“Wonderful Place” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Layton, Utah
“Wonderful Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

This was perfect for me! I was traveling solo both trips to Yellowstone and while I could have easily stayed in a hotel or campground, I wanted to experience nature and the camping experience. However, I really didn't want to try to set up a tent solo. This offered a great option for me.

I went to Yellowstone Under Canvas twice this season, once in Jun and again in Sep. They made a great impression. I was running late the first day, due to some snafus with my travel and called. Sarah and Jake graciously waited till I arrived late. When I arrived the second time, I was instantly recognized and welcomed back.

My first trip was in a tipi with a twin bed. Perfect, the blankets were warm, and Jake even brought a sleeping bag, not knowing if I'd need it (didn't, even though it got to mid-30's). I made some suggestions on a few things, and they took all the comments seriously.

Second trip, I stayed in a normal tipi. I'm not good with sleeping bags, but they were warm and once I figured out how to sleep in one, was quite comfortable, even into the 20's.

I am looking forward to going back next year and getting a safari tent with my husband. They seemed perfect for me. What could be better than waking up to a sunrise unrestricted by buildings and only hearing nature?

Yes you can camp for cheaper in the park or other places, but you'd have to set the tent, and deal with the myriad of things that come with 'roughing' it. This way, you just sit back and enjoy!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank lforinger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

actually, i wasn't sure WHAT to expect.. with 3 children (ages 2, 4 & 7) camping isn't always the most fun thing for a mom.. so when my husband told me we were going 'glamping' and i didn't need to bring anything but clothes, i was skeptical to say the least. don't tell him i said so, but he was right! we had a wall tent near the communal bathroom trailer. it had a VERY NICE king size bed and 3 child sized cots. as i said, the bathrooms were close by, and my husband and i each got up at least once during the night to use them with no problems. i don't know how many people were staying there that weekend (August 10-12, 2012) but i never had to wait for a bathroom. they were VERY warm and clean, and had toiletries and extra towels in them. when using them during the night, we took the lantern that was included with the tent. we dined at the bar 9 restaurant once for dinner. the food was SUPERB! A little pricey, but the portions were HUGE, and we could've easily got by ordering half of what we did. will definitely go again, next time i will just share a burger with my husband instead of getting my own! i consider myself pretty picky when it comes to accommodations, yet i felt my experience here was quite glamorous. can't wait to go back next summer! i enjoyed it much more than any hotel in west Yellowstone (i live in Bozeman and frequent the area often). and the views-breathtaking!

• Stayed August 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SarahDusek, Owner at Yellowstone Under Canvas, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Thank you so much for your recommendation! We're so glad you had a great time. We loved having you!

We were actually full the weekend you stayed with us - so I am glad to hear you never had any problem with lines for the bathrooms!

Come and see us again in 2013!
Bend, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

We recently spent four days at Yellowstone Under Canvas and absolutely loved it. We sprang for the deluxe package and were very pleased with the experience. The views were breathtaking and that tent! Between an old cast-iron wood stove and the many many blankets, staying warm was (almost) never a problem, even as the temperature dropped to close to freezing. At one point, we enjoyed a special sunset package on the banks of the Madison River, which was gorgeous. On the outskirts of West Yellowstone, it was only a few minutes into the town and roughly five minutes to the entrance of the park.

The heated bathroom teepees worked very nicely for us, although I admit if you are over six feet tall, the showers could be a bit problematic.

Some of the most fun we had was visiting with other visitors down at the fire pit. We did notice that when the camp was full, it was a bit noisy (that was a non-issue after Labor Day and we officially started the off-season, when the camp pretty much emptied out).

More than once, we went to eat at the Bar-N Ranch restaurant just down the dirt road and were, for the most part, very pleased. The breakfasts were incredibly good. We had dinner there once, I splurged on the buffalo ribeye, which was good, but not $45 good in my opinion, while my wife was kind of disappointed in her New York strip steak, which had an unadvertised spicy rub on it.

We would especially like to single out the service we got from Will during our stay, who made sure our stay was enjoyable, and Kung-Fu Master Leonard, Camp Mouser, who helped us get our kitty fix while we were away from home.

If I was to recommend two changes I'd like to see, it would be for the tents - especially the deluxe tents - to be spread out a bit more to allow for some more privacy, and it would be nice if the sheets were changed, if not daily, at least every other day. But other than that, we were very pleased with out experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DMeddish
Durango, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

As an avid traveller who loves to camp, loves the outdoors but also loves a little luxury, I was extremely disappointed by my stay at Yellowstone Under Canvas a few weeks ago.

Firstly this place is overpriced, wow! It’s more expensive that most hotels, but with minimal overheads I’m not sure why. Because of the costs I would expect better service and better tents.

The site is crowded, very crowded. They have like ten acres or something, awesome... so why are all the tents pushed and crammed together? I was looking for a quiet getaway, not a weekend listening to my neighbors talking and people walking around with their dogs.

The tents inside are nice, but on our first night the mattress fell through the bed as the wood supports hadn’t been put on properly. Glamorous. It obviously hadn’t been swept out as there were hairs etc on the floor.

The teepee bathroom was god awful. I had to put my clothes on the toilet and there was no mirror and a solitary solar lamp. There is a tiny slippery surface on which to balance when getting dressed... I would have preferred to use the main bathrooms but they were always so busy. I was also told by the owner that those bathrooms shut down at night and toilets can’t be flushed as the generator is off. This can be problematic when wanting to leave extra early for a hike and not being able to use the facilities, therefore being forced to use the teepee.

There were bugs and moths in the tents and teepees but yea, this is camping and that’s to be expected. My problems weren’t with the great outdoors and it’s beauty (the camp is located in a fantastic area) it is with the lack of value and the disregard the managers/ owners have for people’s opinions.

Oh and you are not allowed to take any food or bathroom products onto the site as they are in bear country. Toothpaste, shower gel etc... leave it in the car and hike it over to the bathroom every morning and evening. The owner told me “it’s great exercise” yeah but I would sooner get my exercise hiking a trail to a viewpoint rather than trekking to and from my car in the dark, what’s the fun in that?

Overall this place is a rip off, even the staff in Bar N Ranch down the road told me YUC had been plagued with problems this summer. Maybe go to business school and try again next year. This isn’t the way “glamping” should be done.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms. Avoid bathrooms first thing in the morning as the toilets don't flush o...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jasmine D
SarahDusek, Owner at Yellowstone Under Canvas, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Firstly its somewhat bizarre to hear this guest comment that the owners have little regard for people's opinions. We would not have taken the time to respond to every critique of our camp on this forum if that were at all true nor would we have made dozens and dozens of changes and improvements to the camp as our season has gone on. More improvements and changes will also be made for our 2013 season based on guests requests, comments and criticisms. We take very seriously guests critique and we would continuously hope to improve and better satisfy our guests in any and every way we can. My staff work very hard to ensure guests needs are met whilst they are with us and we will always listen to all suggestions for ways to improve the camp. This year for example our tipis have been vastly improved by the introduction of foam mattress pads, chairs, tables, and more bedding. Next year our camp will be spaced out very differently to try and ensure that guests feel like they have more space and privacy so they can enjoy getting away from it all even more. We plan to introduce another level of tent altogether that will be much more secluded and hidden from sight from all other tents. Our challenge of course though is to make sure that none of our tents are too far from the bathrooms as otherwise we'll start having complaints that the bathrooms are too far to walk to!!!

With regards to the walk to the car to collect toiletries this at most is a 1 minute walk from our furthest tent to the car park. We do encourage all our guests not to leave their toiletries in their tent as anything with a scent - drink, food or toiletries could be an attractant for bears. Yes it is an inconvenience to take the 1 minute walk back to your car at the beginning and end of the day but in comparison to the inconvenience and danger of having a bear in your tent it doesn't even begin to compare! We have upheld very strict policies this year regarding the presence of food, drink and toiletries in the tents and for very good reason - we prize people's safety very highly - more highly than inconveniencing people! The result of this policy is that we have had no bear activity here all summer - which has meant this has been a happy, safe place to camp where guests have not had to worry about any night time unwanted visitors. This is a policy therefore that will not change as we will always care more about your safety than whether something is popular or not.

The tipi bathroom has been critiqued here as having no where to put your clothes or to stand. Some people obviously need an inordinate amount of space in their bathroom as there is more than enough space here to stand and get dressed. The bathroom is 14 feet in diameter and has carpet all the way around the tent floor which is perfect for standing on and getting dressed. There is no need to balance in the shower area! Clothes of course can be put on the toilet whilst you are getting showered and we can definitely supply more hooks for hanging up towels and clothes. This will be an improvement made in 2013. The toilets in all our bathrooms - tipi or trailer can be used at any time of the day or night and can be flushed regardless or whether the generator is on or not. This guest had obviously not understood the affect the generator going off overnight had as the toilets can be used at any time. The generator does go back on at 6am and guests can then also shower. For 99% of our guests 6am is early enough for the water to come back on.

All our tents are cleaned everyday meticulously and then they are checked by the housekeeping manager before guests start to arrive every day. If a guest is ever unsatisfied with the cleanliness of their room we do wish they would tell us so we could rectify it immediately. We would have no hesitation cleaning the room again or switching the room if the guest was not satisfied and we had availability. It seems some people just like to find things to complain about after their stay rather than make their complaint known at the time when something could actually be done to rectify. We would urge all our guests to always make known their dissatisfaction to us on site rather than just find things to rant about on trip advisor. There is no integrity with that whatsoever.

We have had a problem with a couple of our beds this season with damaged slats causing mattresses to sink . These have all now been replaced and attached permanently so this should not be a problem in the future.

With regards to being over priced - this is all to do with perception. We believe in comparison with other options for lodging in West Yellowstone we offer a well priced, unique, amazing place to stay. Our excellent reviews would attest to this. Unless you have run a tented camp yourself I'm quite sure you'd have not a clue what our overheads are likely to be. To run in affect a hotel with no mains water, no electricity, no high speed internet, no gas - actually no mains services whatsoever is an expensive feat! Our staff tirelessly make routine normal life tasks happen for our guests with a great amount of effort spent. Running this kind of camp is definitely not an easy or cheap option!

This has been a challenging first season as there have been many variables, challenges that we have had to work through along the way but we believe that a large majority of our 4000 visitors to our camp this summer would attest to the fact that this is an amazing place to stay
in an incredible part of the world. We look forward to welcoming many people back and many new guests in 2013.
Lapel, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

First of all, I don't usually do a review so bear with me. We stayed 4 nights in the deluxe safari tent with the wood burning stove and tipi bathroom. The location is breathtaking. It is so beautiful! I've never been to Montana before or out west for that matter, but it was just beautiful. The sunsets were gorgeous and the location by the river was beautiful. We also enjoyed Leonard and Jasper (cat and dog) that liked to visit with us during our stay.

When I first reserved our tent, I was hoping that we would be in more of a secluded spot. When we got there, all of the tents were pretty close together. So I was a little disappointed with that. There was someone snoring really loudly next to us the first night so that was kind of...not fun.

The floor of our tent was a little dirty. There was a big stain on our pillow sham. We paid $1200 for the tent and bathroom so I figured it would be immaculate. I understand bugs get in and that doesn't bother me. The tipi bathroom was very clean and they came and cleaned every day. It didn't have a mirror, which proved to be difficult for us when getting ready in the morning, but we got by. There wasn't anywhere to put your clothes or towels when you were showering. I just ended up putting them on the floor. I didn't have as hard of a time in the tipi bath as my husband, who is 6'4''....he didn't fair so well. It wasn't high enough for him so he was hunched over all the time. But that wasn't a deal breaker for us.

The beds have a LOT of blankets which I was SO THANKFUL for and I have to give them a plus for that because it got down to freezing at night. My husband and I were toasty all night as long as we were under the covers. The wood burning stove was so nice and I really enjoyed getting that going, especially in the evening, when it started to get cold. The manager told us to put the long-burning log and reduce the damper down to let it slowly burn for 6 hours. It was so cold out that I had to keep the damper wide open to even keep the tent relatively warm. So we went through our wood pretty fast. But our daily allotment was fine and they restocked us, gave us more kindling and fire starter. So that was good. The water was shut off at 11:00 and turned back on at 6:30. That didn't bother us. It wasn't loud to me either when the generator was going.

In the morning....the first morning was NOT good. I got up to take a shower because I didn't want to take a shower at night and have my tipi all lit up for everyone to see my shadow. So I got up. It was pretty much 30 degrees outside. The tipi heater was not turned on. I turned on the water and it was ice cold. Would not heat up. I didn't end up washing my hair that morning. Not a big deal. So I let management know when we got back for the day. They said that they have been having trouble with the hoses freezing and will have to bury them next year. I said I understood so we tried to maneuver our schedule so we got back early enough to take a shower. We got up in the morning and the management had turned on our tipi propane heater and it was nice and toasty but the morning didn't have warm water, which we didn't figure it would. So that second day, we both had nice hot showers but we had to get back to camp around 5:00 pm. Third morning, again, the bath was toasty in the morning but no hot water. The third day, we got back around 7:30 and the showers never did heat up real well. So we took cold showers. At least our tent was warm! The fourth morning, the hoses had frozen and we had no water. And our tipi heater wasn't turned on. We just left. The shower situation was terrible for us and I guess if that would've been a little better, we would've been more happy. At the end of our vacation, I just wished we would've gone camping at Yellowstone.

The Bar N Ranch restaurant did not impress us. It was overpriced in my opinion. It was good, but not anywhere that I would want to go twice. My husband got the rack of lamb ($36) and I got an Herbed Chicken Breast ($22) (prices are approximate). It wasn't bad but we only went one time and I had no desire to go a second time because the food was just okay to me. If you want an AMAZING breakfast, go to Ernies in West Yellowstone. We ate there three times for breakfast. The sticky buns were absolutely amazing! And they will also pack you a lunch (like Bar N Ranch) to take if you want to picnic at Yellowstone. We didn't get Ernie's lunch, but everything they make is fresh and it was very tempting.

So to wrap this all up....The staff was really nice and I liked the tent. The only real complaint was the bathroom. I think they are going to work on this for next year so it's a work in progress. I think maybe September isn't the best time to go glamping. I think that if you went in June, July or August your experience would probably be better. And the location is so beautiful. I might consider going back if the bathroom situation gets better. :)

Room Tip: if you go in the fall, you must have a deluxe tent with the fireplace. it gets very cold at night!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Schmaub
SarahDusek, Owner at Yellowstone Under Canvas, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
I'm so sorry you didn't enjoy your tipi bathroom experience! They are beautiful hand crafted bathrooms in a tipi that are really novel to shower in. I'm not quite sure why you did not draw to our attention whilst you were with us that you were having such difficulties with your hot water as probably a quick check from a member of staff could have rectified things. Guests often tamper with the water heater controls (despite signs asking them not to touch them) and so sometimes the settings are just in the wrong place which hinders the water heating up to its proper temperature. There is obviously not a lot we can do with freezing temperatures overnight freezing the water lines but this has only happened 4 or 5 times all season long so it is unusual. In those rare cases guests are encouraged to use our other luxury bathroom facilities were there is always hot running water so that showering is always possible at whatever time of day you choose! Obviously the cold outside air temperature makes showering in the evenings more pleasurable but morning or evening showering should never be an issue. I'm so sorry you did not have a good experience. I wish you had drawn it to our attention at the time so we could have improved things for you. It is obviously frustrating to hear a complaint after the guest has long departed when we could have helped at the time!

The elements out here do play a part in everyone's experience and in surely why many people choose to come out and stay with us because of the outdoor experience. Guests do just need to be prepared for some variables and to ask for assistance when things are not quite as you would wish. We will always do our utmost to ensure our guests are as comfortable as possible and have all the services available that we offer.

As I have mentioned in other responses to reviews plans are afoot for our 2013 season to provide more space between our tents and more seclusion for some of our tents. We are excited about planning for the year ahead!
Green Bay, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

We were a bunch of 15 who had visited Yellow Stone under canvas for the night of Sept 2,2012.It was a wonderful experience, amid the beautiful Mountains under the Moonlit sky and just 15-20 mins from West Entrance.
The tents were very comfortable with sleeping bags and cots, and we were allowed to use camp fire.The people there were very friendly, special thanks to Will for taking very good care of our group.The toilets were neat and clean which actually supassed our expectation.
I would like to recommend this place to all those who are thinking of camping near Yellowstone but do not want to carry the gear for camping.Am sure you will like the Deluxe tents and Safari tents here but my word go for Tipis they really make you feel as if you are camping yet all the basic neccesities are provided to you as if it is a hotel.It is reasonably priced and a wonderful place to stay.

Room Tip: Go for Deluxe tents if you are a visting as a couple they are really nice.Definitely opt for Safari...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Abhishek C
Scotch Plains, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for 4 nights in a deluxe tent with 3 small children and had a blast. The location is beautiful. The tent was picture perfect, and our 3 little girls loved "roughing" it. The staff was great and always ready with whatever we needed and was very friendly. Make sure to spend at least one night at the camp fire for some fun company. The nights were cold already in August, but the stoves in the tent worked wonders. We had an awesome time.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family