“Great experience.. A few tweaks needed. A must do!”

Under Canvas Yellowstone
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

This was truly an awesome experience and a highlight of our trip. We rented a Deluxe Tent with tepee on the side for the kids and spent two nights. I so want to give this place five stars but there are just a few things that need to improve, and based in our experience with the staff, I am confident this will ocurr. The pros: 1) grounds were gorgeous--kids enjoyed swimming in the Madison River. Comunity fire at night was perfect. 2) tent was fantastic--clean, bed comfortable. Linens refreshed. Wood burning stove worked well. Everyone stayed warm in the 40 degree night. 3) staff was positive and eager to help. Cons: 1) not enough showers. Six showers for 50 camp sites. And if you are far away from the showers, you have a hefty walk to wait in line. 2) the generator for the showers was really loud and annoying for tents close to restrooms. It is turned off by 11 pm though.3) they ran out of coffee in the morning, leaving very crabby guests with no where to get their caffeine fix (5 miles to town.) The poor girl at the reception was by herself so she couldn't run into town to buy some. 4) there is limited capacity for charging electronic devices. The exception arena has an outlet, which they happily allowed us to use, but in peak capacity, this will be an inconvenience.
Suggestions for Improvement:
1) look into a larger coffee service. The girls at the desk were frantically making coffee and hot water throughout the morning while trying to help other guests register/check ou.They could not keep up with demand.

2) more showers. Even though people are camping and should expect to wait in line, for the cost, most people would like the luxury of getting a shower without the line.

3) more staff during peak traffic: Bathrooms linen hampers were overflowing, paper towels out during am. The staff was spread too thin in the morning.

4) Maybe a place to charge devices. I know, it's supposed to be camping, but..

Can't wait to visit again and see all the improvements. Truly a unique and wonderful experience.

• Stayed: July 2013
BobGeneralManager, General Manager at Under Canvas Yellowstone, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

I truly appreciate your constructive suggestions. As we are continuing to grow and improve, we have experienced some value ideas presented by our guestsgrowing pains. Our team is constantly looking for ways to improve and restroom/shower facilities have been a big part of our focus. We have already added two restrooms at the far end of camp, one with shower. And one more restroom near reception to help shorten any wait.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stayed at Yellowstone Under Canvas during a recent trip to Yellowstone. Even though it is outside the park you do feel as though you are communing with nature.

The Safari tents are comfortable and keeping nice a warm is not an issue with the wonderful bedding they supply as well as the wood stove in each. Our private tee-pee bathroom/shower was a nice to have but if I was to go back I probably wouldnt spend the extra money to have one. The facilities they provide for those without private baths are more than adequate.

Just a friendly reminder....you ARE camping. Even though you have someone making your bed and cleaning your tent, you cannot bring food onto the grounds due to the chance of attracting wildlife.

Part of the the fun is end of the day fire that the staff build where everyone sits and swaps strories and perhaps have a cocktail.

Room Tip: Dont spend the money on the Safari Tent unless you have someone in your party that is just NOT a cam...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed your id photo. Too cool! Anyway thank you so much for volunteering your opinion of your stay with us. It is always refreshing to have our guests share their perspective with others. Take care.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

My husband and I have camped most of our lives for vacations. Now that we have turned 50 it is not as much fun sleeping on the ground so we thought this would be a great solution! We rented the safari tent with the king size bed and a wood burning stove. The $195.00 price tag was about what we would have paid for a hotel room.

We were leaving Grand Teton National Park and get to Yellowstone Under Canvas. I decided to call and ask if we would get there by putting the address on their website into our GPS. The young girl answering the phone said we should not use the address but she was not sure of the directions and could she have someone call me back. I waited over 30 minutes for a return call. When I finally called them back another young girl answered. I told her I was waiting for someone to call me back to help with directions. In a nasty voice she said, "Well where are you? I can't help you if I don't have a street name." I told her I would figure it out and hung up.

Where we arrived at Yellowstone Under Canvas we were greeted by two young ladies. One got right up and began to help us. We were told although the place had tents it is run like a hotel. When I made the appointment I had signed up for the Sundowner package and two lunches for the following morning. I asked when the Sundowner event occurred and they told us to just pick a time. After asking numerous questions we finally decided on 8:00. We weren't sure why we had to ask so many questions instead of them telling us what we needed to know. We were also told that our lunches would be ready the following morning at 7:00 am which was prefect because we'd be leaving at that time to meet our private tour guide and did not want to be late.

At 8:00 my husband and I went back to the registration tent for our Sundowner package. We reminded the girl what we were there for and she told us she would go get everything. Before she left a family came in to ask about staying for the night and she began to help them. We waited for about 20 minutes for her to answer all their questions and register them - even though we arrived first. Finally another girl came up and when we told her why we were there she asked us to go wait by the river and she'd bring everything to us. My husband could not watch this young girl carry a small table and two chairs down to us and went up to help her. She did tell him it was not necessary but he's such a gentleman. :) The food tray was better than we expected and watching the sunset was wonderful! We would recommend you splurge for the package if you go.

There were six showers which seemed to be enough for the people who were there. My husband and I decided to shower during the evening because we had to leave early and didn't want to worry about lines. We took showers around 9:30 pm. Just as I was ending my shower I noticed the water pressure was barely there, fortunately I was finished. Unfortunately my husband was all soaped up and spent the next 20 minutes trying to get all the soap off of him with the spurts of ice cold water that was coming out. All the other showers were experiencing the same thing!

We were VERY pleased with the tent! The bed was very comfortable! My husband lit the wood burning stove later in the evening which made the tent so warm and cozy. He did not continue to feed the fire through the night but we stayed warm under the thick blankets! It felt like we were camping but it was soooo comfortable. BEST PART OF THE WHOLE EXPERIENCE!!

The next morning we packed up put everything in the car and went to the registration tent to pick up our lunches. We were told by a young girl that her manager didn't show up that morning and someone was still in town picking them up. We reminded her we had to meet a private guide (we'd paid a lot of money for) and could not be late. We also knew we need lunches for our nine hour tour! She said they would be there in about 5 minutes. Finally at 7:30 our lunches arrived! We bolted out of there and made it to our appointed spot just in time!

I know this is long... Let me say, this was a nice experience but could have been so much better! My husband and I both felt like there needed to be someone more mature directing the younger people. Everyone (after the phone call for directions) was very kind and wanted to do whatever they could to make the experience a good one BUT they lacked direction. The location is wonderful and the tent experience was excellent. It was a collection of "small things" that made it less enjoyable than it should have been. Proceed with caution...

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
BobGeneralManager, General Manager at Under Canvas Yellowstone, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. I am sorry it was not better for you. I do feel bad that you experienced so many "little things" gone wrong. By reading your comments I get the impression you were here earlier in the season. I can assure you that the issues you identified have been addressed and improved upon. Thank you for your kind understanding. I promise you when you see us again you will see that we also believe the little things are truly what makes the experience.

Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

At £150 a night it wasn't cheap but what a great experience without having to lug a tent with you on holiday! The double bed was really comfortable and the room felt very luxurious and spacious. Now for the downside; we were a 2 minute walk from the 6 toilets that served over 50 tents with up to 4 people in each. It doesn't sound far but in pitch blackness on uneven ground it is! They need another block of toilets at the other end of the bank of tents to make the walk shorter and the queues smaller.

• Stayed: July 2013
BobGeneralManager, General Manager at Under Canvas Yellowstone, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2013

Thank you so much for visiting with us, it is always great to hear how our guests viewed their experience. And to get constructive feedback for our continued success. In response to your suggestions for the bathrooms, we have added three additional tipi restrooms and included a shower in one. We do value your suggestion and look forward to having you visit again so we can show our improvement. Take care.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

I have been travelling round the world with my husband for the last 4 months and this was by far and away the best place we stayed on our whole trip. We stayed in a deluxe tent which was superb and the experience of having a bath in our tent was fantastic! They are also in a great location by the river so we got to see beavers and moose right almost from our bed - unbelieveable! The location of the site is great for getting into Yellowstone park and there's a great restaurant right next door to the site. We absolutely loved our stay here and hope to return again and again!

Room Tip: We loved having a bathroom in our tent so we went for the deluxe tent option. We stayed in the tent...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Laura C
BobGeneralManager, General Manager at Under Canvas Yellowstone, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

We are so pleased to hear comments from our past guests. We are so happy that you especially enjoyed the deluxe safari tent. To have someone who has travelled so many miles say we are the best so far makes the staff at YUC extremely happy and motivates us to keep getting better. Thank you so much for your kind words and for staying with us.

Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

We, a group of 6 friends rented a tent here and thoroughly enjoyed evey minute of being in the arms of nature under the stars.. The tents are great, the bathrooms are clean and the location is excellent. Highly recommended and worth the price

2  Thank Ruchashah
BobGeneralManager, General Manager at Under Canvas Yellowstone, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. My personal favorite view here is the night sky. It is amazing to see the Milky Way stretch from one horizon clear across the sky to the other. Glad to hear you enjoyed that as well.
Take Care.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

My family of 5 stayed for 2 nights and enjoyed every second of it! We took a week long trip from Salt lake city to Jackson Hole to Yellowstone and my three kids all agreed that Yellowstone Under Canvas was their favorite part. The staff was wonderful! We loved Bob who helped us get our stove going. The bathrooms were very clean and well attended. We enjoyed coffee and hot chocolate from the reception tent while we sat next to the river in the morning.

I was concerned when we arrived on a cold and rainy evening that this was going to be a bust, but once the wood burning stove got cooking - we were so warm that we didn't even need to use the numerous thick blankets provided. We stayed in a safari tent with a king sized bed and then had 2 cots for our two older kids. The cots had mattresses and double thick sleeping bags - more than enough to stay warm. The tent was cleaned and beds made the next day, also our wood and fire starting supplies were refreshed while we were out exploring.

The second night we enjoyed the campfire, meeting and sharing stories from people from all over the world! There was a number or kids running around the open field playing tag and just being kids. It was wonderful. I did not want to leave. I hope they open up more campsites all over the country so we can go Glamping again.

The only complaint I have is of the restaurant, but I am not going to let it marr they review of Yellowstone Under Canvas. We went for dinner the first night and got the feeling that they didn't want our business. Yes, I have 3 kids, but they know how to behave. The place was almost empty but the hostess (older woman with short dark hair - drove a red jeep- i'll get to that in a sec) took over 5 minutes to greet us. She attended to a few other tables before coming to the hostess stand. She asked how many in our party and then had to leave to find us a table. After a few more minutes, she did not return ( the place is just not that big!) so we left.

The next day we were leaving down the long, rutted & bumpy dirt road and we were approached from the opposite direction from a red jeep waving us down. It was the same rude lady from the restaurant. She told us we needed to slow down on "my road." We were going the posted speed limit of 15mph and I don't think we could go much faster as the road conditions were not very good and you had to constantly watch out for cows crossing the road. Actually, she appeared to be going a good bit faster than we were.

So in conclusion, I loved the tents and service at Yellowstone Under Canvas, but I would recommend avoiding the Bar N Ranch for dinner. Watch out for cows and the crazy woman driving the red Jeep. It was a great experience and one that my family will not forget.

Room Tip: If you stay near the reception tent you are closer to the bathrooms. The rooms with a view were a b...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

It is always great to read a survey that lets people know all the little things the staff here does to make you comfortable in all conditions. We spend much of every cool/cold evening building fires in woodstoves and I think we enjoy it as much as you all do. The housekeepers work especially hard to make suure the beds are clean, comfortable and ready to warm our guests every night. Like you I personally enjoy our evening community fire. (I only wish I could spend more time there.) The stories shared of Yellowstone and the four corners of the world are so entertaining. Thank you for staying with us and thank you for sharing your story.
Take Care.