“Worst place to stay in West Yellowstone (I hope)”
Review of Pony Express Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in West Yellowstone
Pony Express Motel
Ranked #34 of 39 Hotels in West Yellowstone
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 7, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here on the last leg of our vacation. We stayed mostly at Motel six before this, so the bar wasnt terribly high. Single queen bed with nothing special was 80 bucks. Where to start . . . the key broke in the door, the door was an interior type door and only had the twist lock, no deadbolt. There was a big gap under the door too. The lighting was a joke, the switches are just for fun. The real lighting is a hanging lamp shade plugged into the wall with a pull chain. The roof was sagging in on us, the heat/ac showed no signs of working. Tv was small with poor reception and few channels. Walls are thin, outlets stick out and are loose. There was a back door that didnt lock, just had a chain lock on the top, so anybody could open our door 4 inches and then just cut the chain and they would be in. Water tasted like it was poured out of a cardboard box. Furnished poorly. No phone, fridge, or microwave. Wouldnt recommend this place to a stray dog. Only good thing is the location. It was located in West Yellowstone, thats about it. Wont stay there again. If you go to yellowstone, especially in tourist season, make your reservations way ahead of time. Whatever you do, dont go to the Pony Express Inn if you can help it.

Room Tip: I would rather have slept on the roof with a sleeping bag than stay in the room we had.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bridger O
There are newer reviews for Pony Express Motel

Reviewed July 25, 2012

We stayed 1 night. The room was very basic, with furnitures and decoration very 60's ! but clean, quiet, confortable, large room smelling fresh, which is important for me. Free wifi but no breakfast,
No fridge, no microwave.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 18, 2012

You get a clean bed, bathroom, tv and fan. Not much but it's the cheapest place in town (at $90/night) and you get a clean room. It's within walking distance of the main street, shopping and restaurants. The walls are paper-thin so take some ear plugs or sleeping pills to block the sounds of any noisey neighbors (ah, ah, ah at midnight if you know what I mean).

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Bridgette D
Reviewed June 2, 2012

This is the second time we have stayed at the Pony Express in the RV park. We came back because of the fond memories we have of the trip. We had out of state family with us and we brought our Great Dane, Sophie. We had advance reservations for a bus tour of Yellowstone for the whole family but when we got into town we ran into a problem. My wife had made reservations with a doggy day care for Sophie months earlier, but the person had gone out of business so we had no place to leave Sophie and there was no way we could leave her locked up in the RV for 10 hours. I volunteered to be left behind and watch her but when we went in to cancel my tour ticked, Jeremy, the manager said he would be glad to take care of Sophie for us. What a fantastically nice gesture, Jeremy did a great job and as it turned out it was our last family vacation with my wife's mom, she passed away six months later.

We love the staff at the Pony Express they always go out of their way to ensure you have a great time. I can't say enough good things about them and the way they treat their customers. We are back in Yellowstone and happily staying at the Pony Express once again.

Room Tip: I have never stayed in the hotel , just the RV park.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank MissoulaMike
Reviewed September 25, 2011

You get a bed, a small tv with terrible reception and very few channels,( I want my ball games). The lighting is a joke, impossible to read or work puzzles. Price is expensive for what you get. Cannot in any good faith recommend this place.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank glkjrk
Reviewed August 31, 2011

If you want to look at Yellowstone by night from your hotel - choose Pony Express Motel
Just across the street from the park.
The hotel : Nothing fancy, but it's clean / no bugs. We stayed in the 2 bedroom unit. Nice large bathroom.
Ice - can be collected over by Brandin' Iron hotel (where you check in). Not a problem.
We would stay there again, if we come back to W. Yellowstone.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Spunk99
Reviewed August 16, 2011

We stayed here for four nights, the first two nights we stayed in a room that was across the street from YNP. The room was clean and very cozy had wooden walls, two rooms with queen size beds. Only one tv in the main room, no microwave or telephone oh yeah if you are from the south like me dont expect an air conditoner cause there are none in this motel. My two issues with this room was first the shower i am 5'6 and was taller than the shower head and had to bend down to take a shower, however the water stayed
nice and hot forever so i guess it
worked out :) anyway here is the biggest problem with this place the
first two nights my husband and i
felt like something was crawling on
us at night, in fact there was... we thought it was roaches the first night and my husband complained to the front desk. The maid came and sprayed while we were out that day. Second night same thing.... So hubby caught one and showed the front desk the next day we were told it was beatles. Ok so we switched rooms to the one we had originally wanted that had a small kitchen for our second two nights. This room wasnt as homey as the first room it looked just like a regular hotel room but with a small kitchen. It had a microwave, toaster, fridge, stove, sink, some dishes, dish towels and dish soap. I didnt have a issue with this room until i tried to use the stove, the baking sheet that was supplied didnt fit all the way in the oven so the door was cracked open while cooking and the knob seemed to be wrong i had it at 400 for 25 mins to cook dinner just like i always do at home and it way over cooked and burned our dinner we went out that night. Beware of the stove :) there was one mattress in this room that needed to be replaced it was very uncomfortable. Good things about this room was it was nice to sit at a table and enjoy a meal together without being in a resturant, it had a tub/shower, laundry area was across the street. Oh yeah on saturday evening we had our windows open and were trying to sleep but there was loud music coming from down the street.....
We ate breakfast every morning at the brandlin iron inn (thats where u check in for pony express) let me say this about the breakfast, there truly needs to be a sign in front of the toasters that reads: be curtious of others and dont touch their food if its in the toaster before yours. There was two morings where i had put a bagel in the toaster, walked over to get my children some cereal and some rude a** french guy got my bagel out and sat it on the counter and then proceeded to cook his toast. By the third day i stood right there and guarded my food while it cooked he still did this to other people. Other than that
breakfast was enjoyable.
I would stay here again if the beatle problem was fixed.

• Stayed: August 2011