“Did not honor "Confirmed Reservation"” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Historic Madison Hotel

The Historic Madison Hotel
Ranked #18 of 39 Hotels in West Yellowstone
Dallas
“Did not honor "Confirmed Reservation"”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2009

I made a reservation via Madison's website on July 15th, secured the reservation with a credit card and received a hotel confirmation receipt via email. My stay was planned for August 4th. On July 24th (9 days after I booked my reservation) Madison Management emailed me to explain they had double booked my room and they did not have any available rooms. I had made several financial travel commitments based on the confirmed reservation and they provided no support.

I emailed the management explaining I had a "Confirmed Reservation" and had received an email confirming my reservation. I have received no response.

Buyer BEWARE!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Puget Sound
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2009

... and not only a great value, but a very nice slice of history! I wasn't expecting much when I reserved a room at this hotel. I called in a reservation late in the day, on a Wednesday evening, and was quoted $89. I didn't get to the hotel until 10pm, and talked to a kind older woman at the front desk. In speaking quietly with a traveling companion, I said that I wasn't expecting anything impressive, given the fact that they had rooms available on such short notice and were so reasonably priced. We finished check-in, and proceded to the rooms. I opened the door, and it felt like coming home. The small single bed room was mostly filled by the queen sized bed, but but everything was clean, and the bedding was in very good repair. The furniture, blinds, and carpeting all matched and were in no way garish. The furnishings, though inexpensive, were well maintained. Toilet, shower, and sink were in good repair. And the overall feeling of the room was one of coziness, of warmth. I returned to the office after unpacking to inquire about wireless access, and in giving me the code for their WiFi, the woman behind the counter gave me a bit of the history of the hotel (of which I was completely unaware... I booked here just out of convenience and desperation). I then told her how much I liked the room, and she informed me that she was the owner, and her husband was doing all the restoration work in the rooms. I thanked her for her courtesy and her husband for his handiwork, and proceded to enjoy my stay greatly.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank straydpulliam
beccadaizy
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2008

When we booked the room on the hotel website we were impressed by the pictures of the room, it looked antique. When we arrived we were greeted by the front desk by a very nice man. He emphisized the historical nature of the building and that we should treat our room as such. We got to the roomed and The only historical feature to the room was the log ceiling. The walls were fake wook paneling. The curtains were made in about 1991. The bathroom was tiny including the miniature bathtub(which was pretty comical to watch someone actually try to bathe in it). The bathtub also was not cleaned and I had to clean it myself before we were able to use it. The good thing about the room was the air conditioner and the price. It was not what I expected but it wasn't horrible either.

• Liked — Air conditioner, price
  • Disliked — bath tub
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Denver, CO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2008

We didn't spend a lot of time in our hotel room, but it was basic and had nearly everything we needed. We had booked a rustic hotel room, but were informed upon arrival that since my son was not quite 3 that we were not allowed to stay in the hotel rooms. I was OK with that. I can understand how in an old hotel the rooms are probably not so soundproof and if you have a crying baby in the room next door it may not be so pleasant... So we would up in one of the motel rooms outside behind the hotel, which cost us an extra $10 per night.

The room was a pretty good size and the beds were comfortable enough. The only real negative for us was that the motel rooms only have a shower- no tub- which my 2 year old was NOT happy about! The cleaning staff were all teenagers in their pajamas, being VERY loud! This wasn't a problem most days, but one day we got up VERY early and went on a hike and came back to the room after lunch hoping to take a nap, but it didn't happen because the teenagers cleaning the rooms were all yelling and singing at the tops of their lungs! And it was just odd that they came to work everyday in their pajamas- seemed very unprofessional to me.

Overall, the place was fine. I don't mean to be entirely negative at all! The desk and giftshop staff were very friendly and we bought some t shirts there for good prices. The room rates were very good, even paying the extra $10 per night. This was the least expensive place we stayed on our whole trip and it was a very good value. It is walking distance to everything in town, too.

• Liked — The price
  • Disliked — no bathtub
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Lugano, Switzerland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2008

We reserved a room in the motel.
They charged 5 dollar more then the reservation.
The room is ok but really little.
A problem: only one plug available in all the room and not plugs in the bathroom.
The bathroom was ok, but I had not the feeling of a perfect cleanliness (some hairs and an open bar of soap in the shower).
If you need a "cheap" (75$ on July) location in west yellowstone this motel is for you.... but if you can avoid...

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — cleanliness
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2008

We didn't plan on staying a night in West Yellowstone, but it was getting dark. There are 3 Best Westerns in town so we called central reservations and all 3 were full. I'm so glad they were, because for 50% less money ($99) we ended up in a motel room at the Madison.

The motel has 2 parts, both are historic. The oldest is a log structure from the teens and the "newer" section is a classic, americana roadside motel. The room was quiet, but also had a good white noise producing air conditioner, which I find necessary to sleep.

The pizza and beer were good at the micro brew-pub at one of the Best Westerns on the main drag. I think it was called the Wolf's Den or something like that.

• Liked — Character
  • Disliked — Noise from garbage trucks in the early morning
San Diego, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2008

I stayed in the historic part of the hotel in the "hostel" part. I had a room with a double bed and sink, but a shared toilet and shower.

The shower area was clean and well kept. If you have stayed in a hostel before or a place with a shared shower it would be no problem.

The room was very small and "well worn" with a hint of a musty smell. The double bed sagged in the middle when we slept on it (that just happens to be a pet peeve of mine). There is no free breakfast. There is an A/C unit in the wall.

It has a great location right at the West Entrance of Yellowstone, next to a lot of little shops.

The #1 reason I went was because it was much cheaper than any other hotel I could find - about $50 compared to $80.

There is internet but you have to pay for it. (I didn't use it.)

Aside from the size of the room, and the slightly worn feel to the room, the "historic" part of the building is actually pretty cool looking. I would stay again, if only to sacrifice a little of the comfort of a chain hotel for savings.

• Liked — Price, location
  • Disliked — Tiny room, very "worn" in furnishings
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple