“Beautiful setting, food disappointing.”

Bar N Ranch Restaurant
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Bar N Ranch Restaurant has changed the epicurean landscape of southwestern Montana. Offering world-class cuisine to a colorful pallet of visitors has brought to our small mountain community a taste of something wonderful. In honoring the value of tradition while embracing bold and daring ideas, the Bar N has become a landmark restaurant Yellowstone Country. Full bar, exceptional wine list. Dinner & Breakfast Service. Advanced reservations are encouraged.
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I give them 5 for ambience, 3 ½ for food. The setting is stunning, the building beautiful in a refined, elegant western theme of wood, rough stone, and log furniture. Perhaps the building raised our expectations too high. Service was average.

All in our party of 4 adults ordered the New York strip steak with blue cheese crust. They all arrived quite underdone, even though I had asked the server for their definition for “medium rare” before 3 of us ordered them that way (the 4th person ordered his rare and was pleased. But he’d be happy if it was served raw.). We were tired and didn’t want to send them back, so ate from the edges and took the rest home. They tasted much better the next day after further cooking.

At $33 each, this Chicagoan was expecting a phenomenal steak. But the quality was not outstanding: I’ve had better at chain steak restaurants like Outback. Also, a half teaspoon sprinkle of melted blue cheese crumbles on top does not a “Blue Cheese crust” make. The cheese needs to be seared under a broiler until it MAKES A CRUST. It seemed like the chef had heard the term “blue cheese crust” without knowing what it really was.

Sides were unremarkable.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Located a mile or so out of town, the service and atmosphere was very nice. I didn't quite like the taste of the buffalo rib-eye, but I had to try it anyway just for the experience. Not much selection and the prices are on the high side but expected as well.

Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

I love coming to West Yellowstone and I do a couple times a year with and without my family. I came up to go fly fishing with a buddy this time and decided to go out of town to have dinner and drinks and maybe catch the rodeo. My friens and I were excited to eat at the bar n but were very disappointed. The server didn't have a clue about their wine list and when asked about the menu had to refer to the kitchen. It took an hour to get our app.and by this point we knew we weren't going to make the rodeo. The dinner was ok but over priced. I won't be going back.

Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

Many people had told us how great the food was at this place so we decided to try it out on a Sunday morning. We expected it to be above average in price but also expected the food to be as well... We were let down. I ordered an omelette that came with potatoes and I had 5 tiny pieces of spuds on my plate, so did the others. The omelette was good but no better than average. By looking at the place and the amount of money spent on decor I expected better quality food with a better than average presentation.

1  Thank Rew_Countrygirl
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We stayed at the Bar N Ranch and ate a dinner and 2 breakfasts at the Bar N Ranch restaurant. On each occasion the food was absolutely amazing - some of the best I've ever eaten. At the dinner to celebrate our daughter's birthday there was 8 of us and everyone loved what we ordered - filet mignon, salmon, bison etc. The restaurant was very busy (it doesn't seem to matter if it's weekend or weekday during July/August in Yellowstone NP, West Yellowstone town or at this restaurant) and the service was a bit slow. We didn't mind, except I ordered a glass of wine and it took over 45 minutes to arrive (the waitress said the bar staff were getting grumpy...?) - to be fair when she did bring it she said she wouldn't charge me for it which I appreciated. The restaurant also has an excellent wine list & great cocktails - huckleberry gin & tonic, huckleberry margarita to name a view. I also loved the setting in the restaurant - very well suited to the area with lots of taxidermy animals, funky light fixtures, tons of windows to look out on the great vistas. We also ate 2 fabulous breakfasts - again great food - omelettes, huckleberry pancakes - service was VERY spotty on 1 occasion, excellent at the second breakfast. I can't recommend this restaurant enough (despite the slightly less than stellar service at times) and wish I could go back. I am giving 4 stars instead of 5 because of the service.

1  Thank ShannonE848