“If you can handle a hostel, you can handle Hadley's Motel”
Review of Hadley's Motel

and 1 more site!
Hadley's Motel
Ranked #27 of 39 Hotels in West Yellowstone
Anacortes, Washington
“If you can handle a hostel, you can handle Hadley's Motel”
Reviewed June 16, 2011

I'll always prefer a funky old cabin over a cookie-cutter motel, but my philosophy sort of backfired on me with Hadley's Motel. I have no idea what the motel-style rooms are like, but the cabin we stayed in was funky to the max. It was a real log cabin, with chinking between the logs, and our cabin probably dates back to the 1930's. While the room was clean enough, the tiny bathroom was like a box that had just been dropped into the room. And when my friend took a shower in the morning, she never turned on the cold H2O....the "hot" water was tepid at best. At first I thought the bathroom was open at the top, but it actually was enclosed. The bed was comfy enough, with a wool blanket on it. When was the last time you saw that in a chain?
All we needed was a place to lay our heads before & after going to the Park. Hadley's filled the bill.
By the way, in addition to the almost overpowering tawdriness and cheesiness that marks the downtown of West Yellowstone, even the fruit stand across from Hadley's at the corner of Gibbon & N. Canyon was sub-par. And luckily, thanks to a two year old review on TripAdvisor that said in '09 "This place has not brewed its own beer in over 10 years", we were forewarned about Wolf Pack "Brewing", which says in large letters on the front "MICROBREWERY", but is not a brewery. I saw no evidence of a brewing plant on the premises, and was told by a woman sitting in the bar that the "brewmaster hurt is back, and hasn't been able to brew for the last month". Make that "this century"

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank RealAles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Custer, SD
Reviewed June 10, 2011

It's difficult to know what to write about this motel. I think they are in the process of restoring and renovating as they did have new windows which actually opened which was nice and the beds were extremely comfortable. Unfortunately the rest of the cabin we stayed in left a lot to be desired. The shower room was tiny but had everything necessary in there though one or more body parts would get hit just turning around. The kitchen was old, the stove very old but there was a large fridge which was useful. We had a problem when more than a couple of things were plugged in as it tripped the power which, in view of the look of the wires in the room, is hardly surprising, but they did fix that pretty quickly though we had to call them as there was nobody on site.
For a rustic and extremely basic experience, I'd say try it, but I hope they restore the cabins quickly as they could be very nice with loads of character. They do need to clean the rooms a bit better though as we found stuff in the fridge and the bathroom garbage can hadn't been emptied which was not very nice. The owners were nice and friendly though.
I'm afraid we nicknamed this motel 'Bates Motel' and have laughed about our experience ever since.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Brit57730

Travelers are raving about these West Yellowstone hotels

Lubbock, Texas
Reviewed May 31, 2011

I booked our stay based on photos and reviews. When we arrived Fri evening at 6:20 the owner ask us to come back in an hour...ok I guess. We returned, checked in to the "cabin"...wasn't expecting such a small space, no place to hang our clothes or put our bags, the small heater is under the table making it impossible to get heat to the bathroom. Had to call office to get him to "turn on wi-fi" which on stayed on 10 min. The bathroom is so small had we been any bigger we would not have been able to sit on the commode. No hot water, just luke warm. Owner said let it run a couple of minutes, left it running for 15, luke warm. My husband was not pleased with me because I chose this motel. The cabin was clean was the only good thing. For $100 would have expected more:(

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank keoden23
Oshkosh, Nebraska
Reviewed July 20, 2010

We had started our trip thru Wyoming when I got a phone call saying we were not going to be able to stay at Hadley's due to plumbing issues(12 hours notice). However he did make the arrangements for us to stay in another motel, they had trouble collecting from him. I felt like he could have offered something for the inconvience.Manager has no business skills!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank ALake99
Sulligent, Alabama
Reviewed July 16, 2010

My family has been planning this trip for a year now. We made reservations in March/April for our six night stay and received email confirmation, paid our deposit and arrived at Hadleys to find a note on the front door informing us that they were temporarily closed and had made alternate reservations at another motel in town. We drove to the other motel to find out that we would be in one room for 3 nights and then transfer to another room for the remainder of our stay. Not what I asked for. The room cost us more per night than we had budgeted for and we ended up having to cut our stay one night short. When I emailed Hadley's about it, they were offended that I was not grateful that they made alternate reservations for me. The courtesy of an email or phone call informing me of the changes would have been nice but the email indicated that they are satisfied with the way it was handled. NOT fair to me nor my family, in my opinion. AND I am the customer paying for the service. I cannot rate the motel, only the service.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank msminner
Southwest, MN
Reviewed June 14, 2010

I am writing this review because I am surprised at the negative reviews that Hadley's motel has gotten. What did you expect for the money you paid? When we stayed at this motel it was WAY cheaper than any other motel around. If that alone doesn't give you a clue, what would? Our family is usually campers, but it seems that around Yellowstone everyone charges for showers. It was cheaper to stay at this motel than to camp. The rooms are not luxurious, but they were better than camping, and they were clean. We found the owner/manager to be very friendly and he didn't seem to care that we have a lot of kids. When we vacation we spend very little time in our motel room, but if you are the type that likes to relax and enjoy your room, this probably isn't the place for you. If you are looking for a clean, cheap, place to sleep while you travel Yellowstone, this one works well. I loved the $$ we saved. Getting ice from the office was a little inconvenient, but I guess for the money we saved, I could have bought my own ice.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank justmyopinion96
Ithaca
Reviewed September 17, 2008

The Motel manger was rude, the room was dirty. No telephone in the room or even in the hotel office is available. Shower head was leaking all night. Nothing good about this Motel. Overpriced. Don't book this one.

• Liked — Free wireless
  • Disliked — Almost everything
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank CarolChing