“Cultural Seperation”
Review of Red Lotus

Red Lotus
Cuisines: Chinese
Description: New Chinese restaurant in the old Bullwinkle's West location just opened October, 2011. Phone 406-646-7002
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I ate at this place with my Daughter who has been learning japanese. She was able to clue me into what was going on. We were sat in a section by the door, meanwhile a Chinese tour group was sat on the other side of the wall that runs down the middle of this restaurant. That wall is important. It is there so that the Chinese customers can feel separated from the customers from other races that might come in. The Chinese do not approve of mixing if they can help it.

As multiple reviewers have pointed out, this place is run by Chinese immigrants FOR chinese tourists. If you can get past that you will be just fine.

That being said , even though we were on the Gweilo side of the restaurant, the food was still very good. I think they just can't help it. My daughter had the corn soup and loved it. both of our dishes were tasty and served quickly. This was a monday lunch time, so things in all of west yellowstone were just a little slower, which might explain why we did not have the problems others had.

All in all i recommend it, if for no other reason than you now know what is going on and you can come experience what it feels like to be on the outside of a group for once.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

I totally understand this town is a remote tourist place, and should not compare with San Francisco or New York City. I checked out this place the night before we went, it looks clean and décor is fine. But when we stepped into it next day, I realize I made a wrong choice. Here are some comments I can offer to other travelers who may crave for a good Chinese meal on the road:
1. If you are not with a Chinese people tour group - don't come.
2. If you are thinking about fair priced Chinese food - don't come.
3. If you are a Chinese travel with your family, friends - don't come. Oh, do NOT order from the Chinese menu, it will cost you a arm and a leg!

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Our party was 3 and one was Chinese. We are felt the food was delicious and the service was good. The hot sour soup was very good. The Sichuan beef and shrimp were very good. The interior was very pleasant. Highly recommend.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

For those who want authentic chinese food look elsewhere. If you are into low grade overpriced chinese food then this will do the trick. We had a bunch of fried rice and a big bowl of noodles. The fried rice was OK but tiny for $12(We are from Richmond,BC Canada so we know Chinese food). The $16 bowl of noodles can't even compare to a good asian brand instant noodles like ShinRamYun or ChuQianYiDing. Soup base tasted like it was just soy sauce and water. Hardly any other seasoning or veggies. The kicker is that this places charges you a TIPS on your order. What a joke! The other american diners had way better service and food for less and wasn't so bold to charge a tip. Best to bring an instant noodle next time if you crave Chinese!

Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

We had great service, fabulous crab ragoons and good lunches. We had the orange chicken, Mongolian beef and Schezwan chicken, all good.