“As Others Have Said--Beware”
Review of Golden West Motel

Golden West Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in West Yellowstone
Golden West Motel
Ranked #28 of 39 Hotels in West Yellowstone
Reviewed September 19, 2010

One thing I can say is that the owners did do a great job of helping me get a room. Kurt was very prompt on answering my e-mails. He was a rude when I called to give my credit card information. He told the woman who was actually helping me something smart alecky that I heard in the background.

When we arrived I am guessing it was Michelle working the office. She was pleasant, but when she pulled our reservation she said it was for 1 night, I reminded her it was 2 and she said, oh yeah. Nothing else, but oh yeah. I asked for recommendations for places to eat and she said Bullwinkles and The Outpost restaurants as being the best in the town. If they are the best I would hate to see the worst.

We stayed for 2 nights. The room was teeny-tiny. We measured and there was less than 18 inches on either side of a queen bed. The bathroom was nice sized. Noise from other rooms was horrible. When the rooms on either side of us took a shower or ran water it sounded like we were in the middle of rapids.

Kurt and Michelle, one big recommendation. The parking is terrible. Head in at an angle does not work. I consider myself a good driver and each time I left it took me some fanagling to get out of the spot without hitting the cars around me and the building behind me.

I think the room was significantly overpriced for what we got. If it were my property I would be in the $60-70 range max after labor day.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank DrFood

Reviewed August 24, 2009

Certainly not the Hilton but an extremely good price. Everything was clean, neat and service was excellent. No air conditioning but they provided a large fan as well as the ceiling fan which kep it quite comfortable. I would say this was one of those "hidden gems"!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2009

When we first drove up to the motel in order to retrieve our keys for the Condo we were frightened! The Motel from the outside looks very rough and dumpy. After driving for days we were not looking forward to a dingy Condo while traveling with Grandparents and a 7 year old. When we drove up to the (rough exterior) Condo Townhouse we were not sure either, but we opened the door to Condo #1 and WOW! It was newly remodeled, clean, spacious and a nice respite from the Park. Amongst the MANY dumpy motels in this town that look like a scene from the horror movie Vacancy, I found it to be nice and roomy. Nice TV, multi-level living, decent beds/bedding, wifi and full kitchen are a huge plus with a large group.
Some gentle suggestions however. I would suggest they provide more than a 3 cups of laundry soap and some fabric softener sheets (not an empty box with a dryer lint ball in it), more than 3 rolls of toilet paper, more than one garbage bag (since they expect you to bag your garbage) and actual soap in the liquid soap dispensers. For that price it needs to be well stocked <-- underlined. There is an AC unit that does only cool the main floor so if it were hot I would not have been happy as even on cool nights the upstairs was rather warm. The laundry took more than 3 cycles to dry and the fridge was too warm. The other thing is the couches were PAINFUL to sit on- not very accomadating to weary and active Park visitors. Bathrooms only upstairs and downstairs. They asked you to clean off the counters and table upon leaving which makes me wonder if they really clean the place out. Also of note- this is on the very edge of town so if you want night life prepare for a small walk.
So while the things I mentioned don't matter to all, they did make an impact on my group. Overall we were pleased with our stay, found it to be neatly designed, homey, clean and roomy. I would not choose to stay there again if in West Yellowstone, however. Rather opt for one of the hotels near the Grizzly Park, Kelly Inn I believe? Also a Wyndam over there too. But this place would be more than adequate for the typical visitor to yellowstone.
Also West Yellowstone is MUCH better that Gardiner for choice, size, energy, etc...

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank travelmiracle
Reviewed August 18, 2009

This was the only trip we had for the summer, so we wanted it to be a good one. When I called to confirm our reservation, it is like I offended someone. Sorry, we know getting anything at the last minute in Yellowstone, is near impossible...especially on a weekend!
The owner checked us in, with little social interaction, just give me your money, and leave attitude. Meanwhile, the extra towels we requested at reservation time, were being ran out to the room by his wife. Great planning ahead...were we that important of a customer? The next day they forgot the extra towels again, so we just made due.
We seen on their website, they have patio, w/ BBQ grill to use. Totally not what we were thinking, right out their backdoor. What a mess! We cleaned it first, then used it...ONLY because we had bought our meat, and didn't want it to go bad.
Room was clean, but the beds are uncomfortable. Thin walls, so you heard the next door neighbors TV, or them talking. Very frustrating when you have to get up early, and drive the next day! If I treated my customers where I work like this, I wouldn't have a job!!!
I guess next time I'll listen to my husband...you get what you pay for!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank snowmoons
Reviewed August 15, 2009

My parents, aunt, and I (4 adults) stayed in the "Majestic Mountains Retreat" condo offered by the Golden West Motel (about 2 blocks from the motel on the main road in from the west). The condo was very clean and the bathrooms were nice. It was great to be able to make dinner and sit outside in the early evening and watch the sunset. The bbq was clean and worked fine. My only small complaint is that the towels and sheets are washed in the small washer in the condo and are not the type of white sheets and towels that are cleaned by a service (i.e. w/ bleach). Having said that the beds and towels seemed clean and the house itself was spotless. I would highly recommend this condo, especially for a group of 3 or more.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 17, 2009

We just returned from a trip to Yellowstone and found the Golden West Motel to be a great place. The room was large, the beds comfortable and the bathroom clean. We got a good night's sleep after a long day in the park.

Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 12, 2009

Had a great snowmobile vacation in west. Our room was clean and smelled fresh. Staff was helpful with extra requests we had from extra towels to allowing us to work on a damaged sled in there shop.. And was able to sleep in without the bother or a housekeeping staff in the hallway talking or listening to a vaccum at 8 am next door! Yea we all know what I'm talking about!
I hope to visit west again and would stay at the Golden West and be comfortable there.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends