“Visitors from overseas, check your bill” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Outpost Restaurant

Outpost Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Dining on a budget, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Atlanta, Georgia
“Visitors from overseas, check your bill”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2008

My friends from Austria treated me to a steak dinner. The meal was fine (except that the waitress delivered my medium-rare steak to one of my friends, who had ordered a medium one). After the meal, the check was presented. I asked to see it, just for curiousity. I was surprised that a "gratuity" of about 18 percent had been added to the bill. Of course, my two Austrian friends didn't know what a "gratuity" was. They had planned to leave a "tip" of 15-to 20 percent on the table. I told them not to, since a "tip" or "gratuity" already had been added to the check. I told them that in the U.S. a gratuity normally is not automatically added to the check unless a group of 5 or more is being served (we were a party of three). Later, I asked the cashier if the restaurant usually adds the gratuity to the check. She said some servers do, and some don't. I suspect that the gratuity is added to the checks of overseas visitors, particularly those from countries that have different tipping practices, such as Germany and Austria. But I also suspect the practice of automatically adding the gratuity to the check also could have the effect of harvesting additional tip income from unsuspecting diners without good command of the English language. This restaurant was among three recommended by the folks at our motel. Wished we had eaten elsewhere, as the episode left a bad taste.

Pennsylvania
“Definetely not worth the trip”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2008

The selection and one trip to the salad bar leave much to be desired. We were planning to eat elsewhere but we were in town and this was close so we figured we would give it a try, even the kids were disappointed with the meal. Next time I would definetely drive a little further for a better meal.

Fort Wayne, IN
“OK but not the best”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2008

My family of four ate here for dinner our final night in town. The food was good - BUT there were several things that would prevent us from returning. The (one trip!) salad bar was not impressive. The atmosphere was not as nice as other places - perhaps because our table was near the kitchen. We felt that there were too many "rules" - don't share the salad bar (duh!) , etc. Bottom line, for the money they charge here, there are better options in town.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,245 helpful votes
“Not Worth Your Time or Money”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2008

We ate here one night during our stay in West Yellowstone (June 4, 2008.) The waitress was very nice and personable, but the food is very pricey and definitely not worth what they are charging. It is edible, but lacks flavor and overall satisfaction. The best part of the meal was the cornbread. Otherwise, everything tasted like it was straight out of a can and for $15 to $20 an entree, definitely not worth it. You're better off going to the grocery store and getting some tv dinners. They taste better, are a lot cheaper, and you'll have money left over for dessert!

southern california
“The worst meal on the trip”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2007

Let me start with the only positive thing of the meal. The waitress was very personable. But that did not make up for the horrible service and sub-standard food. I suggest you try anyplace but this.