“Super 8 West Yellowstone Review”

Super 8 West Yellowstone
Ranked #24 of 39 Hotels in West Yellowstone
Reviewed July 10, 2014

IMy family traveled to West Yellowstone in mid-June and stayed here for one night. I thought that the hotel was very over-priced ($170) a night - based on what we received. The room was very small with two beds and an extremely small bathroom. The breakfast room was the size of an average kitchen and was not able to accommodate all of the guests. The breakfast was mediocre - cereal and fruit. I also wasn't told when I booked it through Super 8 that it is not in the actual town but 8 miles away. I felt that the place did not match the price.

Room Tip: Not sure -
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed July 7, 2014

Super 8 has an 800 number that you can call to reserve a room in almost any Super 8 in the US. Most of the time, it works very well but when we called for a room in West Yellowstone, it failed us. Since I am a senior, walk with a cane, and struggle with stairs, we requested a first floor room. Somehow that information never got passed on to West Yellowstone. When we arrived at the motel, my wife went to the check-in desk while I struggled up the stairs. By the time I got up the stairs, it became clear there was a mis-communication between the Super 8 call center and West Yellowstone. The manager, coming out of his office, spotted my predicament and without waiting for long explanations simply told the clerk to move our room down to the main floor – no muss, no fuss, lots of gracious service. Over the years I have encountered managers that only know the word “no.” Here was a manger that understood the word service knew how to act on it– kudos! The rest of the staff that we met were friendly and helpful too. High marks to all of them.

While I don’t have enough superlatives to describe the staff and the cleanliness of the place, there were a couple disappointments.

The breakfast area was on the east side of the building and the morning sun filled it with light. Just outside, the breakfast area extended onto an expansive deck with more seating. It was a great place to enjoy our morning coffee. The breakfast itself was a disappointment. They offered the minimum breakfast that many Super 8s abandoned years ago. What they had was good, the bread and fruit was fresh and the coffee was great. But at the height of the tourist season when prices are higher, you expect a little more.

My biggest gripe is with the architects that design motels without elevators. And why do they design a bathroom that is so small you have to stand in the tub in order to close the door? If you put the washstand in the room with the tub and toilet it would automatically make enough room to close the door and it would give you more privacy. Then there’s the tiny toilets built for kids. Since none of this applies just to this motel, consider it low marks for ALL motel architects. My apologies to Super 8 West Yellowstone for venting a universal gripe.

Also, a big disadvantage is that the motel is seven and a half miles out of town even though they advertise being in West Yellowstone. There were no restaurants in the area that I noticed unless there was one up at the convenience store of the next-door campground. After we booked the room we had to drive back to West Yellowstone for some supper before heading to bed.

About our evaluation:
We gave them high marks on service and cleanliness. Their value was in the middle of what was available in West Yellowston. We marked the location down because it was so far from everything. The rooms were right up there but not perfection. As for the pool and fitness center, we never even looked for them – we were tired from a long drive and didn’t come here to work out. In fact, I don’t even know if they had either.

Would I stay here again? Probably. But I’ll bring a carry-out from town.

Room Tip: The motel is 7 miles out of town so don't worry when you discover yourself at the outskirts.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2014

We stayed one night at this Super 8 attached to a KOA campground. The room was very clean, and comfortable. The bed definitely so. The staff was friendly and helpful. We ate dinner at the restaurant next door. It was fine for pizza. Nothing gourmet.
A caution- There is nothing around this hotel! And I mean nothing....It is about 7 miles from West Yellowstone. No restaurants, no gas, no shops, etc. So if you are coming from Yellowstone Park like we were, do everything in town before you go to the hotel.
Or if you are headed into Yellowstone Park, be aware when you book a room that you will not find any of the above amenities. Given that it is also a KOA campground, most will have provisions with them.
I definitely would stay here again. It made a great rest stop on our road trip.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 2, 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Super 8
Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

We took a cross country trip as we moved and wanted to stop by Yellowstone. We wanted to stay in the park but were unable too. So I looked at hotels and could not believe how expensive!

However, Super 8 was more than competitive for the area. It quickly became apparent it was because it was outside if downtown West Yellowstone, but I loved that. It was do quiet and gorgeous views from the patio outside.

Also the hotel had a huge mixture of different cultures. It was fun to hear where all the guests were from. The check in person was very helpful and found a tour group for people to join and booked it for them. Also they recommended where to eat outside and inside if town and the recommendations were great.

We went to the KOA down the street to have BBQ made in front of us for a reasonable price. Great recommendation for tired and hungry people.

The room was old however, it was very very clean and neat. The beds were comfortable and though the fridge was small and no microwave we had no problems using the breakfast microwave downstairs to heat up our leftovers. Breakfast was simple fair of frozen waffles, fruit, yogurt and juice.

Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank YellowForsythia .
Reviewed June 17, 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Super 8
1  Thank Montanatraveler G
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Well goes without saying, its a Super 8. Be wary of the 'Buy it Now' feature that most chains call 'prepaid'. They have screwed over many other customers (read the other posts). The outside of the motel and lobby were updated and nice, however the rooms are awful. They are very dated and small with very old features and were overpriced. Stay at a better place in town if at all possible. The location is out of town which Mike will call a "feature" but if you are going to Yellowstone the views are much better there. Staff was ok at best. Rude at times and more of a "who cares about you attitude". I will be staying anywhere but here on my next trip to Yellowstone.

Room Tip: Book anywhere else. You may like the view or the outside of the hotel, but when you get to your roo...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family