“Too many issues, especially the bugs...”
Review of Brandin' Iron Inn

Brandin' Iron Inn
Ranked #14 of 39 Hotels in West Yellowstone
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 16, 2012

We stayed here in July 2012. It was mom and dad (40s), MIL (70s), and two boys (7 & 12). I know that this property seems to get pretty good reviews for a budget hotel in West Yellowstone, but I just could not get over some issues that really made me uncomfortable here.

First for the good: The room was clean and seemed well maintained. There was plenty of room for moving around, and we were able to fit a roll away without much trouble. The beds were comfy enough with good clean sheets and pillows. The staff was really friendly. The room was a good rate for this area and it was easy to get to everything in town from here. There is a laundry building on site, but also see below on this. Has a spa with two hot tubs, so I am guessing this is good since I did not hear anyone complaining about it, but we did not get a chance to check it out.

The bad: Laundry machines broke down and people not coming back for laundry equals long wait to get clothes done. Parking was horrible. People were having to park off by the parking area for RV customers as the lot was just to crammed full. We had to squeeze into a tiny spot and hope no one dinged our doors.

The ugly: Right as we were going into our room, I see these big, waterbug/beetle/roach-looking things flying all around the whole area and on the door and window frames, cars, just everywhere. See the pictures. They really really grossed me out. We were in the back of the property, near the laundry building, so maybe that warmth from there attracted them or maybe they are just a bug that is common to this area, but I got the creeps every time I was outside the door. We were doing laundry one night (see above), and the light from the laundry room was attracting these bugs into the building. My husband must of killed 20 or more that flew in at us. One landed on me and freaked me out, so I was buggy feeling the rest of the time there. Finally, we just shut the door and watched for people wanting to come in. There were no bugs that we could see inside the hotel room, but it made me nervous as there were so many of them outside. We washed our clothes and put them directly back in the truck, rather than taking the chance of having one of the nasty things catch a ride with us. Another bug issue was at breakfast the first morning we were here (we stayed two nights). Everything looked fine with the breakfast (typical hotel breakfast with what I thought were some good hot choices), until I went to pick up a fork out of the silverware tray. There was a little worm thing crawling around in there. Also, the bottom of the tray was filthy. It literally looked like it had not been cleaned in a long time. That was it. I was not hungry anymore, so I skipped breakfast. We went to McDonald's the next day.

Bottom line, the parking and laundry room issues were irritations for us, but the bug issue was too much for me to enjoy anything else with this hotel. If you can live with the bugs outside the room, skip the breakfast until they clean up their silverware area, and just stay in the room for the little time you will probably spend in it anyway, go ahead and try this place. I myself could not go back, though, and would not recommend it to anyone I know. If this is a bug issue throughout the town, I would not be able to stay any where here. (BTW: We did not see them anywhere else in town, but were usually here at dusk and night, which is when they were really noticeable.)

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Shawni_and_Buck
BrandinIronInn, Owner at Brandin' Iron Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Hi Shawn. Thank you for leaving a review for the Brandin’ Iron. We have addressed your concerns about the property, thank you for bringing them to our attention. Regarding the beetles that you encountered, they are called a Brown Prionid. They are indigenous to the area, and feed on dead pine trees. They are an important member of our ecosystem, as they help the dead fallen trees deteriorate faster, and return valuable nutrients back to the soil. Every day we have someone collect the beetles, and return them to the forest. They are attracted to exterior lights on the building, so it’s inevitable that some find their way back to the property each day. I hope these unique critters didn’t distract from your overall enjoyment of Yellowstone. Thanks for staying at the Brandin’ Iron Inn.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

We stayed 2 nights here and it was very nice. The staff was friendly and helpful. It is in a great location and you can walk to several restaurants. The beds were very comfortable and the rooms were large and nice. They have a nice breakfast with lots of choices and a good size room to sit in. It is very easy to get the Yellowstone from here.. Will stay again

1  Thank Eby5
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We stayed 4 nights at the Brandin' Iron in West Yellowstone. Location was great for touring Yellowstone and the town. Staff was very friendly. Used the laundry facility and they have 6 washers and 6 dryers so you don't have to wait to do all of your laundry. Breakfast was good, standard but they have cheese omlets which was a little different. Room was good, standard room but clean. Much cheaper than some hotels in the area and if you are touring Yellowstone, you are not in the room much anyway. No pool but an indoor hot tub.

1  Thank jackie s
Reviewed September 4, 2012

The staff is amazing and Jermey was extremely accommodating. He made everything great. It's in a great location, just two blocks from the Yellowstone national park entrance and in the center of town. Breakfast is served every morning. I would recommend this to anyone going to Yellowstone!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank ChaSarTes
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I deal with a lot of business travel and it's not often I am "wowed" by staff and ownership in dealing with unusual circumstances and requests. Requests that put the customer experience at the forefront! I couldn't have been treated better or had a more lasting impression from the folks at Brandin' Iron....Thank You!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Deborah S
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Being right outside Yellowstone, made this hotel very convenient. It is within walking distance of West Yellowstone shops and restaurants. The hotel is clean and sufficient as a Yellowstone base camp. Free breakfast was available in the morning. The pricing was better than most hotels in the area.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank winrit
Reviewed August 8, 2012

No exterior lighting working both dangerous and making finding room lock difficult. Reported to staff who said had a fire lights are out but seemed little concerned and anyway why not tell us with an apology on arrival?
Wifi not working again no one told us we had to ask front lobby coffee machine not working either.
Be prepared for a long hike for ice although rooms have fridges.
Rooms comfortable clean only the washbasin is part of room rather than bathroom which itself is cramped. If they could get on top of maintainance and customer service by letting you know when there is a problem I could recommend it as a a place to stay to tour Yellowstone park. Complimentary breakfast good.

1  Thank rab6b