“Needs a major renovation...”

Yellowstone Country Inn
“Needs a major renovation...”
Reviewed June 24, 2010

The reservation was made just a few days in advance, so there were very few hotels in West Yellowstone with vacancy. I now realize why this one had rooms left. Trash had been left in the hallway to the room, giving us a pretty bad first impression. The rooms weren't too much better.

The furniture looked like it came from the family's home; it was a bunch of random items just thrown together. A microwave sat on top of a part of an old kitchen counter, an interesting sight. There was no fridge. I was afraid to walk barefoot on the carpet, so I had to pull a pair of flip-flops from my bag. When exposed carpet tacks were found going into the bathroom, I was glad I did.

The sheets weren't changed during our stay, which was apparent due to the muddy shoeprint on one of the pillowcases that remained. We ended up cancelling the last few nights and moved into the park, which was a big relief. It had been a while since I stayed in a hotel with such bad management.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed September 29, 2009

We stayed here for one night before heading in to Yellowstone National Park. The rooms were a bit dated and the room felt old, but it worked for the night. Beds were decent. Bathroom needs some work. The shower kept kept changing temperature from burning hot to freezing cold which was really annoying. The hotel offered free wifi but the signal was too weak in our room. It was nice that we could park right outside our room door.

I'd probably give the hotel 2.5 rather than 3. It's good for a one-night stopover but probably wouldn't stay longer than that.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
California
Reviewed September 28, 2009

What a shame. I saw it online, next to a restaurant, photos were deceiving. Nothing went right, from a loss of reservations, to the room being a dump, the blinds were missing slats, so they didn't even close properly. The restaurant was out of business. No continental breakfast. No change, no copy machine. I had been excited to go there, the rate was lower than any other we'd stayed at.
I could not even unpack my bag. I did not want to sit anywhere. So many problems, we called the hotel across the street and had to pay more, but we were lucky to get any place at all on such short notice.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NativeWon

Travelers are raving about these West Yellowstone hotels

Bangkok
Reviewed September 8, 2009

Dirty room - even can of beers were left when we enter the room.
Poor service from front desk - very difficult to get by phone call before we arrive.
Lack of maintenance in everything!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank akegood
china
Reviewed August 11, 2009

I have stayed in lots of cheap hotels but this one is the worst.
I had water dripping through my ceiling for three days. One of the receptionists was really nice, but the rest did not really care. And the owner, well she is never there, and when she was, had no interest. I saw other guests complaining too.

Not only dirty but noisy, especially when a bus load of tourists turn up at 11pm, and get back on their bus at 7am.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kevinchina
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed August 7, 2009

If you are looking for fancy, go elsewhere. But if you want a comfortable place with good value this is it--you can tell by the number of savvy Europeans staying here. We were upgraded to a corner unit with a full kitchen, a living room and two bedrooms for no particular reason, and saved oodles of money by cooking our own meals. The furnishings are old, but the units are clean. The front desk is friendly, but not the most efficient (there is no front desk from about 10 to 7). The internet only works in the "lobby" and the swimming pool is broken (but lets face it, who goes to Yellowstone to use the hotel swimming pool?). There is an awesome coffee shop around the corner, otherwise skip West yellowstone, way too touristy.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family