“More than expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Red Lotus

Red Lotus
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: New Chinese restaurant in the old Bullwinkle's West location just opened October, 2011. Phone 406-646-7002
Salt Lake City, Utah
“More than expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

Wasn't expecting much but the mongolian beer and crab rangoon were actually pretty darned good. We did not dine in - ordered carry out. When I walked in to pick up the order, the hostess had her back to me and I guess I startled her as she jumped when I spoke. What was rather annoying though is that she continued to laugh and put her hand over her mouth the whole time I was standing there. It was kind of embarrassing and uncalled for, I felt somewhat uncomfortable as the situation wasn't THAT funny. Not sure I would go here again, there is another Chinese place in town that probably also has 'decent' Chinese food where the staff is more professional.

Visited July 2013

Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The wait was long, but worth it”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

when we came the place was packed and our wait was long. The front area was really crowded. When we finally got a table hot tea was immediately delivered. We ordered a chefs plate,family style tofu and Mongolian beef. Our orders came fast and with a big bowl of white rice. The food tasted great, we all cleaned our plates. As an added bonus, they do not use msg.

• Visited July 2013
“Unauthentic Chinese food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

We came from DC where Chinese restaurant are not so good. But I had to say they are so much better than red lotus'. Our food was served later than many of the guests came after us, instead of saying a sorry, the waitress (not Chinese) just blamed the chef.

Visited June 2013
“Worst”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Been to this place a couple times to eat the food is okay but the service is horrible, it's the first place I've ever been to where the manger demands to be tip, literally will ask you for tips. Now I know tip to be something that you give based on your own choice. Not in red lotus they demand it from you. And that alone will make the meal even it it taste good leave a sour taste in your stomach.

• Visited June 2013
West Yellowstone, Montana
“Better than expected”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

Not sure what I expected of Chinese in West Yellowstone, but this exceeded it.
First impression: The place was empty until we arrived, and this was on a busy summer Sunday. I gather they mostly cater to Chinese tourists as many who come to an area like this want regional cuisine (bison burgers, trout, elk, etc.). The exterior of the restaurant is nothing special and half a block off the most popular tourism district in town, so I suspect it's generally overlooked unless one is specifically seeking out Chinese food. The interior is surprisingly pleasant. The photo shown is accurate (down to the lack of other patrons!) and somehow manages to blend the log cabin walls with Asian decor in a way that is pleasing to the eye and not at all a cacophony of styles as one might expect. In fact, I failed to notice that the front wall was made up of logs until after I'd finished my meal and was walking out.
The menu is extensive and all of us chose something marked as "spicy". Daughter and I both ordered the Veggies in coconut curry and felt that what it lacked in spice it made up for in freshly-prepared veggies. The only negative was that it was listed under "Vegetable and Tofu Dishes" and contained no tofu. We didn't care enough to inquire if this was correct, but since both our dishes lacked it, we assume that it was not intended to be included and we'd misinterpreted the heading on the menu as meaning that all of the dishes would include tofu. Husband ordered some sort of beef dish and proclaimed it good. Rice was included with all of our meals. My husband upgraded to the fried rice and pointed out that it had meat (he thought pork, but didn't ask) in it, so be aware if you're going for a vegetarian meal. A pot of hot tea is brought to the table immediately, along with ice water. The tea is steeping when brought out. Give it time to brew or you'll be drinking hot water (as a prior reviewer mentioned). Fountain Coke products are available.
Service was very attentive. One would think that being the only patrons in the entire establishment, this would be a matter of course, but often the opposite is true. A slow day leads to waitstaff becoming lazy and ignoring customers. Our water glasses never got below half full and we were checked on frequently. He even offered us take-out boxes for our leftovers before taking away our plates.
If I'm in the mood for Chinese again, I'll return.

• Visited June 2013