“People working were great”

White Buffalo Hotel
Ranked #36 of 39 Hotels in West Yellowstone
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We happened onto this place because all the motel/hotels were pretty booked and we didn't have any reservations. They wanted a lot for one night, and my husband negotiated a three night "deal" that made it reasonable for us. Not at all a fancy place, but the room was big, we had our microwave and fridge, got free popcorn every night, and breakfast was included every day. They actually had a good breakfast too. My husband makes friends where ever we go, and this was no exception. We used this as "homebase" while we explored Yellowstone Park. So we were gone all day, and had a nice place to land each night. We would stay again if we were there, just because it was fine, not great or awesome, but fine. We had a good time there.

Room Tip: We just took what was available and that fit our needs. If you make reservations ahead, ask all the...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
RLB1954, Owner at White Buffalo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

We look forward to seeing you again. Thanks for the review. We are not the newest, biggest, fanciest or most ornate property in town. Our goal is to provide clean, comfortable lodgings with other specialty services like our lending library, kids play room, snack bar and guest-only nightly movies. Most of all we want to have friendly gracious staff members who make you feel right at home. I'm glad to see we succeeded. Thanks again.

There are newer reviews for White Buffalo Hotel

Reviewed September 3, 2013

The rooms are VERY SPACIOUS, clean, and had basic amenities. It's older, so not very many outlets, and the AC didn't work properly. The Wi-Fi was so slow that it was completely non-functional during peak hours. Staff was friendly and helpful. If you need an elevator, there is not one. Be sure to request the first floor. There is free breakfast for TWO guests only. Additional guests were approximately $11 each, but it is a terrific breakfast buffet. The breakfast and friendly service made up for some of the other things that were less than stellar.

Room Tip: No elevator. Poor Wi-Fi, so plan to use your own data service or hot spot. 2nd floor rooms at the...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
RLB1954, Owner at White Buffalo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

I love it when someone is honest enough to tell the whole story. Thank you Guest for the review. I think it accurately expresses this guest's opinions marvelously. It also helps us improve the property. So this is a win-win review. I assure you we will check out the AC. Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do at peak WiFi usage times to improve the service. The town still has many analog lines and when you consider that thousands of hotel guests around town may be connecting at the same time, you see why sometimes the miracle of the internet only works at a snail's pace. West Yellowstone is unique in that the community has a crush of visitors during the season, which is quite short. This affects pricing and availability and we are proud that we have been able to keep our prices as much as 20% below many of our competitors. If you're reading this response you must be serious about a possible visit. Please give us a chance. I think you'll be pleased you did.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

The hotel was the worst one I have spent a night in the States. Our room was old and dirty, the TV defect, the Wi-Fi slow...
Since we stayed there just for one night I could have arranged with that place - but not at the price you pay for one night.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank PhilippTRI
RLB1954, Owner at White Buffalo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

I'm sorry the guest came all the way from Germany and didn't like their stay. However, I would ask any guest to check the prices in West Yellowstone and then decide whether our pricing structure, that is as much as 40% less than many of our competitors, is not more than competitive. In a community that literally does a year's worth of business in 4 or 5 months, we are jam packed the majority of the time. Anytime someone wants to use one nigh'ts bad sleep as a basis for a punitive review, I guess that is up to them. The other 85 (+/-) rooms that night didn't feel it necessary to leave such a review, as a matter of fact, the reviews left on google were all very positive. I guess everyone has the right to their opinion and anyone who pays to stay in a hotel has the right to pen any review they choose.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Nice outdoor heated swimming pool.
Good breakfast buffet: scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, pancakes, French toast, toasts and cereals.
Terrible internet connection.
They charged breakfast for a third person while we paid for a family room. I don’t understand this policy. It was the only hotel that charged extra for breakfast of all hotels we stayed during our road trip from NY to San Francisco.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank LorenaFortuna
Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is way to expensive for what you receive, the lobby looks great but the rooms are shabby. The free breakfast is a joke as it is for only 2 there were 6 in our group.
The pool was very warm but the hot tub was dirty.
We will try a different hotel next time as was not worth the $160 we paid

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank daisy278

The rooms are sold as "double occupancy". That means two people per room. The cost of the breakfast, which most people love, in included in that rate. Since we do not up-charge for additional people in the rooms, we felt that asking guests to cover additional breakfasts for the additional people in the room was fair. Particularly when the breakfast is an all you can eat hot buffet and not a simple continental breakfast of dry cereal, toast and coffee. I suspect that paying twice the amount at a local restaurant would have been even more unpleasant. The nightly rate was a bargain however, I'll have to see why it was about $75 to $100 less than our competitors. I better call the front desk.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

The picture on there site is the front of the hotel and lobby, the rest is a joke. It was dirty, the tv was snowy, not in just our room, both rooms we booked. The air conditioners run for a little while and then shut off and did not come back on, so our rooms got hot during the night. The bathroom,had a hole where the wall was falling apart by the toliet. We stood and waited 20 mins to check out, and we were the only ones at the desk. For a $178 a night, they should have paid me,

Room Tip: Don't stay here unless it is the last place in town and you can't go on to some where else.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Renee588

Perception is such an interesting aspect of life. When I was young, a recall being punished for something I had done. I'm not sure what I did but I am sure I deserved what I got. Anyhow, my perception was that I was somehow wronged and so I immediately went outside and "got even". I squirted my dog with cold water. I soaked him pretty good and then somehow I felt different. But in retrospect, not better. After reading this review I feel a little like my dog must have felt. So I suggest that rather than open yourself to any type of "anticipointment", I encourage prospective guests to read all the reviews, good and bad, and then if you decide to give us a try, ask to see and approve your room when you arrive. If it is not everything we promise, we will gladly refund your money. OK maybe not gladly, but we will do it none the less.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

The room was dirty. The locks on the doors had been broken and we did not feel safe. It was incredibly noisy when people walked in the room above. The only positive thing was the location. We would NOT recommend this place to anyone! This place is sooooo overpriced!

Room Tip: If you must stay here, do not stay in the separate annex.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank wvakoc
RLB1954, Owner at White Buffalo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

While we accept and appreciate all guest reviews, this one seem a bit over the top. "Worst Hotel Ever?" To borrow a phrase from Napoleon Dynomite: "Like how could you even know that?" I hope prospective guests read the other reviews before accepting any one as entirely accurate. I think a cross section is a better gauge. If guests have an issue at the hotel, we strongly encourage them to talk with management to resolve them.