“Beautiful river and great experience”

Arrick's Fly Shop and Fly Fishing Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Arrick's Fly Shop's mission statement: In its simplest form, our mission is to pass this great love of fly fishing and the outdoors onto future generations and share it with others. While fly fishermen enjoy the solitude of fishing, there is something to be said for the camaraderie of fishermen and the stories and experiences they share. At Arrick's we consider individuals, friends, couples, children, and families a part of this camaraderie of fishermen, for we all share the love of the great outdoors. Here at Arrick's you will not only find the products needed to make your fly fishing days successful, you will find other fly fishermen to share the excitement of fishing with you. All of us at Arrick's want your fishing experience in Montana and Yellowstone to be as amazing as ours was when we first visited and fly fished these pristine waters. Our passion is fly fishing and our favorite place to do it is here in Yellowstone Country. Let us show you why. Arrick's Fly Shop, Inc. offers guided fly fishing trips and is a full service fly shop with a knowledgable, friendly team of fly fishermen who are ready to help you out. The shop has anything you need to make your fly fishing days success as well as any fly tying material you may be on the lookout for. Arrick's offers full day and half day guided fishing trips. Types of guided fly fishing trips offered are: float trips, walk/wade trips, and instructional trips. Wondering about learning fly fishing and learning on Yellowstone's or Montana's waters? That's wonderful! Beginners and explorers welcome here! Arrick's welcomes all! Arrick's Fly Shop is a full service fly shop that offers a huge selection of fly tying material with a wide variety to choose from for all your fly tying needs. If you're looking for gear: rods, reels, packs, fly tackle, or any other equipment stop in at Arrick's and they will get you set up. Everyone at Arrick's wants you to have an amazing time fly fishing so stop in to say hi and feel free to ask any of the questions you may have.
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Me, my wife, and 8 year-old daughter. Zero fly fishing experience. Since we were apparently in one of the great fishing locations in the world, I wanted to try fishing. Another guide in W. Yellowstone declined, with no hard feelings, because of our daughter's age. Arrick's said no problem and set us up on half day walk trip the next morning.

We showed up and our guide was Pat. From the reviews, Pat appears to be popular and I endorse that 100%. He was terrific and personable and absolutely patient with beginners like us. He got us set up with waders and rods, taught us how to cast (and didn't laugh) and positioned us at various spots in the gorgeous Madison River.

We caught several fish over a few hours, not including a bunch that "got away" likely due to our inexperience with the rod. Our daughter somehow caught the biggest fish of the day, a beautiful rainbow trout. (I suspect Pat greatly assisted, but we'll let the story stay between her and him.)

Pat was terrific with our daughter and my wife. True story: my wife confided that she was scared to go on the trip and almost backed out at the last minute. After the trip, she wanted to buy a fly fishing T-shirt (but no women's cuts were stocked in the store) and a bumper sticker. She ended up buying several flys to make a Christmas ornament out of and hang from her rearview mirror! All credit to Pat (and Arrick's).

This was a highlight of our two and a half week Rocky Mountain trip. It is not an inexpensive experience, but you get what you pay for and we got great value. Would absolutely do it again.

1  Thank BikeArlington
in 9 reviews
"outstanding experience"
"learn how"

Reviewed July 10, 2013

We booked a half day with Arrick. Our guide was Patrick Bond very helpful with lots of tips for fly fishing. We are active seniors and after we think "sizing us up" took us to wade the Gibbon river. Used dry flies with lots of action from "wild" and feisty small trout. We waded up to the base of Gibbon Falls in the bottom of the canyon. Beautiful. Highly recommend Arrick for fly fishing info and Patrick as a guide. On our own we fished Firehole River with geysers and pools along this scenic area.

1  Thank RichDar
Reviewed July 8, 2013

From fly-tying supplies, equipment, and gear to guide trips, advice, and service-- it just doesn't get any better than Arrick's. If you're lining up a guided fishing trip (float or wade or both), ask for Patrick Bond. He is an extraordinary guide, he cares about the fish and the rivers, and he knows how to tell a good story! My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our time on the Madison. Perfect trip!

1  Thank booklady1983
Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

This is my second time fishing with Arrick's since 2001. Back then there was not much competition and they came highly recommended. This time, there are lots of choices but Arrick's still had the best reputation, and since the price was still the lowest for what I wanted (full day float trip) it was a no brainer. Pat, a guide with 18+ years of experience, was patient, funny and reverent not only of the fly fishing discipline, but of the importance in maintaining the integrity of the fishery as well. I can truly state that he handled the fish caught with more care than most people use to handle babies! And catch fish we did! I had a tiny bit of fly fishing experience, and my 14 year old son had none. He had us landing trout within minutes of launching on the Madison River, and my son hooked a monster Rainbow Trout early on that could have won tournaments!
The equipment was top notch, the boat was clean and organized, the lunch was very good, and we fished until our arms fell off. Is it pricey to do a float trip? Yes. But compared to buying everything, or even renting everything, for two people for a whole day with expert instruction and local knowledge and guidance, how can you go wrong? Highly recommended activity for two or three adults, or an adult and interested teenager!

See more reviews
Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

While visiting the Yellowstone area from the Midwest, I was most looking forward to my guided fly fishing trip. It definitely lived up to my expectations. Making the reservation by phone was super easy, and finding the shop was fairly easy as well. It's conveniently right around the corner to the West entrance to Yellowstone park. I went on a half day trip with guide Patrick. It was refreshing to have someone cool, interesting and totally comfortable to talk to, and learn from. We did a quick lesson on land before we got in the boat on the Madison river. We fished for hours and Patrick made sure I caught a good number of fish to really make my learning experience worth while. I would definitely recommend Arricks fly shop to anyone interested in great fishing experience.