“Couldn't have been happier with our experience here!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in West Yellowstone
Yellowstone Koa Mountainside
GreenLeadersSilver level
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Couldn't have been happier with our experience here!”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We just got home from our trip to Yellowstone and GTNP. We stayed in cabin #4 for 3 nights/4 days, and our son and daughter-in-law tent-camped in a space right across from us. What a wonderful time! The cabin was just the right size, spotless, comfortable bed and even the couch, patio furniture, etc., was good quality -- important since I was concerned about comfort traveling with back issues. The grandkids loved having their own little bedroom complete with bunks.

For background, I'm a five-star kinda girl. Quite spoiled. I was every bit as comfortable here as at a resort at home in Scottsdale, AZ. I think that's saying a lot. It's not luxurious or anything; just perfect as a cabin-camping experience. We did the "deluxe" cabin. The basic ones were cuter from the outside, but we wanted the kitchen, bath, linens etc.

We had campfires each night and cooked over it one night. I cooked breakfast for all one morning in the cabin kitchen, and the refrigerator was well-utilized. The whole experience was nothing short of idyllic. I worried about being there at peak season, in the "woods" area when we aren't used to bugs (Scottsdale, AZ is home; we don't do bugs). But it was quiet (with one exception), extremely clean and we never had bug problems in or out.

(There was a group of bikers -- cyclists actually -- that was very rude, up and shouting at 3:30 a.m. and it went on for a couple hours one night. Very disturbing for the tent campers; we never heard them in the cabin. This isn't the fault of the campground owners, but it is amazing how inconsiderate some people can be!)

The general store had nearly anything you could want and the prices were comparable to the groceries in town. We thought we would but never ate at the little pizza cafe in the main building. Just ran out of time. So much to do in West Yellowstone; who knew?

People seem to be negative about that area, but we found it slightly charming. It was the perfect combination of having restaurants, a (quite good live) theater and other attractions easily available, yet not staying in the thick of it. We loved being out in the quiet yet very close to West Yellowstone attractions and the west entrance to Yellowstone. Our tenters enjoyed the brand-new laundry and shower facilities. Even though they were slightly further away than the older facility, they were still close enough to be convenient.

There is a hot-water shortage issue, and it was hard to predict. Because they warned us the tank was small, only my husband and I showered in the cabin; we sent the others to the bath houses. Still, while we had plenty of hot water for both of us one night, the next morning we ran out of hot water when only my husband showered. I wish they could find a way to improve that.

Overall, I thought this was a great value both for tent camping and the cabin stay, even at peak-season pricing. Everyone at the front desk was helpful and friendly. Some concerns I saw in the most recent review (before mine) just didn't ring true. Even though we let our grandkids and their parents use our bathroom, we didn't even come close to running out of toilet paper. We used our iPhones as alarms (who uses hotel clock radios anymore?) We had plenty of towels. There are no dumpsters because of BEARS folks, but we could throw away excess trash at the wash houses (which were very close) and the trash cans in the cabin were typical and adequate.

I'd do it again in a minute -- would just try to get a "creekside" location. And I'd consider staying longer!

Room Tip: All the cabins are in the wooded area. They look crammed together but they don't "live"...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank RJP7277
Harold H, Manager at Yellowstone Koa Mountainside, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a detailed review. I am so glad to hear that our cabins where up to your "5 star" standards.
I would like to take the time to address the items that where not "5 star" in detail. Hot water; the hot water heaters are what came with these prepackaged units. They are not up to my standards nor are they up to the owners. Its is our intention to replace these with on demand type heaters next year. Noise; it is always our goal the each and every guest has an truly enjoyable time while not ruining the enjoyment of other guest. I did receive complaints about the group you mentioned, unfortunately it wasn't until the next morning after they had left. Upon check-in we tell everyone that the hotel desk is staffed 24 hours a day in-case of emergency or problems after we close. If you stay with us in the future I encourage you to report problems like this so I can deal with well they are happening. If they upset your family I am sure they upset others as well that I didn't hear about. Next year we intend to put a damper on this kind of activity by employing a night watchman.
These are some of our growing pains as we expanding and improve our campground. Thank you again for your honest comments and truly hope we get the chance to host your family outings in the future.

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Provo, Utah
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

This review is about the cabins at the lions head campground only. Problems: extra beds were not made and I had to make them which entailed climbing on the bunk bed. There are no lamps and no side tables and no clock radio. Tiny garbage cans in the room and no dumpster in the vicinity. Not enough towels and not enough TP. The worst of all- NOT ENOUGH HOT WATER! We ran out every night and had to go to the community camp shower. Good things: fridge, gas cook top, dishes, new cabin feel with a nice porch and a firepit.
I understand camping and not getting maid service after all this is very near Yellowstone, however for the $200 something we paid per night I expect the beds to be ready to sleep in when I check in, enough TP in the bathroom, a clock next to the bed, at least a couple of lamps, and I should never run out if hot water. Oh yea and a garbage can big enough to throw things away in, since no one comes to clean the room. if you are going to Yellowstone I would STAY IN THE PARK, you can get a similar room much closer to the action and you will not run out of hot water and you'll save money.

• Stayed July 2013
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

I went into this trip expecting to be disappointed when I heard we would be staying at an Rv park. But I was wrong! It wasn't the concrete paved parking lot that I expected. It was right in the beautiful woods. The staff was excellent in helping us get the right spot for our tent. We were lulled to sleep by the babbling brook mere feet from our spot. They also have a fantastic pizza place right on the premises. And it was very good pizza at that! Well done on a wonderfully ran business. I'll be back again!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank ExploreTheState... D
Thanks for taking the time to leave us such a great review. We are very glad that you enjoyed your time with us and hope to see you next time you are in Yellowstone!
Chicago's North Shore, Illinois
Reviewed June 25, 2013

While searching the 'net trying to find a reasonably priced place to stay near West Yellowstone, i came across Lionshead RV Campground (and Super 8).... For a little more than what a chain motel charged in town, we got a 'cabin', complete with 2 bedrooms, kitchenette, dining area, decent sized flat screened TV, AC, ceiling fans, fire ring, plus onsite laundry, playground and restaurant/store. We paid about $160/nite for 3 nites. I put 'cabin' in quotes because it's actually a mobile home, or some might call it an RV, built to look like a rustic cabin..... But don't let that deter you----it was in very good condition and very clean. Real pine interior wall planks, just like you'd see in a rustic cabin or lodge and lots of windows to keep it light.... The cabins (about 10 in the park) are tucked in the back of the property, next to the forest and a small creek.... And while they were all clustered close together, were heard very little noise from our neighbors, nor did we hear any from the road.....

Our queen bed was comfortable. Our kids slept on the bunk bed in the other room...... Though the kitchen wasn't elaborate, it had all the basics.... The bathroom was decent, plus they provided the regular stuff like soap and shampoo (i've stayed in cabins where this wasn't so), which is a nice touch.... The dining/living area was decent too....

From the highway, the property as a whole looks like your basic RV park.... BUT, it is obvious the owners put a ton of $$$$ into this property---all cabins are new or newer, the store/restaurant is new (or newly remodeled), laundry building is brand new AND is actually nice inside with ceramic tile floor and high quality machines, some of the camp showers are also located in the laundry building and they looked CLEAN, and the adjoining Super 8 is newly remodeled.....

A few very minor complaints:

I wish the cabin was a bit bigger, even if was just a coupla feet on each side. Bedrooms were a bit cramped, thus there was not much room to store luggage, especially for people like us traveling with kids... The bunk room had only 2 hooks on the wall for clothes. There was not much room to move the dining table away from the wall, not that we needed it, but some larger groups might.... The kitchen could have used a coupla more wall cabinets for food storage....
While the cabin was very clean and new, and the real wood interior walls were great, those walls needed something hanging on them to cozy it up a bit... And finally, on the one hand, it was nice the property was 7 miles west of town and away from the fray, but on the other hand, it got a little old driving the extra miles each day.....

In conclusion, i would definitely consider Lionshead RV Park when planning a trip to the Yellowstone area.

Room Tip: Some cabins face the forest. Some face the RV section of the park, BUT, these cabins have nice view...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank StrangeTripper
Harold H, Manager at Yellowstone Koa Mountainside, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. I really appreciate the items that you mentioned and where you would like to see improvement. As you mentioned, the owners have spent a great deal of time and money remodeling this facility. Unfortunately we have a short window of time that we can do these improvements. We do have plans for more cabins, some bigger, some smaller, some on the water, some nestled in the trees. When it comes time to purchase these new cabins I will keep your statements about size, food storage and clothes storage in mind so as to better serve our customers needs. As for the pictures, we never even thought of that little touch but thanks to you we will be shopping for appropriate items over the winter to help customize each cabin and give them themes. We will also add extra hooks in the bedrooms. Thank you for your suggestions and we hope you will stay with us in the future.