“A Delightful Retro Motel minutes from Yellowstone”
Review of One Horse Motel

One Horse Motel
Ranked #15 of 39 Hotels in West Yellowstone
Reviewed August 25, 2013

The One Horse Motel is a throwback to the golden age of motor travel. Pack up the kids and hit the road! Before Holiday Inns, and Howard Johnson’s appeared on the travel scene, this is the kind of lodging you stayed at. A small property with a minimum number of cement block walled rooms, the One Horse is a delightful surprise! How can a motel this small be so nice? Owners Mike & Holly do a wonderful job running their operation. Nicely decorated and very clean full featured units -with fridge, microwave, flat panel TV, Wi-Fi, air conditioner and ceiling fan. I dare you not to smile.

The many dining & gift shop options are just a short walk away. Leave the car where it is!

I mentioned the attractively painted block walls only to hint at the quiet they provide. And quiet it is! A small laundry room is just steps away for your use, along with a hotel/motel first for me -A take all you want ice machine! No take a small bucket back to your room here -Fill the cooler -We don't care! I love it. I did it. Twice.

A very basic but nice breakfast area is set up each morning. Coffee, Tea, Oatmeal, packaged snacks only. Still well done though. It's just fun. Also nearby is a free hose/bucket setup for washing your car, if you decide not to use the pay wash across the street. The ONLY negative item during our two nights was the less than stellar TV reception. Perhaps due to the location of the town itself. No big deal.

I spoke with Mike upon checkout for a few minutes, and he may be the happiest guy I've ever met.

In a small town with THREE Best Westerns, The One Horse Motel is worth checking out.

Room Tip: It's a small property, so book early!

Reviewed August 17, 2013

We were heading to West Yellowstone for 2 nights and were booking in advance, just about all the other hotels were overpriced or already sold out and I decided i would take a chance on this one. And I am so happy I did. Everyone was very friendly, the rooms were very clean and tidy. Not only that the rooms made you feel like you were in the country side and felt very comfy and like you were at your own little home. It was a small hotel so it was like you were in your own little community for two nights. Everyone said hello to each other. The next time I go to yellowstone I won't even bother looking at another hotel, I will be going right back to the One Horse Motel.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

This is an older property of the "Motel" era. I like parking at my front door and a motel is a nice distraction from the soul-less hotel boxes. Yes the property is old and is constrained by the design of the time. However, the rooms are nicely decorated and provide everything you need, to include a refrigerator, microwave, wi-fi, and small but clean and nicely appointed bathrooms. Would be nice to have queen beds instead of doubles, but the small rooms probably would not accomodate the larger beds. As I layed on my bed I tried to think of ways to improve the room, given the constraints of the construction, and couldn't come up with a single thing (outside of the beds) to improve. That shows the level of care and attention that went into this property. As for the breakfast, it would be nice to have a larger selection of items but it was pretty much as described in other reviews. I'm not a fan of West Yellowstone in particular, but if you're staying there and have reasonable expectations this property will not disappoint.

2  Thank Skullmann
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Stayed here for one night on a cross country roadtrip, and it was all we needed for the night. Clean, small but cozy room, good bed, and close to everything in town. Also has a fridge, microwave, and flat screen TV.
We made a reservation and were getting in late at night and the owner called us making sure we were still on our way and left our key out for us. Would recommend for other travellers.

2  Thank CdnTraveller91
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We needed a place to hang our hats for two nights in West Yellowstone. Considering that W. Yellowstone is right at the entrance to the National Park, one would expect higher room rates; this one is pretty reasonable. The proprietor, Mike, is a really nice guy who was very friendly and extremely helpful with directions & travel suggestions. The room was tiny but clean and attractive. It would be nice if there were a dresser to put clothes (probably more necessary than a desk, if space is an issue). Breakfast is really just coffee/tea & snacks. One block walk to just about everything in town.

1  Thank Richard H
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Yes, the host is very nice and yes, the room is very clean, but I can not honestly recommend this motel. It's depressing. The low ceiling, small room, dark lighting, dated furniture just don't work for me. Certainly, the bed and bedding is surprisingly nice, and they give you lots of towels, but the rooms are just sad. The "breakfast" is coffee, tea, and wrapped Hostess-like snacks. Perhaps this is the best West Yellowstone has to offer? All the motels look pretty much alike. If so, it's OK for one night. But at over $100 per night, it's no value.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Julie C
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Rooms clean, looks recently upgraded. Staff very helpful, we had to do some repairs to our truck and they even loaned us a few tools we didn't have with us. Right across the street ffrom the park where the Yellowstone Rod Run Show and Shine was held. They had room for our truck and trailer right next to the building and we could check out the window to make sure it wasn't being bothered, which, it never was. I would definitely come back, clean, rooms quiet and staff friendly.

Room Tip: we had a king sized bed and had plenty of room for all our assorted bags.