“YUC”

Under Canvas Yellowstone
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 21, 2014

We stayed here for 6 nights! We had 3 safari tents with wood stoves and 2 cots in each tent. There were 9 of us total ranging from 7 years old to 75 years old. There was plenty of room for us and our gear for our month of travels! We were warm enough in the beds when the temperature dropped down to 28 and 30 degrees. I did keep the fire in the wood stove stoked the entire night. The kids in the cots were not cold, but not as warm as we were in the bed.

The main reason we did not give it a 5 is because each morning there was a wait to use the bathrooms. We recommend that Yellowstone Under Canvas build a set of bathrooms only, without showers in the room with the toilet. In the am, many folks were showering, but many just had to pee and brush their teeth. We think a set of just toilets would alleviate much of this wait.

Yes, this is like camping. Do not go into this thinking you are staying in a hotel. It is not a hotel. If you are a camping lover, the only thing you will miss is the s'mores. Due to bears you can not have any food. You should also put your toothpaste in the car. (We carried collapsable coolers, camping plates, bowls & spoons. We kept milk, cereal, bread, turkey, lettuce & tomato in the car and ate every breakfast out of the back of the car. We made our lunches and packed them into the park. It worked out well and saved us tons of time and money).

As is typical in campgrounds you can here the other guests and all the animals around all night long. We enjoyed this. Except on the 4th of July there were some loud guests, late at night. We spoke to them and the staff did, too. But, all of our children were able to sleep through the night because of all the fresh air and hiking!

One of our favorite memories of Yellowstone and staying at YUC was playing in the shallow creek. We had a cold water challenge. The water felt great. The current was fun to ride. One night on our way to swim in the creek we saw a Mother MOOSE and her BABY. They were on the far side of the river getting a drink of water. It was so cute. The mother was on alert her ears twitching all around as we splashed and played in the creek. They didn't stay long.

The Bar N Ranch restaurant is convenient and they staff works hard to provide a fine dining experience. This was helpful for dinner as we typically came out of the park late after hiking and viewing the park.

Diamond P Ranch is close to YUC as is the Rodeo. We enjoyed both of these.

1  Thank Jane4014
David D, Public Relations Manager at Under Canvas Yellowstone, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2014

6 Nights...!!?? you practically moved in... Wow thank you for staying with us so long and becoming such a great part of who we are. We are so happy to have had the opportunity to get to know you and have you with us day to day. It is an amazing time and thank you for choosing to share all that time with us.

Welcome to our Under Canvas Family... Come see us again soon!

There are newer reviews for Under Canvas Yellowstone

Reviewed July 20, 2014

It was July 10th & my son's 6th birthday. We decided to drive from Cody, Wyoming to Yellowstone Under Canvas for our last night of a 5 day trip through Yellowstone National Park & Cody, Wyoming. We LOVED the staff & the Safari Tent with our own private shower/toilet.
We booked our 1 night stay via the Yellowstone Under Canvas headquarters in early April. I knew it was my son's birthday & wanted a special experience for him & his 2 older sisters. I specifically requested a Deluxe Safari Style Tent with private shower/toilet & the adjacent tipi for the kids as I knew they would LOVE this. Well, they messed up & did NOT have the tipi available. They also promised "something special" for my son's birthday & never delivered on the "something special". It was OK as the staff provided COTS for the children in our tent. The King size bed was awesome & I slept really well out in the wildlife with my husband & 3 kids. The reception tent providers cold water, tea, coffee & hot cocoa. They have a charging station in the reception tent if you need to charge your mobile devices. They have a rocking swing out by the river which we enjoyed and an evening bonfire out by the river as well. Food is NOT allowed since it is "glamping" in Bear country. It is clean, safe & so much fun! It was the best bed out of the 3 hotels we used during our 4 night/5 day trip. I definitely preferred our clean, little shower & toilet compared to the other hotel near by whose shower was gross. I will return & stay at least 2 nights next time but make sure to re-confirm your reservation & specifically what type of accommodations you want ahead of time as they have options for everyone from a super fancy tent with claw foot tub to a single tipi with a common bathroom that is shared by other Yellowstone Under Canvas Guests. The extra $$$ spent on private bathroom is well worth it to me!!!! :)
Walking distance from the Y.U.C is The Bar N Restaurant where you will have the only good dinner around & worth a little more money. We ate dinner & breakfast there 2 times.
Mary Perkins & Family

1  Thank Mary P

Amazing!! Thank you for taking the time to write such an incredible review. I think you covered it all... I do however want to apologize for the mis fire of the Birthday gift.. That is not something we make a habit of and certainly i am sorry we failed here. Thank you for being so gracious and seeing the site and reviewing the site and your experience even with this oversight. we would love to see you again.

Welcome to our Under Canvas Family

Reviewed July 18, 2014

Overall a neat experience. We didn't do any activities, just spent the night. The check-in staff was friendly. Although they have some nice setups with real beds (an actual bedroom in a tent), we went with the less expensive option and slept on cots since we were staying just one night. The temperature that night was in the 50's, but we were very warm in the heavy-duty sleeping bags they provide. You might be kept awake for awhile due to other campers making noise. You might be awakened early since the tents fill with light as soon as the sun is up (and the sound of the nearby cows might wake you). Apparently some of the nicer tents have wood-burning fireplaces, because we saw the exhaust and smelled smoke much of the time. They have clean and civilized restroom/shower facilities (there are just a few so you could wait in line in the morning). Your car will be very dusty from the gravel road that leads to the campground. We had breakfast in their restaurant -- it was very clean and nicely decorated -- food was fine but a bit overpriced.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Denise Y

I love it... We are so glad you had a great time. Thank you for all the incredible comments. We work very hard to bring an exceptional experience to to each and every guest. When we hear this It makes us excited to do what we do. Thank you again for choosing us and Welcome to our Under Canvas Family

Reviewed July 16, 2014

The landscape was gorgeous, the beds were incredibly comfy and warm, fun shallow river for the kids (6yr/9yr) to play in and very friendly and helpful staff. Wish the fire pit area was larger so more people could enjoy it and gather around. My husband wanted a t-shirt from there but they don't sell them...bummer. It was our best nights rest of the 12 day vacation. We already recommend it to friends and they have booked their stay in Aug.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
David D, Public Relations Manager at Under Canvas Yellowstone, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2014

What an Experience!! Thank you so much for coming to stay with us as part of that 12 day adventure... And to be the best portion of that... Wow.. that says so much. I cant wait to share this with the whole team! We take great pride in who we are and where we are.. its an Amazing area! We cant wait to host your friends that you recommended.

Thank you for the comment on the fire pit. We are looking at this for the future. With such a large camp as YUC we would like to make this area larger nd more enjoyable as well.

Welcome to our Under Canvas Family!!!

Reviewed July 14, 2014

At check-in the staff was very friendly and helpfull! The safari (4 pers.) was beautiful with 4 nice beds with lots of blankets. We checked the toilets/showers and they where very clean.

In the information map we read that they offer bearspray to take with you on a hike, in the tent there where two canisters, one in a plastic bag that must stay in the tent and one to go. However the one in the bag had a holster and the one to go hadn't. When I inquired with the staff if they could be swapped because it is easier to have the spray on your belt than in your back-pack the staff didn't understand they question at all and didnt see any problem. I tried to explain it multiple time however they just didn't understand. (At Glacier Uncer Canvas you will get a holsterd canister to go).

Later in the evening and in the morning the toilets/showers where very, very dirty and all trashcans where full (they where very small). Also there where only 5 cabins for the whole campground which resulted in long waiting lines. Add to that, that the very first morning one of the 5 cabins was closed because it was broken. So now only 4 cabins remaind.

From a Glamping (Glamorous Camping) and the high prices I had expected more bathrooms. So that was definitely a big drawback.
However nothing, not even the best hotel, can beat the experience of sleeping in a tent in the open nature, far away from any roads. It was very, very quiet (apart from some guests).

I would definitely go back again, however I would upgrade to a deluxe safari with a fire place and private bathroom. The nights are realy cold and a 4 person safari has no fire place, however there are more than enough blankets so the bed is warm, the problem is getting out of bed. Also for that amount of money I don't expect to wait 30 minutes for a bathroom. That's just bad service for the amount of money you pay.

Room Tip: If you are with 3 or more go for a safari+tipi, you'll have a fire place there. I would not re...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Martijn86
David D, Public Relations Manager at Under Canvas Yellowstone, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2014

What a great review with some helpful information. Thank you for saying such wonderful things about who we are and what we do. I will pass this along for all the staff to read. The YUC Team is dedicated to our guests experience and love to hear when they are mentioned.

The Bathrooms... There are actually 10 total not counting the In Suite and TiPi Facilities. We have an identical Cabin Bathroom Facility like the one you mention just a short distance from the first one at the north end of the camp. I apologize you were not made aware of these.

Our Camp is capacity every night ( which is a great thing ) as we are usually sold out every day... This being said means there are many people families and children on site that use the common facilities. We clean them around 8am and again around noon and then again right before check in at 3pm. Then our Night Audit also makes a pass through in the middle of the night. With the amount of traffic it is difficult to keep perfect... But I assure you I will push harder to do better

The trash cans I fully agree... I am currently working to get larger cans, as again we are consistently to capacity and it proves difficult with the containers sizes.

We are ecstatic that you would like to return.We look forward to that very thing. You might also consider our other sites in Moab Ut. and Glacier Mt. Thank you again for choosing us as part your 2014 Experience and adventure.

Welcome to our Under Canvas Family!!

Reviewed July 14, 2014

Yellowstone Under Canvas is a great place to stay on a budget when visiting Yellowstone and the surrounding area. It's just outside of West Yellowstone, which has plenty of shops, restaurants, and things to do. Under Canvas is a great place to camp and unplug from regular life, without having to bring any of your own camping gear!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

You hit it right on the head... "unplugged" That is what we are all about. Enjoying the natural beuty of our area with friends and family like you! Thank you for letting us and the world know how we did and how much you enjoyed your adventure!

Welcome to our Under Canvas Family!

Reviewed July 11, 2014

My husband and I stayed here 5 nights for our honeymoon and had been excited for months to visit Yellowstone Under Canvas. I was getting worried about staying here after reading reviews on TripAdvisor a few days before we left but figured it was just a bunch a city slickers that didn't know how to rough it. Well, the rooms were not a problem at all. It is the staff that is the issue.

I was under the impression that this was a professionally staffed hotel where the stress of planning our trip would be taken out of our hands. I was wrong. The staff here is shipped in from all over the world as seasonal workers with what I can imagine no prior hotelier experience. We asked to have horseback riding, kayaking, fly fishing and ATV riding activities along with lunches provided for each day. These were not planned for us until the afternoon we arrived at the campsite which made everything feel really rushed and up in the air but we are on our honeymoon so we tried to go with the flow.

I was also disappointed in the location of our tent. We told the staff when we booked the tent that this was our honeymoon but our tent ended up being the most public suite tent. We would sit out on the porch in the mornings and everyone could see us from the lake and other tents. It didn't feel like the secluded romantic spot I was hoping for.

We were told our horseback riding was planned for Sunday evening so we ended up spending the day in Yellowstone, taking a nap and then heading to horseback. Well, the horseback riding was never scheduled. We had planned our entire day to be back in time for it and then we were stuck with finding something to do that night. We were kindly given a discount on our room because of their mistake but still it was a frustrating situation.

Monday ended up being another frustrating day. We went to pick up our lunches around 11 and were told they had forgotten to order them. Really I think they gave them to someone, but what ever. This put us in a bind because we had our ATV riding at noon so we had to rush somewhere to eat lunch in 30 minutes. Then later that afternoon we were told our kayaking activity for the next day was canceled because our instructor was hurt and since we didn't come to the reception desk until later in the evening that it was too late to schedule an activity for the next day. I was told the reception desk tried to call our cell phone but with spotty cell service and the inability the charge our phones at night they were not able to get in contact with us. A voice mail was never left, so I have a sneaky suspicion that the kayaking trip was never really planned.

Tuesday; our lunches ended up not arriving until past 9:30 am. Since kayaking was canceled for the day, we planned on staying in the park the entire day and bringing the box lunches. Well, we ended up having to go eat a late breakfast since they kept telling us the lunches would be there "soon", come back to camp to pick up the lunches and then finally go about our day. Since this camp is located about 10 minutes outside of West Yellowstone, it is a hassle to go back and forth (especially with the very long gravel road going from the highway to the camp).

Wednesday ended up being our best day out until I was very rudely awoken by a wailing child in the parking lot at 2 am that went on for an hour. Let me tell you, we were pretty happy to leave the next morning to stay in Jackson.

Things I wished I had known before:
-They provide shampoo but no conditioner. This is a big deal for those of us with dry hair.
-No electricity in the tents so bring your car charger and have fun letting your hair air dry.
-They charge you a credit card processing fee every time they run your card. This was not disclosed to us until we saw it on our receipt.
-Not all the activities are close by. The whitewater rafting activity is 2 hours away.
-Make sure to look over your receipt before you leave. Like I said before, this is not a professionally run hotel so mistakes are going to be made.
-Don't drink the water from the faucets. Apparently there are signs that say this, but my husband and I never saw such a sign.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Genevieve T
David D, Public Relations Manager at Under Canvas Yellowstone, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2014

Thank you for taking time to post a review in regards to your stay. I certainly wish that your Honeymoon went more according to plan. This was a very special time and I wish to congratulate you on your Marriage and wish you long life and happiness together...

Let me start by saying many of these challenges were obviously not in our control and unfortunately you had to endure during your stay. I too wish that in an event such as a special occasion or a honeymoon all was perfect and there are not issues like crying children at 2am.

You mentioned that the reviews must have been written by " City Slickers"... most of our guests are from a foreign country that have never experienced anything like what we offer. And like those comments you misunderstood several components of our site... First we are not a hotel and do not advertise that we are. We are a Luxury Camp Site.. which simply means we offer a budget model for all types of guests based on the experience you wish to have.. but the one thing all the site has in common is that we are environmentally friendly and conscience and are as close to "unplugged camping " as we can get but still maintain accommodations on an upscale level.

In your instance we offer in a Suite... a king size bed, leather couch, tables and chairs ( in and out ) in Suite Full Bathrooms, robes, and even a beautiful claw foot bathing tub. We offer shampoo, shower gel and lotion only... all are bio degradable and environmentally safe.

Your deck you mentioned in that suite was placed that way so you have the entire sweeping view of the Gallitin Mountain range in front of you with a great spectacular view of both the sunrise and the sunset ( which non of our other tents do when sitting on the deck )... we situated that suite to see both which is why we assigned that one to you. It is also adjoined by the lower Madison River that runs right up next to it. All of YUC Suites are in a different area than all other tents for this reason.

White water rafting may seem two hours away if you have not been in our gorgeous area.. but it is only 45-50 minutes away... You can GPS from Yellowstone Under Canvas to Montana White Water and I promise it is not two hours... by the way, its one of Montana's and the countries ranked most scenic drives.

And yes we do have internationals working on our site.. our Housekeepers and Maint. even a host or two are all international students with aspiring dreams of coming to the USA and working a summer and we are happy to oblige them and welcome them as part of our team. Like most "hotels" we have foreign Team Memebers. But everyone on the YUC Front Desk speaks English and is well versed in operations.

I apologize for any situations with your activities... again a guide getting hurt is out of our control and unfortunate and we are glad our local guide was okay and it wast more serious as all they do is dangerous.

Thank you again for letting us know the challenges you faced as we work very hard to ensure every guest, every time... It is our goal to offer a life experience to each and every single guest and for them to leave feeling like family. We will certainly fail at some things and fall on our face with others.. but understand Our very best is devoted to all who come to Yellowstone Under Canvas.