“Good value, great service.”
Review of Lazy G Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in West Yellowstone
Lazy G Motel
Ranked #17 of 39 Hotels in West Yellowstone
Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 5 nights. The owners were helpful with suggestions on places to eat and shop. The room was comfortable and quiet. I liked that it is away from the center of town, but close enough. I would rather stay there again than at a chain hotel with over- priced poor service and quality.

• Stayed: May 2013

Reviewed April 8, 2013

As a first timer in Yellowstone, I didn't know where to go and of course, my wife and I didn't want to disappoint ourselves by spending too much on a fancy hotel with the same amenities of a decent motel. We ended up browsing here in tripadvisor and for the length of my trip here in yellowstone (i was just passing by, 2 nights) have decided to pick the Lazy G. We saved quite a bit of money as we were always out during the day so staying in a nice hotel was not worth it, specially if the main purpose was to crash for a few hours. To my surprise, this is a very nice motel. Clean and comfortable and the people who run the place are very nice and helpful people. I would recommend this to the budget traveler.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 20, 2012

If you want to stay where the owner/manager is helpful and generous, stay here. We were going to West Yellowstone for the Ski Festival over Thanksgiving. The Lazy G was opening on Thanksgiving Day but they agreed to open a day early for us (two couples, two rooms). Maybe other people were staying there too but they bent over backwards to meet our desires. THEN, no snow in West Yellowstone. So, right before going, we called and again, they bent over backwards to accommodate our need to change reservations. The prices and location are great, the service even better.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank 176maxg
Reviewed October 19, 2012

If you are looking for a very basic motel this one is more than adequate. The hosts are very friendly and very responsive to any problems. However, the motel is older and the rooms reflect that. At the same time they are very clean and spacious. This motel is located in an older section of the village but we appreciated the quiet away from the main center area of town. The main problems we encountered were the poor water pressure in the very tiny shower and the slow internet speed (this is probably not their fault).

5  Thank kootenaygal2
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We took our younger son on a trip to Yellowstone as a sort of treat for him before impending surgery. We couldn't find two rooms for the length of time we wanted, so when the Lazy G offered us a 2B/2BA house at a great price, we decided to try something new. It was wonderful! The house had two good-sized bedrooms, two baths, a big kitchen and large LR area with fireplace and two couches. So cozy, so comfortable, and so homey coming back from each day in the park. The owner was extremely accommodating and helpful, especially pointing us in the direction of the Outlet, where we all got jackets because we hadn't brought any - foolish us - and were freezing - and we got them for $10 each because the Smalls weren the ones left over and not selling. Lucky us to be three small people! When we were leaving, the owners were putting in a new stove and refrigerator, and are planning more upgrades, although it was perfect the way it was for us. We would not hesitate to return there in the future.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank mom2cjnk
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I must say I could not disagree more with the review below by 1happyrover. This hotel is near perfect for what it is. To disparage it by claiming it is not a "high end quality hotel experience" is like saying you didn't get a Rolls-Royce when you rented a Toyota. We were probably there during the same time because we saw the guys outside their room but they were friendly and very considerate, they did play some music but it was unobtrusive and stopped at an early hour.

We truly enjoyed our 6 nights at the Lazy G. Janice, the owner, has her guests' comfort and convenience as a priority. We stayed in Room #1, next to the road, and were very happy with it and the kitchenette. Even being next to the road, it was extremely quiet. Yes, it is a bit retro (but not nearly as much as some places I've seen) but clean, well-thought out, and comfortably furnished. Although we turned it on exactly once, our room had a new flat-screen TV and excellent wi-fi access. We thought it was lovely.

We cooked some very good meals in our immaculate and well-equipped kitchenette and enjoyed the convenience of eating on our own schedule. We were offered advice on where to go/eat, loaned hiking books, and in general made to felt that the family running the motel were there to give us any help we needed.

Additionally, even though temperatures were down to the 20's and 30's at night, the room was incredibly well insulated and we didn't have to even use the heater. The bed was very comfortable for us, and we ARE middle-aged!

I recommend this hotel for anyone who wants a family-run, quality, reasonably priced motel away from the relative bustle of the main area of W. Yellowstone.

4  Thank corisline
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My husband and I are frequent visitors to Yellowstone Park. Given the number of times we've visited West Yellowstone, I am aware that it's generally not possible to find a high end quality hotel or motel experience. I assume, given the lack of competition in the area, there is simply no incentive for hoteliers to go overboard on room quality.

Understanding the basic hotel standards in the area, we decided to try accomodations that were not part of a major chain in the hopes that perhaps it may be a unique personalized experience. With that in mind, we checked the West Yellowstone hotel reviews and decided on the Lazy G.

I'll start with the positives. The room was clean and the owners and their hard working and genuinely friendly manner saved this review from a "poor" rating because the room we were in was like stepping into a time machine and not in a good way.

The few photos that are on-line give the impression that the rooms have a rustic lodge appeal which is rather fitting in Yellowstone but in person, what we discovered was more reminiscent of 1970s basement panelling; the room felt dark and oppressive.

The decor wasn't grubby but it was so dated (an old tv, vintage push button phone, keys for the door instead of a card readers, old tables and chairs, a 70s lamp, granny curtains and bedding) that the level of cleanliness came secondary to the overall impression. The beds we were in were old and my husband and I barely slept. I am neither middle aged or elderly and I woke up with aches. The room could truly benefit from a complete refurbishment but minimally a comfortable bed is essential.

I assume the hotel is frequented by locals in the area because when we would return to our room there were hotel guests parked outside our hotel door, playing music and having a bbq with the owners. At times, it felt like we were infringing on their space and we certainly couldn't open our front window without having the activity outside sound like it was occuring in our room.

I cannot reconcile the overly enthusiastic reviews against the experience we had because it just did not measure up to the qualitive comments, however, I do give credit again for the fact that it is a family business run by people who took care to be welcoming and ensure the room was clean.

4  Thank 1happyrover