“Overpriced food in a creepy bar atmosphere”
Review of Happy Hour Bar

Happy Hour Bar
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner
London
“Overpriced food in a creepy bar atmosphere”
Reviewed September 13, 2011

My father and I were staying in the Hebgen Lake Mountain Inn condos across the street (which were lovely, by the way), and arrived too late to drive back into West Yellowstone for dinner, so we were afforded a ride across the road in a golf cart to try the Happy Hour Bar.

When we walked in, the first thing we noticed were the surplus of single men drinking, and the wash of photos of women's breasts and rear ends on the wall. Clearly, this is primarily a drinking establishment.

My father had the steak fingers with fries, and I had a salad, the quesadilla, and fries. Neither of us had alcoholic beverages, instead opting for water. The total bill came to more than $50!!

And while the server was friendly, we were subjected to hearing her skillfully deflect a rather steady stream of propositions from the two tables of single men who occupied the majority of the rest of the bar. She handled it well, but it wasn't great to listen to while trying to eat with your father! All the while, we were surrounding by walls of photographs of breasts, bottoms, and women's panties and bras stappled to the rafters.

All in all, the place felt sinister, the food was mediocre at best, and the prices were exhorbitant. Fine for a drinks with single mates, perhaps, but AVOID at all costs if you're not in that category. Couple that with insanely high prices for food, and I have to give the place a poor rating.

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank SamuelCP22

Oceanside, California
“Fun Bar - Great Food - Great Lake View”
Reviewed August 23, 2011

We went for dinner and drinks because we were staying at the motel across the road. The steak dinner was excellent and the drinks were great too. The service was great and very friendly!

• Visited August 2011
Elverson, Pennsylvania
“Unvarnished Truth”
Reviewed August 5, 2011

Food - burgers and sweet potato fries were the apparent sweet spot. Wings - oops. Atmosphere - funky, artifact filled old bar. Nice view from the deck over Hebgen Lake. Deranged looking drunk at bar who had to be sweet-talked out of the place gave the place a bit of an edge and fear factor and would have had me concerned had the family been there with me. Waitress was fun and amusing. Choose the polaroid wall carefully, one side is a 100+ serving of bare-chested ladies, the other the "full cheeks" profile of another large group of visitors and fans of the joint - again, depending on your view of what is family appropriate this may not be your spot. Run from anything that says "shrimp." High priced steaks and a scary looking salad bar drove us to stick with burgers and fries. Ultimate verdict: Pass. But I would guess it is a crapshoot as to what your experience would be, so if a risk-taker, go for it. You may enjoy it thoroughly. But food-wise, stick to the basics, advice which will serve you well in any of the West Yellowstone dining establishments. Try the bar-b-q stand in the parking lot near the entrance to Yellowstone.

• Visited July 2011
2 Thank NedZeppelin
“BEST STEAKS!!!!”
Reviewed June 26, 2011

From the Chicago area and Happy Hour has the BEST steaks I have ever eaten ANYWHERE!!!!

2 Thank Cory1987
Bozeman, Montana
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Can't wait to go back!”
Reviewed June 15, 2011

We actually got the recommendation to go to this place from a local in West Yellowstone when I asked him where the best burgers in town were. He didn't even hesitate to recommend the Happy Hour Bar, so we went.

The food was excellent, the drinks were cold, and the wall of boob polaroids left me needing a cold shower. Don't worry, the wife never caught me looking.

Cannot recommend enough.