“They charged me 3 times for my stay.”

Under Canvas Yellowstone
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 31, 2012

The stay was okay, not as glamorous as I would have thought for the money they charged. But still, a different kind of experience for my family of 4. We stayed in a safari tent. But my warning to future travelers...check your credit card/bank account. I was charged 3 TIMES for our stay. The second charge was reversed with a half-hearted apology. The third charge was reversed after 2 weeks and several phone calls asking when the mistake would be fixed. I am disappointed in Yellowstone Under Canvas' customer service and accounting practices. And I hope this does not happen to future travelers. - Stephanie

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
SarahDusek, Owner at Under Canvas Yellowstone, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2012

We operate under the extremely unusual and challenging conditions of no mains power, no mains water, and no high speed internet which often makes performing routine tasks challenging. 98% of the time all administration and processing of credit cards is carried out flawlessly. However on this occasion we had exceptional difficulties processing this particular guest's credit card. We had a problem with our online credit card processing system together with online access problems. We knew immediately that there was a problem with this guest's card and she was notified and asked to check her credit card to see if her reservation amount had in fact gone through twice or just once. She affirmatively answered it had gone through twice and so the process was started to refund the monies back on to her. We experienced further difficulties with our on line card processing system and they were contacted directly for support with this customer. They then mistakenly refunded her card twice which of course then resulted in having to charge the customers card a 3rd time in order to actually charge her for her stay. This guest was kept up to date with the situation and was made aware of the problems that we were having with our system that were beyond our control and she was refunded in full for the charges that were on her card in error. When she checked in she was greeted by myself the owner and I apologized profusely for the trouble we had had with getting her reservation payment straightened out. There was nothing half-hearted about the apology she received. We would never want a guest to be inconvenienced or experience difficulties such as this guest did. However, occasionally things beyond our control do happen and we can only rectify them as fast as our systems will allow. We will always rectify any mistakes that have occurred either through human error or technological difficulties as fast as we possibly can.

There are newer reviews for Under Canvas Yellowstone

Reviewed July 17, 2012

My family of 7 stayed at Yellowstone Under Canvas last week in 2 Deluxe tents. It was exactly as expected and exactly as advertised. A unique, easy and relaxed camping experience that allowed our family to enjoy the natural habitat around Yellowstone. The tents were beautifully done and very clean. The bathrooms we used were very clean and better than expected (it's camping and we still could get warm water). The owner (Sara) is extremely friendly and accommodating.

All was great - views were beautiful, a wonderful camping feel ( take it from someone who has camped and lived in tents over 200 days in his life), food at the restaurant (only a 5-10 minute walk) was good and convenient, the night was quiet (and cold as expected when you're camping). The rest of our trip our family stayed in 4 star accommodations and this experience was best of all (brought us all closer together). I highly recommend this location.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

Last year we had a great time "glamping" in the San Juan Islands and thought a one-night stay in one of the Deluxe canvas tents would be a fun way to kick off our trip through Yellowstone. We were traveling with our kids (ages 7 & 9) and made our reservation for the Deluxe Canvas tent along with two cots. When I made the original reservation I was told that they could also make dinner reservations at the Bar-N ranch restaurant. Yellowstone Under Canvas leases out some of the Bar-N land for their set-up. About a week out from the trip I called to confirm our lodging reservation and was told that yes, we were booked for one of the Deluxe Canvas tents. I believe that only the Deluxe tents enjoy the wide open view of the Madison River. All the other tents and tipis are located behind the Deluxe Tents. The day before our arrival I called to confirm the time for our dinner reservation, but was never called back. This was not a big deal because you really don't need a dinner reservation at the Bar-N, you can just show-up.

When we arrived, the reception host, looked up our reservation and said, "Ok, I have 4 of you in a tipi together." I thought he was making a joke, but then realized he was serious. I thought, OK, this is a gorgeous setting, if we end up in a tipi, it won't be the end of the world, but after 10 minutes of looking through his computer and discussing with Sara (the owner) they found a deluxe tent was in fact available. We grabbed our stuff from the car and loaded it into a little wagon to go to our Tent. The setting is stunning and the furnishings exactly what I expected. The private bathroom in its own tipi next to the tent was also a huge bonus. When the host situated us in our tent we asked where the cots would be set up for our kids and he assured us they would fit in just fine and that they would set them up for us.

Then my husband walked up with a beer in his hand thinking he would sit on the porch, take in the view, and reward himself with a cold one after driving five hours from Ketchum, Idaho. Well...it was not to be. Because of safety concerns nothing other than water can be consumed in or around the tents or tipis. Any food or beverage must be consumed in the parking area or near the bench about 100 yards away by the river. All toiletries must be kept in the adjoining bathroom tipi and may not be in your tent. This is a safety precaution as there are bears in the area, but it definitely puts a damper on things. It would have been nice to know ahead of time that even a glass of wine or cup of coffee is prohibited anywhere near the tents.

We left soon after we checked in to head into Yellowstone and check out the Firehole Canyon area and then we went straight to dinner at the Bar-N restaurant. It was close to 10 when we returned from dinner and we were really annoyed that our kids beds had never been set-up. We tracked the host down at the Bar-N restaurant because I had seen him there when we were leaving. They got him on the phone and he had completely forgotten to set up the cots for the kids. After about 10-15 minutes he came in and got them set-up. It was not a huge big deal, but with the confusion about our original reservation, and then the hassle of having to track down the host to get beds for our kids it was pretty annoying. In the morning he said to us, "Did you request the cots when you arrived?" I told him when I set up the original reservation I requested them and then when he brought us to the tent my husband asked him directly. I followed that up by asking where he thought they were going to sleep and he remarked that some families all sleep in the one bed together. Really??? It isn't that big of a bed.

I would not give Yellowstone Under Canvas a strong recommendation. The best part about it is the absolutely beautiful location. If you go, plan that you won't be able to have any meals or beverages near your cabin and that if you plan to cook at all you will be doing so on your tailgate in the parking lot. There is a lovely bench near the river where you can take your picnic, but that is your only option. The restaurant at the Bar-N is decent for dinner, and very good for breakfast. I would recommend the Bar-N restaurant for sure. I found the management of Yellowstone Under Canvas to be disorganized and laid back to a fault. My reservation should have been clear...My kids should have had beds....This is an easy problem to fix and I hope they get a better handle on their customer service because they have a special location and as long as they set clear expectations up front regarding the food/beverage policy this place could work really well for some people.

Room Tip: If you want the best view book one of the Deluxe tents and confirm your reservation multiple times m...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
SarahDusek, Owner at Under Canvas Yellowstone, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2012

This family were fantastic guests who did not receive the level of customer service that they should have done. There was a mistake made with the preparation of their tent and 2 camp cots were not set up for them as they had requested in their original reservation. This was completely our error and should have been rectified easily upon their arrival. For reasons unknown to myself this was not handled quickly and efficiently by my staff as it should have been. They also received misinformation from a member of staff about drinking outside their tents. All our guests are requested not to bring food into camp period but we allow our guests to enjoy a drink outside their tent but to return bottles and cans to their car once they have finished. However, for some strange reasons these guests were informed they couldn't even drink outside their tent. This is not the case and we are very sorry for the misinformation they received from my staff member. We are very sorry that their experience of our service and care was not up to scratch. This is not the level of service we want to provide to our guests and we are very sorry that these guests left feeling like we should have done better. We most definitely should have.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

I grew up camping in the UK and Europe and it was never as nice as this! We stayed in a tipi for two nights. Yes, the camping cots are not as comfortable as a real bed, and yes, it got a bit chilly, but what do people expect? We wore warm layers to sleep in, as the hosts suggest, and were fine. We chose to stay here to add something different to our trip (chain hotels with no character can get pretty boring, pretty quickly), and it certainly offered that.
There was a big storm one evening, which actually added to the experience. The way the hosts handled it was proof it is a well run site. My bedding got a bit wet, but it was quickly changed (while we were at the nearby rodeo) and the camp put back in order. Camping is all about being close to nature and on our return to the site once the weather has cleared we were greeted with the most beautiful double rainbow I have ever seen. I think they are putting a photo of it on their website so take a look.
The setting is peaceful and beautiful, the tipis and tents high quality, the bathroom facilities the best possible for a camp site and the hosts friendly and helpful. There's a great restaurant pretty much next door and plenty of space to wander around (or jog, as we did one morning). Plus it's very near to the Yellowstone entrance.
For us, we couldn't have asked for more.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 5, 2012

I did a full blog report on their business operations. But the summary is this:
We booked a deluxe tent with heat. On 06/22 the NPS put restrictions in place including the heat in the deluxe tents. On 07/01 the website still says "Only our deluxe tents have heat" Without a call or advanced warning, they waited till we arrived on 07/03 and told us they can't use the stoves. No discount, no refund, no opportunity to find another place. Because as we all know, there are plenty of vacancies at Yellowstone on the 4th of July holiday.

We tried it, and left after sunset as the temperatures got into the low 40's. And told them we wanted a refund. They offered a small discount, which wasn't even based on our costs to get a different room.

Their answer on 07/05 was that they just found out about this restrictions moments before we arrived. BTW - their website STILL says "Deluxe has heat" even with the fire restrictions still in place.

This is a scam - don't be fooled by this new outfit trying to rip you off. Book elsewhere till they get the kinks out of their business processes.

Was the cabin nice? This is not a review of how pretty or comffy. Its about the horrible business practices.

1  Thank JimSkamarakas
Management response:Responded July 14, 2012

We are not situated on National Forest Land or National Park Land and were only informed on the afternoon of 3rd July that the fire restrictions that had been put in place would affect the use of our wood stoves in our deluxe tents. This guest was informed as soon as was humanly possible that they would no longer be able to use their stove and this guest was incensed that we had not let them know ahead of time. This guest was offered a partial refund due to the inconvenience of lack of pre-arrival awareness however this was deemed still not to be acceptable, despite the fact their tent was very useable they still had access to a beautiful tent with a private bathroom and warm weather that would actually not warrant the use of the stove. This guest was abusive and threatening and such attitudes will not be accommodated in our camp.

Reviewed June 22, 2012

we stayed at a deluxe tent and paid for it. the prices were ultra expensive for what you get, especially when you consider that they try to charge you $2 for a night burning log and $10 for more firewood. we did sundowners and paid for it...$20 per person for a glass a wine and a couple pieces of cheese appeared steep to us.

the covers had interesting stains on them which added to our experience.

the experience was interesting as it is different, but we enjoyed our other stays in the area more.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Facil_Traveler
Management response:Responded June 24, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We are disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay as much as we would have hoped. We would always want our rooms to be exceptionally clean and are very sorry that a piece of your bed linen slipped through our high standards. We wish you would have drawn it to our attention during your stay so we could have rectified it immediately.

All deluxe tents come with plenty of fire wood for a one night stay. Should guests require more they are able to purchase more and can also purchase slow burning logs in addition to aid night time warmth.

Our sundowner experience is just that an experience to be enjoyed not a full meal. We are sorry you did not enjoy it as much as we always do.

Reviewed June 12, 2012

So, we did not splurge and stay in the big tents that everyone else seems to be raving about. THey did look very nice. We stayed in the tipi, teepee? We did enjoy ourselves, but we are used to camping. The tipis don't have beds, chairs, heaters, floors, etc. They have 2 cots with sleeping bags and a lantern. We were very very cold at night. We slept in multiple layers to stay warm. It was just like camping, except the tent was provided. The bathrooms were very nice inside, although there were only 3 of them. There was generally a line. Electricity was not on at all hours, so there was often no running water in the bathroom. No wifi as advertised. Other groups were very loud, often shouting, laughing, playing guitars until 2 in the AM. On the positive side- the staff was very friendly, we enjoyed being out in nature, dog-friendly, aa camping experience without a lot of the hassle. A good time, just know the difference between the tipis and the tents. We did enjoy it.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, get a big tent.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
SarahDusek, Owner at Under Canvas Yellowstone, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us! Since your stay with have now gained some more tipi toilets to try and prevent lines for the bathroom and we are enforcing a curfew at 11pm so all our guests can get enough rest whilst on vacation! Generally it is very quiet here at night. It does get very cold here at night so we do encourage all our guests to come prepared for very low temperatures at night by bringing warm clothes and extra layers. As the elevation here is very high (6500 feet!) it can still freeze here at night even in the summer!