“Horrible hotel should be Condemned”

White Buffalo Hotel
Ranked #36 of 39 Hotels in West Yellowstone
Reviewed October 11, 2013

You do not want to stay at this hotel you pay a fortune the room had hair in the bed, mold in the bathroom, wifi did not work it got over loaded so they say and the list goes on to much to mention.
Worst hotel ever. you are better sleeping in your car

Room Tip: Not this hotel
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank greg p
RLB1954, Owner at White Buffalo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

We are replacing all of the bathroom floors in the entire hotel with new tile. This guest happened to stay in a room that did have the old lino floors from the previous owners. It had been wet in the past and had deteriorated and was darkly water stained. We set our un-remodeled rooms aside and only make them available after all other rooms are taken. In this case, the town was packed, as was our hotel and we made available what we had. Was it perfect? Obviously not. It was however between $50 and $100 per night less per night than our competitors rooms. I was told that the guest did speak to our manager, but only after he had completed his stayed. We strongly recommend that if there is a problem with a room that our staff be notified immediately so we may address it. We even go so far as to have our front desk clerk call all rooms after check in to see if there is anything we need to address. Unfortunately, if a guest checks in and then immediately goes out to dinner or to see the town (which happens a lot of course) we are unable to get their input. I'm sorry for this guests unpleasant experience. I would note however that we received no other complaints from the other 90 rooms in the property that night.

Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

It was the worst motel that I have ever experienced. Besides its convenient location to the Park, I could not recall anything good about this place. The maintenance guy even challenged me that "Do you know what time is it? Why don't you change room? Why don't you...?" After three hours of waiting on "reboiling" hot-water and phone calls, I could not believe what I heard from the "helper". Well, here is just my warning. I am pretty sure that you would read over some similar reviews online. At last, wish you have a wonderful time at Yellow Stone & don't let this motel to ruin your trip there. Thanks.

• Stayed: September 2013
5  Thank hfdcai2000
RLB1954, Owner at White Buffalo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

On the night in question there was a power outage in town. We have a safety switch that shuts off gas to the boiler to prevent excess pressure build up and possible explosion. Our maintenance crew checks this situation every morning when they get in to reset the boiler. In this case we did not catch it in time to satisfy this guest. For that I apologize. On the other issues: the reported mold in the shower we will definitely check out and correct as needed. The wake up calls may have been a result of the phone systems being powered off and on by the outage. We will check this with our phone system service provider since we did not receive any other complaints about this issue. As with every issue, we request that any concerns or disappointments be discussed with our onsite management team so we can work for individual guest satisfaction.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

It is a great place to stay. People are nice and the place is historical and peaceful. The location is wonderful, two blocks away from a busy street where a lot of places to shop and eat. The shortcome is that WIFI only works in the lobby.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
RLB1954, Owner at White Buffalo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give us your thoughts about the hotel. I was delighted to see that you were very happy with the stay, with the exception of the WiFi issue. This element is a real challenge for us. We have a number of repeaters throughout the property but still seem to have difficulties. Some people seem to get connected fine, others not at all. Of course our modem is provided through our phone/internet supplier and is the same as you would find in other locations. Because our property was build about quite a few years ago, it is not hardwired for internet and would be cost prohibitive to do so. So we struggle with the wifi and sincerely hope that as that technology improves, so will the reception in all of our rooms. I assure you we will always use the best and most effective wifi hardware we can find. Until it is perfect, we certainly appreciate your patience. We are adding more repeaters to see if that helps.

Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

I notice that the manager likes to comment on these reviews and sure is defensive! Our room is adequate at best. No wifi in our room. No phone that works in our room. No a/c. The water in the tub/shower is not hot and the sink in the bathroom has no pressure and the stopper doesn't work. The faucets in the kitchen rattle when turned on. We have the only room with a kitchen so I guess we are supposed to be grateful. The front desk clerk said that Booking.com told us that there was no a/c and no phone. If I had known that, I would not have booked. She did offer to move us to another room but didn't even know if there was a fridge in it. I wonder if there was a phone? Actually, we do have a phone but it doesn't work. And she said we were too far away to get wifi. We are not the farthest room. Either the place has wifi or it doesn't. I'm not going to go sit in the lobby to use the wifi. The manager likes to point out that they are a bargain compared to the other hotels. But maybe the other hotels actually have everything that they list online. Then I would be willing to pay more.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Mimima24
RLB1954, Owner at White Buffalo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Thank you for your review. From your description of the room location, I believe that you were staying in one of the 8 rooms that we identify this as our "economy" rooms. I think room number 171. Because of the kitchen availability, this happens to be the room I stay in when I need to stay onsite for any length of time. These rooms were once used as seasonal employee housing. They do not yet have the upgrades found in other rooms. Because of their unique status, we have priced these rooms well below the vast majority of rooms not only in our hotel, but anywhere around town. I suspect that you paid as much as $100 per night less than many of the rooms available. These rooms are in the process of being remodeled to meet the same level of quality of the balance of the hotel, but this work can only happen after the season is over. I am sorry that information provided you by a third party may have been incomplete or inaccurate. We will review your information and address the issues noted. Thank you again.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We happened onto this place because all the motel/hotels were pretty booked and we didn't have any reservations. They wanted a lot for one night, and my husband negotiated a three night "deal" that made it reasonable for us. Not at all a fancy place, but the room was big, we had our microwave and fridge, got free popcorn every night, and breakfast was included every day. They actually had a good breakfast too. My husband makes friends where ever we go, and this was no exception. We used this as "homebase" while we explored Yellowstone Park. So we were gone all day, and had a nice place to land each night. We would stay again if we were there, just because it was fine, not great or awesome, but fine. We had a good time there.

Room Tip: We just took what was available and that fit our needs. If you make reservations ahead, ask all the...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
RLB1954, Owner at White Buffalo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

We look forward to seeing you again. Thanks for the review. We are not the newest, biggest, fanciest or most ornate property in town. Our goal is to provide clean, comfortable lodgings with other specialty services like our lending library, kids play room, snack bar and guest-only nightly movies. Most of all we want to have friendly gracious staff members who make you feel right at home. I'm glad to see we succeeded. Thanks again.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

The rooms are VERY SPACIOUS, clean, and had basic amenities. It's older, so not very many outlets, and the AC didn't work properly. The Wi-Fi was so slow that it was completely non-functional during peak hours. Staff was friendly and helpful. If you need an elevator, there is not one. Be sure to request the first floor. There is free breakfast for TWO guests only. Additional guests were approximately $11 each, but it is a terrific breakfast buffet. The breakfast and friendly service made up for some of the other things that were less than stellar.

Room Tip: No elevator. Poor Wi-Fi, so plan to use your own data service or hot spot. 2nd floor rooms at the...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
RLB1954, Owner at White Buffalo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

I love it when someone is honest enough to tell the whole story. Thank you Guest for the review. I think it accurately expresses this guest's opinions marvelously. It also helps us improve the property. So this is a win-win review. I assure you we will check out the AC. Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do at peak WiFi usage times to improve the service. The town still has many analog lines and when you consider that thousands of hotel guests around town may be connecting at the same time, you see why sometimes the miracle of the internet only works at a snail's pace. West Yellowstone is unique in that the community has a crush of visitors during the season, which is quite short. This affects pricing and availability and we are proud that we have been able to keep our prices as much as 20% below many of our competitors. If you're reading this response you must be serious about a possible visit. Please give us a chance. I think you'll be pleased you did.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

The hotel was the worst one I have spent a night in the States. Our room was old and dirty, the TV defect, the Wi-Fi slow...
Since we stayed there just for one night I could have arranged with that place - but not at the price you pay for one night.

4  Thank PhilippTRI
RLB1954, Owner at White Buffalo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

I'm sorry the guest came all the way from Germany and didn't like their stay. However, I would ask any guest to check the prices in West Yellowstone and then decide whether our pricing structure, that is as much as 40% less than many of our competitors, is not more than competitive. In a community that literally does a year's worth of business in 4 or 5 months, we are jam packed the majority of the time. Anytime someone wants to use one nigh'ts bad sleep as a basis for a punitive review, I guess that is up to them. The other 85 (+/-) rooms that night didn't feel it necessary to leave such a review, as a matter of fact, the reviews left on google were all very positive. I guess everyone has the right to their opinion and anyone who pays to stay in a hotel has the right to pen any review they choose.