a very nice place in Jackson, Wyoming. It was our first trip to YNP. The drive every evening getting back to Jackson was 100 miles I believe from Grant Village. The fact that you are having to watch for all wildlife on the road day and night made it a very long drive back and forth. Having been thru that 4 years ago made this location and the hotel a very good choice for us. The hotel was clean & staff very friendly. The price was high however all hotels in and around Yellowstone are expensive. We will stay there again the next trip to YNP. I would recommend it.

2  Thank Cocacolanana