This is an odd review to write. The hotel room itself was actually nice, but the experience as a whole matched what I've come to expect from West Yellowstone.
Coming from Portland, you might be tempted to say that I have a problem with small towns. I assure you, I don't. We had some great experiences on this trip in some unexpected places. We stayed in some very local-feeling hotels. We even enjoyed Lander, of all places. There's just something off about West Yellowstone. I think it might be that it has nothing going for it except the park itself. Jackson has the parks and skiing. Other tourist destinations have tourism and generally some other industry. What else does West Yellowstone have? Anyway, I digress.
We tried to stay in a place up the street, but they didn't have any rooms with two beds available. They suggested we try here. We weren't sure they were even open, but I checked the reviews on Yelp while sitting in the parking lot and decided to give it a try. They were open, but just barely. The woman behind the desk gave us the "what are YOU doing here" reaction to our arrival. We were told that we could stay, but ONLY for one night! She clarified to explain that it was their last night before closing for the season (it seemed more like she didn't want us here for too long when she first said it). I read in at least one of the reviews that the service here was bad, and that was painfully true. She was awkward, borderline rude and we left the office feeling very unsure about staying here. We went to find our room and realized that our room number wasn't even close to the numbers we saw from the rooms at the front of the hotel. I had to go back in and ask where our room was. It was around back (this could have been mentioned).
As I said, the room itself was actually pretty nice (I should note that we stayed in the building in the back - it seemed like it was significantly newer than the main hotel building). It wasn't perfect, but we had worse along our trip. It gave me a strong sense of déjà vu for some reason . . . seriously, even now as I write this, I'm wondering if I've stayed here before. I can't think of when I possibly would have. The room seemed too new to have been where I stayed when I was a kid. Again, I digress. The room was eerie, spooky, creepy, whatever, but I think that was due to the nearly deserted town on one of the first snowy nights of the season.
Our final experience here was what solidified a ranking lower than what the room itself deserved. I just knew this would be the case, but the advertised breakfast wasn't served the next morning. Sure it's the end of the season, but when you walk into a hotel that advertises that it serves a breakfast with your hotel stay, it shouldn't matter when you're staying. And if you're going to snub your end-of-season guests, you should at least tell them that's your plan. Instead of breakfast offerings, there was a sign that shouted "Ask the front desk for breakfast suggestions." Telling us to go to the place down the street isn't quite the same as serving breakfast to your guests. A truly appropriate send-off to complete our time at this place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Moose Creek Inn is family owned and operated, located just 3 blocks from the west entrance to Yellowstone National Park, in the town of West Yellowstone, Montana. The west entrance is the most favorable entrance to visiting many of Yellowstone Park's most scenic features such as Old Faithful, the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone, Yellowstone Lake, and Norris Geyser Basin. Moose Creek Inn is within walking distance to shopping, restaurants, and more. Book one of our clean and cozy rooms for your Yellowstone vacation! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline and TripOnline SA so you can book your Moose Creek Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Moose Creek Inn Hotel West Yellowstone
- American West Yellowstone