“Why we keep coming Back!”
Review of Blue Ribbon Flies

Blue Ribbon Flies
Buffalo, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Why we keep coming Back!”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

From 2008 til present there is no better fly shop and guides anywhere in the USA Going back this summer and I look forward to the out stand professionalism and knowledge the guides have. Not only that, as a female fly fisher, they love guiding with women! We listen! My personal fav iOS "Tommy." Tom Cornell will give you the best guiding experience ever! sorry for the review where their guides showed late… very uncharacteristic of this fine establishment!

Visited July 2013
2 Thank deedeeb45

Charlotte, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Blue Ribbon Flys Fishing Guides How would you feel if...”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

I have never written a poor review on anyone but.....how would you feel if.........2 fishing guides show up 30 min late and do not have enough rods for the clients. (4 clients and the guides only brought 2 rods). They send the clients to rent two rods. (why the guides did not offer to go pick up the rods...I do not know!) Clients pay $50 to rent rods and guides never offer to reimburse the cost to rent the rods. They said we should have brought our own rods.....if you hire Blue Ribbon Flies, clarify who is bringing the rods. First thing in the morning, the guide tells client that it is a bad time of year to fish the creek where the guide took the client to fish. (He was right but....Just lie to me and tell me that it the creek is one of the best places in Montana to catch trout! It is the guides job to make the client feel good...correct?) Guide keeps client on 50 yard stretch of creek for entire day and gets hostile when client moves. Those fish were terrified by the time I had fished over them all day! Client shows guide that trout are tailing and eating off bottom but guide wants to only fish dry flies. Fish are not biting and guide only tries 4 flies for entire day. Guide tells client to try a hopper fly and says that after a few casts, the fish will no longer eat the hopper so make some really good casts. So, after many casts, guide has disappeared...comes back smelling like alcohol. Guide does not change the hopper to a new fly for about an hour. For about an hour, dry fly keeps sinking because guide tied on leader that was too short. Finally, after client figures out the reason that the dry fly is sinking so often, guide agrees to put on a longer leader and fly works much better...surprise!!! When dry fly needed powder so it would float better, guide would not offer his powder to dry the fly so client got his vest and used his own powder. Lunch served was ok but nothing special....ham sandwiches, chips, pasta salad and soft drinks...guides brought some PBR's for themselves (none for us)....seriously, so, the next day we brought our own beer. The good news is that Blue Ribbon Flies sent us a new guide for the next two days. At the end of the trip, we go to the Blue Ribbon Fly shop to settle our bill and the guy behind the counter says we have to pay for the flys we used....so, we had to pay for the flys that we lost and for the flys that the guides used and kept for themselves....is there an integrity issue here? At a minimum, I think they should have given us the flys that we paid to use. There was no mention on the front end that we were going to have an extra fee for the flys that we used. I gave a 2 star instead of a 1 star because the second guide was better. Yes..all of this really happened! I have hired several guides over the years and this experience was so bad that it was just plain comical! I think our guide must have tutored under Hank Patterson...the crazy fly fishing guide on You tube...so, how do I feel? All I can do is laugh :-)

Visited September 2013
4 Thank JohnS458
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Well-stocked, very helpful staff”
Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

My teenage son broke his flyrod during a two-week trip. Blue Ribbon was listed as a dealer for that brand and was on the way. Not only did they ship it back for warranty replacement, they loaned him a similar outfit to use for the next few days until we came back through town. In addition to being helpful, they have a well-stocked fly shop, especially flies and books.

Visited July 2013