“Better for First-Time Riders or Children”

The Diamond P Ranch
More attraction details
Owner description: Guided horseback riding on beautiful mountain trails through the Gallatin National Forest in Yellowstone Country. Ride to the Continental Divide trail and see views of 3 states, Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming and Yellowstone National Park. Rides for all ages and sizes on sure footed and well mannered horses. Open Memorial Day weekend to Sept. 30 each year. 3 ride choices each day with one ride choice on Sunday. We have been guiding rides since 1953. It will be the highlight of your Yellowstone vacation.
Mission, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Better for First-Time Riders or Children”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Did the evening ride which is shorter than the day rides so doesn't go as far into the mountains. Total riding time was about 1 1/2 hours on a narrow switch-back trail in the woods so not a lot as far as views and unfortunately not a lot of animal sightings. The overall experience was fine; guides and staff were friendly, horses were safe and appeared well-cared for, but the pace was excruciatingly slow for the entire ride. I understood from their website that it was a "nose-to-tail" ride, but was hoping for a bit more action (maybe some brief trotting to liven things up?) as there were a few flat sections where this could be accomplished. If you are nervous around horses or totally inexperienced this lack of speed is a good thing, but if you are an experienced rider you might want to see if you can make other arrangements with them or a different outfitter. Also, I wouldn't advise getting there 30 minutes before your ride starts as they advise--maybe 5 or 10 minutes tops--as our group waited a full hour before we were actually on our horses (we got there the requested 30 minutes early and then were the last group to be saddled up). Oh, and wear something nice--they have a photographer who takes your photo at various times throughout saddling up and early in the ride. I didn't check out the photos afterwards as we were in a hurry to get to dinner so not sure about the pricing.

Visited July 2013

Island Park, Idaho
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“The Most Kid-Friendly Horse Back Riding!”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

This is the most kid-friendly horse back riding stable we have ever used! The staff spends lots of time reassuring the kids, fitting them to the right horses and saddles and giving them great riding instructions many times by another kid!
By the time they take off for the trail ride of their lives it is as if they have been riding their entire lives.
The best thing of all, are the smiles and grins when they come back.
Diamond P is the best!

Visited July 2013
Ione, California
“My Amazing Experience”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Hi my name is Molly, And I want to share my story about Diamond P Ranch with you. I go on vacation to West Yellowstone every year and every year I go riding at Diamond P Ranch. Last year (2012) I went on a trail ride with my dad and little brother. We were the only ones on a trail ride that day. We were up in the mountains and a huge Owl flew out over our heads. The horses got spooked and they all started jumping and running. I was scared and said I would never get back on a horse again. Well when I went there this year, I got on a horse I have never rode before. It was the owners personal horse. His name was Hurricane. I was so scared about what had happened last year that I couldn't do it. The owner (Rex Portmann) came and got me and I rode double with him back to the ranch. She we got back he told me to come back the next day and he will get me over my fear. So I did. I went back the next day and he took me out to the corral and showed me how to get the horse out of there. I got Doc. He is an amazing horse and I love him. Then he had me walk him on the trail and really bond with him. He showed me the pressure point on their leg that they use to shoe them. I fed the horse. I brushed him. And Rex taught me how to put the saddle on and the bit in there mouth. Then he took me on a ride. I got over my fears and I cant wait to go back and ride again. Rex is the most amazing man in the whole wide world. I wish I could just go back tomorrow!!! :) Its such a great place to take your family. I highly recommend the Diamond P Ranch.

Eden, Utah
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Excellent”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

As an experienced rider I am very picky about the quality of horses, guides, and the trail on rides. Diamond P Ranch offered the very best in every aspect of our day. Rex (the owner) was most hospitable. He grew up on the ranch (ask him to tell you the story of how the ranch came into his family). The horses were perfectly matched to each rider. There were a good many riders which they expertly handled quickly and most efficiently. They created three groups and off we went. Our guide was excellent, safe, and most personable, which was true of all of the employees that we encountered along the way. In a very short period of time we all felt like family. Cannot begin to say enough GOOD things about the Diamond P Ranch!

Apex, North Carolina
“Best Trail Ride Ever”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We had a terrific time riding horses at the Diamond P Ranch. We all remarked that it was our best trail ride ever. The horses were beautiful and gentle. The scenery and views were amazing. We got to see large fields of wildflowers on the mountainside and the wide open blue sky. We were riding during the last week of June. Our guide said that different flowers appear week to week so the landscape changes colors frequently.

I especially want to thank the guides at Diamond P Ranch for the special handling with my son. He is mildly autistic and can become agitated in new situations where he is unsure what to expect. All of their staff members were very accommodating and supportive of his needs. He ended up having a good time, and I even overhead him talking to his horse Bambi by the end of the ride!