“Family trip with our RV”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in West Yellowstone
Campfire Lodge Resort
Lexington, Oklahoma
“Family trip with our RV”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Our family of four spent the week of July 7-13 at Campfire Lodge. We used it as a home base for our Yellowstone vacation. We arrived early (check in is at 2pm) and were given the brush off by the office for nearly a half hour because they were busy with breakfast customers. I asked numerous times if we could drop our camper somewhere and go get groceries and we would come back and check in, but I was ignored each time. I finally went to look at the site that we were supposed to be in and it was empty, so I told the guy at the desk that we would go set up and come back and pay. If customer service was as it should be, he should have told me to do that. So, we set up and went into town to do some shopping and came back later to check in. He was much more accommodating then. We paid (in cash...they do not accept checks or credit cards) and were set for the week.

The site was nice, wooded and quiet, with electric, water, and sewer. The water/sewer is in the normal place on the drivers side of the camper, but the electric was on a tree about 30 feet away. We had extension cords, so it was not a big deal. The site had a nice wooden deck with picnic table and bench, which was really nice because it rained each evening and it kept the mud down in the camper.

The bathhouse was very nice, with tiled shower and toilet stalls. You are given a code to get in, so only those in the campground can use them. The laundry room is clean, but only has two washers and two dryers. Washers are $1.50, which I thought was a really good deal, but the dryers are $1.25 and you have to run them at least two times. There is no quarter machine, so if you are doing laundry after 8pm when the office closes, you better have your own quarters. I didn't have enough and we had to hang all our laundry on makeshift clothes lines overnight to get them to dry.

I was extremely disappointed with the fly shop. While they have a good stock of flies and fly tying material, they picked up on the fact that we were not from the area. We asked them what we needed and they filled a fly box with over $100 worth of flies, telling us we won't catch anything in the area without these. Then they told us how good fishing was on the Madison River (in front of the resort) and we shouldn't even fish in Yellowstone. We didn't catch a SINGLE fish on the Madison and after spending time that we could have used in Yellowstone and $100 on flies that I will never be able to use where we live, I was rather upset. I wouldn't go back to the fly shop. On the other hand, Jacklin's in West Yellowstone was an excellent fly shop that we used instead.

There is a restaurant on site, but we didn't eat there. It is open from 7-2 for breakfast and lunch.

While we were fairly happy with the campground and enjoyed the site we were in, we would not go back, simply because of the distance to Yellowstone. We didn't realize when we booked that it was 25 miles into West Yellowstone, and then another 14 miles to the Madison Junction where we turn to see the sites, so we were driving 40 miles one way to even get to see Yellowstone and by the fifth day this was a very daunting drive. For someone interested in fishing the Madison, boating on Lake Hebgen, or just want a quiet place to camp, this would be a good place.

Overall, we like the site and the wooded, quiet nature of the campground. I think the staff could use a lesson in customer service, and I would not trust the fly shop....they are just there to get your money and take advantage if they see you don't know the area. I would not use this campground if you are planning on going into Yellowstone each day....it is just too far out, There were some really nice campgrounds and motels in the town of West Yellowstone that were charming.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank horseteacher18

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Layton, Utah
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I must have passed this place dozens of times over the years of fly-fishing the Madison River below Quake Lake. I usually stayed in West Yellowstone because of the local cuisine and fly-shops until this year. I met Jim Slattery at a fly-tying Expo in Salt Lake City and he is the owner of Campfire Lodge along with his lovely wife Wendie. I booked one evening on my way to the Missouri River by Craig, Montana. I stayed in one of the small cabins with a double bed. Although not big, it was cozy. You can't go wrong with the location of this resort along the Madison River, beautiful setting. The bed was comfortable and the shower hot, what more can a fisherman want, except food. They do serve a fantastic breakfast in the morning that opens at 7am. I was fishing so did not eat lunch here, but if it's anything like the breakfast, I'm sure it was equally as delicious. Go for the pancakes, you get one, but it's all the carbs you'll need for the river. Coming back from the Missouri River I spent 2 more nights with a close fishing friend of mine in a cabin with 2 bouble beds, and kitchenette. Again, comfortable beds and hot shower after a long hard day of fishing. The cabin is very spacious and had a nice deck with a grill and picnic table is you choose to eat outside. The lodge does not serve dinner, you are on your own. All the folks who operate the lodge, which are only a half-dozen including the owners, are wonderful, friendly people. You can sit outside and possibly catch some wildlide. The day after the first night one of the RV campers pointed out a female Mt. Goat with her kids sitting high in the cliffs befind the lodge. This is a quiet cozy place if you are wanting to get away from the busy traffic of West Yellowstone and do some serious fly-fishing along the river. My friend and I were content on sipping some cold beers on the neck and relax after a long day on the river. I can't speak for the RV sites, only that it appeared to be a tight fit for the larger RV's because of the trees. Also, bring cash or equivalent, they do not accept plastic. Their cancellation policy is a little hard, best you keep your reservation because you could loose 1/2 your deposit for the cabin. However, their rates are better than anything you will find in West Yellowstone. I highly suggest you review their website for rental and cancellation policy so you will not be surprised.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
San Ramon, California
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Was up for a visit with friends, heard about this place and it's fantastic breakfast, drove an hour and was disappointed. The wait was ridiculous. We waited 1/2 hour for a table (not so bad) but then an hour for our eggs and toast! My bacon was so overdone it was inedible. The wait staff was pleasant and the view was beautiful but unless you're in the area, save your gas. Not worth a drive. Also, if you do go, get there early. Maybe your food won't take a hour!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rena0109
Cameron, Montana
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We have heard this is a great place for breakfast. We do live quite a ways away but decided to trek the 50 or so miles there. Nice setting right on the river. We waited about 1/2 hour for a table but were told that was nothing compared to the wait earlier in the morning. Menu is pretty predictable. Eggs, pancakes, omelets, french toast. Nothing out of the ordinary or special. The wait for breakfast after we ordered was 1 1/2 hours. The kitchen is very small with only one cook. The orders didn't come out at the same time but we were so hungry by then we didn't care. The breakfast's themselves were fine. Good not great. If you live close to this place it is probably worth it for the setting alone but definitely for us not worth the drive.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

My family and I had the pleasure of staying at the Campfire Lodge for a week. There were over 20 of us, so we used 4 RV sites, and Cabin 9. The cabin was cute, clean, and simple. The showers and laundry room were immaculate. We are at the cafe a couple times, and enjoyed friendly service and large portions. Can't wait to return!

• Stayed July 2012
Cresskill, New Jersey
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We visited Yellowstone National Park in August and stayed at the Campfire Lodge with our kids and friends. Of course, nature is beautiful, and you can sit on the riverbank, hike, etc. The cabins are small; some of them are old and in bad shape. The bathroom/shower is very small. Make sure you bring all your toiletries with you. The most important fact is that you must have enough cash! They don't accept credit cards, and you can withdraw only $200 at the ATM. I would advise to buy all your food in a supermarket on the way to the Campfire Lodge, so you can make something in the kitchen. The waiting line to have breakfast at the lodge is too long and it was very inconvenient. There is a very nice restaurant just 30 miles away :)) (don't remember the name, but it's the only one in the area).

Room Tip: Check them first before pay the full price.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank dqr2117
Palm Harbor, Florida
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We visited Yellowstone Park last week and stayed at the Campfire Lodge Resort.

The facility isn't a "lodge" as the name implies, but IS four different businesses at the same location. There's a campground with spaces for recreational vehicles with hookups and primitive campsites for those "roughing it" in tents. There's a small cafe that serves breakfast and lunch, a shop that caters primarily to fly fishermen, and several cabins of different sizes for rent.

I didn't think far enough in advance when planning for our Yellowstone trip and found that "in-park" lodging was sold out, even several months in advance, so I widened my search and found "The Campfire Lodge".

I prefer staying in a cabin instead of a hotel room, especially for an extended time. I looked at the different cabins on-line and selected Cabin # 12, primarily for the location, which is directly on the banks of the Madison River. Making a reservation was more challenging than anticipated, as the facility doesn't accept credit cards. I spoke to the owner who made a verbal reservation, and then I sent a check for 1/2 of the estimated amount. After the check was received and cleared, I received a confirmation post card instructing me that the remaining balance was payable IN CASH when I checked in. I don't know about you, but i really don't like carrying several hundred dollars in cash around, but I had no choice.

We arrived and were given directions to Cabin # 12, which really WAS in a lovely location, but the location was the cabin's strongest point.

Our cabin was OLD. I don't know exactly how old the cabin was, but I'd guess at least 40 years old, and it showed. it wasn't necessarily "rustic", more like "neglected". The carpet was threadbare and torn. The walls needed paint. Some of the light fixtures were missing shades. The wiring was so old it was still clad in FABRIC insulation, except where it had been spliced and taped with wads of electrical tape. One of the windows was cracked, and others looked like they'd been purchased at yard sales. I don't think the corner moldings had been cleaned in months. I think our cabin was originally a one-bedroom cabin but had been divided into two bedrooms to make it more suitable for families, but the two bedrooms were SMALL, and the partition dividing the cabin was built out of planking supported by brown-painted logs. The beds were old, too. I don't know if they were 40 years old, but it wouldn't surprise me. The bed pillows were absolutely AWFUL, as if the pillowcase contained a concrete block!

One of the reasons we appreciate a cabin is for the kitchen facilities, so we can make breakfast before we start our day, and perhaps fix sandwiches for the day's activities. The kitchen had a small 4-burner gas stove that worked well, but NO drip coffee maker. The coffee pot was a percolator that sat on the burner. A microwave oven was provided, but it was inconveniently located over the stove, OVER OUR HEADS!

Moving outside, the deck was rotted in places, so care was necessary to make sure that we didn't step in the wrong place and fall through the deck. A picnic table was provided, as were 4 cheap plastic resin chairs, which we DID take down to the riverfront and enjoy the beautiful scenery. The facility itself was secluded and quiet, but WAS about a 30-minute drive to the west entrance of Yellowstone Park.

We're not interested in fishing and so can't comment on the tackle store, but we DID try the small cafe for breakfast, as to our surprise, breakfast was EXCELLENT! Great food, great service, huge portions, reasonable prices (cash, of course)

Believe it or not, we're not picky.

We're both campers and former Scout leaders and have often slept on the ground, in a tent.

I think we might have been more comfortable doing so than in the beds in Cabin #12.

It's possible that the neglect we observed was because we visited at the end of the "tourist season", but I really think that the neglect was caused by an owner/manager who just wants the most amount of income with the least amount of expenses, and since they have your money IN CASH, IN ADVANCE...if you don't like the conditions, it's not like you can dispute the charges with your credit card provider.

Room Tip: Cabin #12 DOES have the best location, right on the river, but if I was returning to the Yellowstone...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
#14 of 36 in West Yellowstone
Holiday Inn R - West Yellowstone
Holiday Inn R - West Yellowstone
#7 of 39 in West Yellowstone

Been to Campfire Lodge Resort? Share your experiences!