“Knowledgeable guide, good rates.”

Yellowstone Alpen Guides
Ranked #4 of 20 Tours in West Yellowstone
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Yellowstone Alpen Guides has operated small group and private tours in Yellowstone for 29 years. Our naturalist/guides are experts in all things Yellowstone and are fun travel companions. They will help you experience the extraordinary wonders the Park has to offer during both winter and summer. Small group size guarantees you a personalized touch not found on most tours. A company with experienced long-term employees, we pay close attention to detail and quality and strive to be the premier guiding company in Yellowstone and the surrounding area. Join us as we explore this delicate ecosystem that is home to Old Faithful and two-thirds of the world’s geysers; where grizzly bears, wolves and other abundant wildlife roam freely. We cater to individuals, families with children and groups of all sizes. We have lodging and tour packages available; one call will take care of your Yellowstone vacation planning needs. Winter snowcoach tours operate daily to Old Faithful and the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. We offer the option of cross-country skiing or snowshoeing on our trips, and customized charters are also available. We provide shuttle services to guests staying at the Old Faithful Snow Lodge, and offer charter service to the North* (Mammoth/Gardiner) and South* (Jackson Hole) gates of the Park. Our snowcoaches are the classic, historical bombardiers, modernized for comfort and low emissions, made for over-snow travel. Summer tours include Lower Loop, Evening Wildlife Safaris, kayak tours and private customized tours to meet your desires. Whether you are a first time Yellowstone visitor or are returning for your next adventure, we can help plan your itinerary. Your trip can include things like wildlife watching, a day hike to a backcountry geyser basin, a photography safari, swimming in a thermally heated river, and seeing the sites that make Yellowstone America’s grandest Park. Alpen Guides believes it is important to protect and preserve our national treasures. We generously donate to the worthy Yellowstone Park Foundation, the West Yellowstone Foundation, the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Trout Unlimited, and many other organizations dedicated to protecting the environment.
Phoenix, Az
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Knowledgeable guide, good rates.”
Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

My wife and i were excited at the opportunity of seeing wolves in their natural environment. We booked a full day guided trek and let Alpen Guides know we hoped to get off the typical drive and pull off the road type tour. Our hope was to enjoy a great hike and see some treasures of the park. Scott met us at 7am and was very personable. He shared interesting history and facts of the park throughout the day and worked hard to try and get us within view of different wildlife. We did see Elk, Deer, Bison, a Coyote and Proghorn sheep. Everything but a wolf! In all fairness we couldn't blame Scott at all since we learned later that no one had sighted a wolf in the park for 4 days. (And there are people who spend every daylight hour searching for days on end).
I would not hesitate to recommend Alpen Guides. They were reasonably priced compared with other guides and communicated well in the reservation process.

Reading
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Yellowstone Alpen Guide - Evening safari”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

My husband and I had an amazing time with our guide John on this safari. We went on 2 September 2012 and was picked up at 1245. We spent 8 wonderful hours in the park. John was absolutely brilliant at spotting birds and animals. Also was extremely informative about the park. I would highly recommend this company and John as your guide!

Visited September 2012
Humble, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Yellowstone Alpen Guides - 5 Stars”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

August 18th and 21st 2012

There are vacations and then there are VACATIONS. There are memories and then there are MEMORIES. My wife Lisa, my sister Pat and my brother-in –law Fred were so excited to finally be making the trip to Yellowstone in August 2012 after having my sister Pat suggested the idea early 2011 and our biggest hope was to have a chance to see wildlife up close but not too close.

I selected Yellowstone Alpen Guides for the specific reason that Spring said we could be picked up at our resort which would mean Fred and I would get to see the park without having to share the driving duties in unfamiliar territory. I must say from the very beginning that Spring took an immediate interest in our group and answered all of our questions and provided all the necessary details that told me this was a company who knew success was in the details. Thank you Spring for making our planning so easy.

Arriving on Saturday August the 18th we managed to go from the Bozeman Airport to Big Sky Resort with only turning around twice. I must say the highway signs out of the airport pointing you to the major highway to get to Big Sky and Yellowstone were practically non-existent. Fred is a retired Department of Transportation Manager and even he was surprised at the lack of easy route signs to get us going in the right direction. A lot of improvement is needed here considering Bozeman is one of the major hubs for a lot of the visitors flying in to see Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons and Big Sky.

We selected the Lower Loop Tour for Sunday and the van to pick us up arrived on time as scheduled. As our guide came towards us to introduce herself, all you could see was this great big friendly smile. We were pleasantly surprised when Sarah our guide told us that our group was the only one going on the tour that day.

We were quickly on our way and immediately Sarah began telling us about Big Sky, Yellowstone, and how much she loved the work that she did every day. It was the joy of her life. You can tell when people enjoy their work because they want you to experience that same feeling. Like the Blues Brothers, she was on a mission from God to make our Yellowstone experience one that would last a life time.

Well by the time we had been on the road 15 minutes the title of Kenny Chesney’s song “You had me at Hello” ran through my mind. Sarah had our attention at hello. She wasn’t simply broadcasting facts about Big Sky or Yellowstone but she was interested in what we wanted to see. She was going to tailor our tour to meet our expectations and not follow a set path.

Since this was our first trip to YNP and we saw so much from the Lower Loop Tour and the Evening Wildlife Tour I am sure my comments will combine the two to capture the best moments.

Mammoth Hot Springs, Old Faithful, Norris Geyser Basin, and Fountain Paint Pots were amazing. The acidic thermals, mudpots, and geysers were a sight to see. Sarah knew just how long to stay at each location so that when we got to Old Faithful we only had to wait about 15 minutes before the grand display erupted. From there we went to Old Faithful Inn and sat out on the covered deck taking in the sights while we enjoyed a sumptuous box lunch prepared by Blue Moon Bakery. It was again perfect planning on Sarah’s part as Old Faithful was ready to please the next crowd and we joined right in for a 2nd time to watch one of nature’s wonder’s. Did you know that Yellowstone National Park ranks #3 on the list of the top Natural Wonders of North America behind Bay of Fundy and Niagara Falls? Sarah did.

My personal favorite stop was at the Grand Canyon Falls. Having been to the Grand Canyon in Arizona the added beauty of YNP’s roaring falls, cascading down from the mountain top was beyond description and simply magnificent. The evening wildlife tour far exceeded our expectations. The best part of this trip was that Sarah had her camera with her and was as excited as we were taking pictures of the wildlife. We saw Bison, Moose, Pronghorn Antelope, Osprey, Elk, Bighorn Sheep, Mule Deer, to name a few. No Bears or Coyotes but there were two very memorable events on the wildlife tour. Ok 3 – 1st we had the chance to observe a number of small groups of Pronghorn Antelope and Sarah was just as excited about getting pictures as we were. See commented that in all the years she has been at YNP this was the closest encounter she had had with this animal. 2nd was two guys in a thunderbird convertible driving right in the middle of a herd of about 30 Bison walking down the highway. They looked like Crosby and Nash of Crosby, Stills, and Nash fame just having a grand time mingling with the herd. Way too close for our comfort. 3rd was when we stopped along the road because there was already a group of people looking for mule deer on the side of the hills across the road. All of a sudden an Osprey swooped down into view and my sister Pat yelled out, Bald Eagle, Bald Eagle. What was so funny is that everyone immediately turned around and looked up because my sister had yelled out there was a Bald Eagle forgetting that they were trying to find the mule deer. From then on we had fun when we stopped to see what other people were looking at along the road trying to get Pat to do her now famous cry.

Sarah was the perfect hostess and guide. We have made a friend for life. She knows Yellowstone and you leave knowing you have not only seen one of the great parks of our country but you also know some key relevant facts about the park which will stay with you for a life time.

We all told Sarah that when we chose our next national park to visit that we would give her six months to study up on the park and she would be invited to be our personal tour guide. Yellowstone Alpen Guides are the best. Thank you Sarah for a memorable experience.

Phil and Lisa W / Fred and Pat E.
p.s. Sarah had my wife Lisa so pumped up and excited over taking pictures of the park that I did not take one single photograph this vacation. That is a first!! I had the wide-angle view the whole trip.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank John3_1600
Scottsdale, Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Hands On Experience With Park Experts”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I've worked with the Yellowstone Alpen Guides twice now - once in a group setting during the winter and once on a private tour in the summer. (Two of my favorite guides are Dave and John.) They know the park - that's their job and it's remarkable how much information they have. They are especially adept at spotting wildlife and taking you to secret spots that are off trail if you intend on hiking. They also love to answer questions, so if you are the inquisitive type it's fun to pick their brains. For your best experience, work closely with Spring (front office) to find a guide that matches your personality and needs as each one is different. She'll go the extra mile to make your experience a great one. Also, I highly recommend their bagged lunches - they have a great selection (including vegetarian) and are definitely some of the best sandwiches I've ever had. Whatever your experience level with the park is - Yellowstone Alpen Guides can take that visit to the next level with their in depth knowledge of the area.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Michael G
New York City, New York
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“boring”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We booked a morning kayak trip on hebgen lake. The launching point was pretty scenic but there wasnt anything to see once we got going. There was also so much seaweed around and my kayak kept getting stuck in it. We left early.

Visited August 2012