“Our First Camping Trip” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Yellowstone Park KOA

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in West Yellowstone
Yellowstone Park KOA
Pine Bluffs, Wyoming
“Our First Camping Trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed here in order to guarantee a place close to Yellowstone. It's our first camping trip with our trailer, and we were not sure what to expect. It was very pleasant. They have putt-putt golf at a reasonable price as well as an indoor pool and playground for the children. There are plenty of showers on site which were nice as well. All of the staff we encountered were friendly and/or helpful. They have little bikes, etc. to get around the facility for fun; however, I did feel as if they were a bit pricy for the amount of time you kept them.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Farmington Ut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

We had passed this KOA several times that we have visited West Yellowstone and decided to camp there this year. We were very pleased with our camp site (#30). It was clean and had shade in the morning and some in the afternoon. We were greeted by a young man who showed us where are camp site was, how to get there and where we could park our trailer that was for my husbands motorcycle. People in the main office was very friendly and helpful. As I have read some of the other reviews, I think that they may have had people that had had a bad day or something because I never encountered any problems at all. They were all very friendly and were from all over the country and other countries for the summer.

We didn't go to the pool area so I can't comment on that and the dumpsters were full as stated but they were empty on Monday when we left.

I would stay there again. I think that sometimes we expect more from a camp ground but we have to remember it is a camp ground not a hotel. I'm surprised that they couldn't help those that were not happy with their sites and I agree that the manager should have called them back to see what could be done.

They have great fudge and a good selections of items to buy in the store and they are a little bit less that you would pay in West Yellowstone stores.

Over all it was fun and close to the West Yellowstone entrance, ( 6 miles away). Give them a try and if not happy let them know.

Room Tip: Call when they open in Feb. to get a good site and if you know which site you want ask for it, maybe...
1 Thank grandmahutch
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

Like you, I take reviews with a grain of salt, but know they can be indicative of a bigger problem. After reading recent reviews for the this KOA, I was nervous. Everyone was complaining about the wifi and I knew I needed to be able to check in with work. Uh oh. I emailed the KOA to ask about the wifi and received a prompt response from Steve, the general manager. Phew! I was already impressed. The wifi was out in early July after a lightening storm, but would be back. When we arrived, it was. Now, don't go expecting to watch videos all day. I mean, you're camping. You shouldn't be watching videos anyway! But, if you need to check work email or look something up, you're good to go. And let's face it, that's the way it should be.

As for the customer service, I agree with some of the other reviews. I also found the operations manager to be gruff and unhelpful. But everyone else was friendly and great. Plus, when I told the GM about my experience I received yet another immediate response. Let's face it, it's the height of their busy season. These employees are working 7 days a week, 12 hours a day. I'd get frustrated too. It's not the right response, I'm not condoning it, but let's cut them a little slack.

We really enjoyed our stay. On the first night, we were placed in a busy location, which wasn't what we preferred. We asked to move the next day and ended up in a gorgeous location right by a field filled with horses. We stayed there for four nights. Amazing. The facilities were clean and well maintained. Not sure who thought the pool was dirty, but that definitely wasn't my experience. It was pristine on both occasions, which is impressive because I don't think the campers make it easy on the staff, but they keep up!

All in all, I was very impressed. This was my first RV experience and I was expecting the worst since I really would prefer a four-star hotel, so if you can impress me, you're doing a great job.

Don't listen to the other reviews. Give this site a chance. And if you have a complaint, email the KOA and give them a chance to fix it before airing your grievances online. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at their prompt and helpful responses.

Room Tip: Use the West Yellowstone KOA's website to book instead of the main KOA site. It describes the lo...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
      Rooms
1 Thank Laura H
New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

I will agree with the fellow reviewers that the "younger" staff members are pretty rude and need some serious customer services skills!! The younger blond that checked us in was anything but friendly. Well lets just say I think rude even is too nice to describe her crummy attitude. However, the older people who work and run the facilities were amazing!! An older gentlemen even offered my son and I a ride to our cabin on his gator to get us out of the rain. This is the busiest KOA I have stayed at. So be prepared for lots of people, young families and kids. I am almost sure they fill up every night during the summer. We stayed in a 2 room cabin that was perfect, and exactly what we expected. It was right next to a cooking area, which was unexpected and wonderful. The bathrooms were next door and very busy. But the campground was full the two nights we stayed there. We also loved the bike rental and loved being minutes away from Yellowstone park. This was our second time in 14 years staying there, and chances are we will return. Hopefully by then they will find some better youth to work !

Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Viby J
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

Will never stay at this campground again and will tell everyone (offline and online) about my bad experience!
I booked the stay in advance on KOAs own website. Printed the confirmation to be well prepared
and expected everything to be all right when checking in. When my family arrived on July 4 2013 we were faced with
a rude dude (earrings in both ears - now you are warned). Suddenly the booking costed 77$ instead of 51$ per
night. I stood there with the printed confirmation (in which both my RV site with details and the price of 51$ was documented!). What happened: he accused me of having "fixed" the printed pages..
You must also know this: the swimming pool (which is indoor) was dirty. Couldn't see the bottom.
(we stayed at 77$ per night - at the site we booked for 51$ per night).

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Thomas S

Travelers are raving about these West Yellowstone hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

Spacious sites. Deluxe sites have beautiful concrete patios with swings and fire grates. Close to Yellowstone. Excellent facilities: pool, playground, grill, store, etc.
Top notch campground. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2013
West Yellowstone, Montana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

We made reservations 6 months in advance and when checking in we received site #16, which has absolutely no shade morning or evening, even with our awning down. We went to the office right away (prior to setting up) and told them we were not happy with the site and wanted another spot - there were plenty available near us. We were told that their computer makes the selections and they could not change our site. The next morning 5 spots near us became empty and we went again to ask to be moved. Same story. We are really upset that we got what we think the worst spot in the park an for $65.00 a day!!!! Not happy at all with the way this KOA manages their reservations and how they deal with unhappy campers! I would not recommend this KOA!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple