“Research First!!!”

Under Canvas Yellowstone
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Let me begin by saying that I enjoy camping- I don't rough it - the campsites I stay at have power and hot showers. So, when I read about glamping- my first thought was I'M IN. After looking at Paws Up Resort and Yellowstone Under Canvas, I decided to stay at the latter because it was closer to my planned vacation route. The pictures looked great, the reviews were good. For $400.00/night, I chose the suite so I could have a private bath. Upon arriving, we were informed that this was bear country, so NO food or drinks would be allowed in the tent - huh- that tidbit of information wasn't on the website. We were then driven by golf cart part-way to our tent. We were then informed we would have to carry our luggage the rest of the way because the cart couldn't go any further. Okay ...... no problem, except the luggage had wheels and got bogged down in the mud. The furnishings in the tent were just as advertised , except there was no electricity - ( the professional photos look like the tents were lit up so I assumed there was electricity.) We were told if we needed our phones or whatever charged, we could drop them at the "office" and they would be charged for $5.00 extra. The wood stove had water in it, so the fire was a little difficult to start. Okay- little glitches- still good - after all, we had a private bathroom with "running hot water" according to the website. My friend turned on the hot water to the tub and nothing came out - so she opened the valve to the hot water pipe and surprise - still no hot water. Okay - forget the tub - lets just get a shower. The shower came with a pull handle that you had to hold down to get the water to come out - so I guess 1 hand is for bathing and the other hand is to hold the pull chain - by this time I'm thinking "glamping" is the wrong word and I am stupid for paying this much money for this. After pulling the chain three times to get the water flowing warm - surprise - all the hot water was gone. This is not working out so good. We gave up any hope for getting clean and decided to call it a night. Next morning, we were up at 6:30 am. When I opened the tent up the first thing I saw was an electrified fence - how come the fence can have electricity and my tent can't. The last thing anyone saw of us was our dust trail. The tents are nice but be prepared to pay a hefty price for no electricity, no food or drinks allowed and possibly no hot water. From now on - I'll stick to regular camping for $27.00/night.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Beth T
David D, Public Relations Manager at Under Canvas Yellowstone, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2014

We thank you for your post to Trip Advisor. Without these explanations and insight to guests stays we could not grow and become better at what we do. We are not perfect but our goal is to ensure an experience and a memory of your trip to one of the Most Beautiful areas on Earth.

I personally have amended the issue with the water to the suite tents. This was related to a simple propane heating challenge. In regards to the No food, this is simply for the protection of all of our guests and team members. Much like the park, the food can attract wildlife into the area that we would not wish to have on site. The same goes for the electric fence. It is in place for the protection of our guests. That fence is also powered by solar energy.

Thank you again for allowing us the chance to get better. Without these posts that would not be possible.

Reviewed June 12, 2014

I booked one night at this supposedly glamour camping ("glamping") accommodation after seeing it reviewed favorably in a travel mag. Booked a teepee for $99, one person one night. What a disappointment. The tents are crowded together only a few feet apart. My teepee was on a slope, which meant the cot was slanted. But that was nothing compared to the extremely noisy generator -- I'm talking jackhammer loud, and I wasn't even terribly close to it. Many tents were much closer to it than mine was. Checked in at 9pm and specifically asked at what time the generator got turned off. I was told 11pm. Not ideal, but bearable. 11pm came and went, so did midnight, 1am and the jackhammer continued -- until 2:30am!! Completely ruined the entire experience of being camped in the "wilderness". The next morning, I stopped in to the reception tent and complained. I said I'd been told the gen got turned off at 11pm. The man's reply was, "I don't know who told you that. I am instructed to turn it off at 2:30am." I'd of had a better "wilderness" experience if I had parked up a forest service road and slept curled up in my (compact) rental car. The tents closest to the generator also bordered the parking area, so had cars parking a few feet away from their walls. I felt bad for them as I started my car at 0515am to depart. Will NEVER stay at this place again, or recommend it to anybody. No glamour here!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank MBayLocal123
Danielle H, General Manager at Under Canvas Yellowstone, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2014

Thank you for your response and I apologize for any inconveniences you experienced during your stay. It is our mission that we provide exceptional service and when there is an issue it is always great to be made aware of it so that we may amend.

Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

What a cool concept! Tents already set up with beds or cots inside. Comfy bed and warm blankets. Whatever you take in tent will smell like fire/smoke. No food in tents - not one crumb!!! Gotta keep the bears away. Wear warm clothes the sleep in bring a flashlight. And be considerate by whispering in your tent - only issue was other people making noise. Too bad they have to keep a generator going all night for the bathrooms. Otherwise perfect! Pricy!!!

Stayed: June 2014
Danielle H, General Manager at Under Canvas Yellowstone, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2014

Thank you for your response on your stay here at Yellowstone Under Canvas. It was very informative and nicely put. You are absolutely correct, it is always a great idea to bring different types of clothing with you to camp as the weather changes quite frequently. We do have the wood burning stoves in the majority of our tents to better accommodate our guests.

Thank you again for your helpful response and we look forward to seeing you again sometime soon!

Reviewed June 11, 2014 via mobile

I had a wonderful time in my teepee at yellowstone under canvas. The staff were very friendly and very helpful. The little fire at night was a great way to bring everyone together to share stories about their time in yellowstone! Highly recommended!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to respond and tell us about your recent stay. It is always great to hear that the staff was very helping during your time here with us. As you know the most important part of our business is the people and it is refreshing to hear that they are serving the guests and taking care of all their needs. The camp fire is a great way to end a long and eventful day in West Yellowstone. It is always neat to sit around a camp fire and listen to the stories that all of the guests have to share.

We hope to see you again!

Reviewed June 9, 2014

An outdoor experience like no other. The photos do not do it justice. We stayed in the deluxe suite (no sharing a bathroom and away from the snorers with only 3 other tents in that area and lots of space between us). I enjoyed a soothing hot bath in the claw foot tub, the bed was 5 star comfortable and quilted bedding warm and oh so comfortable! Our host was friendly and accommodating to our every need. We got to see a beaver up close and fell asleep to the sound of rain upon our tent. Our 17 & 19 yr olds slept very comfortably on the sleeper sofa with Broyhill mattress. What a way to enjoy the outdoors and stars at night! First class all the way … would recommend to anyone who has never experienced glamping or whose idea of camping is a hotel. By the way … the tent space is surprisingly huge!

Room Tip: If you are looking for a comfortable and unique experience splurge on the deluxe suite otherwise be...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank PetersonFamily2014

Wow!! Thank you so much for your informative review!! I am very ecstatic to hear that your stay here at Yellowstone Under Canvas was exceptional!! Falling asleep to the sound of the rain hitting your tent is quite peaceful. It is simply amazing when you get to see the Beavers up close, not everyone gets the chance to do so. Thank you again for your incredible review and I hope to see you again sometime soon, maybe even at one of our other camps in Moab Utah or in Glacier Montana!

Reviewed June 9, 2014

I originally rented a tipi which would have two cots for me and my wife. Then we discovered the weather was going to be like and decided to upgrade to a safari tent which would include not only a wooden stove, but also a king size bed.

It was a bit nippy when we arrived and i was worried about staying warm. A few logs in the stove and the tent heated up nicely, though it was stilled slightly chilly a the far end of the tent from where stove was. Yet when we hit the sack for the night we hardly noticed. Why? The bed.

The bed was amazing, it was more comfortable then the four other places we had stayed at during our trip. We were doing a long road trip with several stops. By far this bed in a humble tent had the softest mattress between them all.

The bathrooms were nice and tidy. The water was surprising hot for what it was, which was a surprise. Either that or I was that cold that it seemed that hot. Either way I was impressed. I thought I would be freezing after the shower in the bathroom, but it was actually comfortable.

My wife enjoyed the first night by the camp fire with other guests. She was disappointed that she couldn't roast any marshmellows, but understood that it was necessary to restrict food in the area since it was considered wilderness area and that live animals would be attracted to the area if food was allowed. We made up for it by taking avantage of their reception area. We filled our water bottles and our traveling thermoses with hot tea on our way out to Yellowstone everyday.

One recommendation to those who come: bring boots, I didn't realize how muddy it was. Our tent was on the far end of the camp site. We had a employee drive us with our luggage across the camp ground. I'm guessing it was the golf cart that had dug the ruts in the grass, because there was huge patches of bare earth. It rained the first night and several times during the day. The ground was pretty wet and muddy and the path back with our luggage was a bit of work between the mud patches and the areas where water had pooled up. It would have been nice if they could lay out wooden boards or something for those occasions.

Room Tip: Try to get a tent closer to the entrance and away from the reception area. Close to the enterance...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Danielle H, General Manager at Under Canvas Yellowstone, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2014

Thank you for the Exceptional comments!!! We are very pleased that you chose to stay with us during your visit at Yellowstone National Park. I am happy to hear that you chose to upgrade with us. As our Tipi's are pretty cozy with the double layered sleeping bags and fleece liners, a king bed is always a nice touch! We hope that you will return to see us again some day. Thank you again from all the Yellowstone Under Canvas team!

Reviewed June 8, 2014

Just returned from a one night stay at Yellowstone Under Canvas. We stayed in one of the Deluxe Suites; which had a bed, couch, woodstove, shower, tub, commode, and sink. It was very clean; and the tent itself appeared to be fairly new. It was still very cold this weekend- dipping down to 34 degrees. We got up several times throughout the night to put more logs in the woodstove. It rained in the middle of the night; but the tent kept us dry. 2 interesting drawbacks that we noticed.... there was both a barbed wire fence and an electrical fence surrounding the entire Deluxe Suite compound. It blocked direct access to the river. This is apparently to protect us from bears. Don't think it was pictured anywhere on their website though. The most notable negative of the stay was the continual drone of the generator the Reception Office ran continually. I understand that this is a remote area; and there is no actual electricity on site- but guests were unable to enjoy the sounds of nature due to the constant noise of the generator. Guests come here to enjoy the quiet- not a generator. Burying an underground electrical line to run the Reception Office; but still keep the feel of the camp may be a better idea.

Room Tip: Spend the extra money to upgrade to the "Suite". Right now- there are only 4 suites. There...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cynrn28
Danielle H, General Manager at Under Canvas Yellowstone, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Thank you for your response. We appreciate all of our reviews as they give us a chance to improve as a team and create a better experience for our guests.

We hope that you will return one day to see first hand that your review gave us the opportunity to grow and improve as a property.