New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #3 of 38 Hotels in West Yellowstone
Missoula, Montana
“Close, comfy and cozy!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

My wife, 10mo old daughter, and I made our first visit to Yellowstone NP this past September (2012). I always read a lot of reviews so tried to book the Alpine Motel in West Yellowstone, as it's ranked #1 on Trip Advisor. They were full, so we went with #2, the Evergreen.

I made reservations by phone about 3 weeks in advance and paid the non-refundable deposit by CC (the non-refundable deposit may be a negative for some). I would suggest making reservations much earlier if you're going during peak season, perhaps 2-3 months early at least during the months of May-August. We stayed the last week in peak season, so it wasn't very busy. Even so, the price is very reasonable.

We were so delighted when we arrived at the Evergreen Motel. We came in very late in the evening on the day of our check in, which was after business office hours, so didn't meet the staff, but we had called ahead (important!) and they left a key for us and everything went smoothly. The room was extremely homey. The exterior was cute (the parking, like everything else here, is very small. You might find it annoying if you have one of those humungous SUVs), and the interior was even more adorable. The wood frame bed, the small table, the decor--everything was very simple, but very nice, albeit a little cheesy perhaps.

The room was also very comfortable. The bed was a nice firmness, there were a variety of pillows, a small refrigerator (which is great when you have food packed for a trek through the park) and the bathroom was perfectly adequate. All that being said, many people will find the rooms small...very small. We got the single queen bed with no kitchenette. It was plenty big enough for two adults, and we even set up our daughter's play yard without issue. It was tight, but it worked. We heard no other noise from the neighboring guests the entire time we were there, even though the parking lot was rather full.

All in all, the Evergreen was a wonderful motel that I'm glad we had the fortune to experience. At just over a mile to the west entrance of the park, it was convenient, too! We would definitely stay here again and would not hesitate to recommend the Evergreen to friends.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be equal. Noise was not an issue anywhere in the motel, and it's so small, th...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank David E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Whangarei, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

We booked this cos it was the cheapest we could find near to Yellowstone. Right on the border by the West entrance it was perfect as we did not want to pay more to stay inside the park (and I believe the lodges are closed in Autumn as well). We didn't expect any more than standard motel service but boy were we wrong. It was awesome!! All the rooms are really cute and very fitting with the location (bedspreads with animals on and big wooden furniture and evergreen leaves etc etc). Spotlessly clean. Comfiest bed ever! Coffee ans cookies on arrival. Coffee in the morning. The lovely lady on the desk helped me with some personal queries as well as photocopying hiking routes for us out of their comprehensive file. Cannot fault this place! The only one thing that would improve it would be breakfast but then they would have to charge more... There was a fridge in the room so we kept our own food in there & they did give me bucket loads of coffee in the morning!
Oh and finally...I left my phone charger there. They found it and posted it on to me and did not ask for the postage back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Bexen
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

The Evergreen is a small yet spacious feeling motel. We stayed for 3 nights and were we glad we did ! This was the first place on our traveling vacation that we stayed. We got there abit later than expected, but we called ahead to let them know and the owner waited up for us. The room was charming and immaculate yet had enough outlets so we could charge all the phones, pads,batteries etc. (Oh there was a flat screen TV there also - so-if you really wanted it, it was there.) The.homemade Huckleberry candy was yummy and the directions to places to eat were REALLY appreciated! The park is about 3 minutes away. It was also pleasantly affordable. Perfect way to start our adventure.

Room Tip: We never heard the "street noise" and we stayed in room 3.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank jhb1720
EvergreenMotel, Owner at Evergreen Motel, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you so much for staying with us!

We are very pleased to read that you had a nice experience staying with us! It's important to hear feedback for both future travelers and Logan and I. We are mostly happy that you found your room "immaculate". I know I've said it before, but to me, that is the most important factor when choosing a place to stay!

I also appreciate that you mentioned the "street noise" was not a problem for you. Everyone is different and for some they cannot sleep unless it is completely silent while others must have a bit of noise to feel comfortable. Either way, it is good to hear another side of the "street noise" story.

Thanks again!
Appomattox, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

Motels in West Yellowstone are unbelievably expensive but we heard about the Evergreen from friends. Our room was actually too small for two beds but we worked around that. We were impressed with how clean our room was. The staff is very friendly and helpful plus Huckleberry coffee and tiny muffins are available in the small lobby each morning. For West Yellowstone this was by far the best deal and I highly recommend it. Incidentally, go to the Woodside Bakery first thing in the mornings and get their half-price day old specials on to-die-for cinnamon rolls and other wicked goodies.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

1 Thank egnem2
Thank you for writing your review of the Evergreen and thank you to your friends for their recommendation!

Because West Yellowstone is such a popular gate to Yellowstone there are many hotels/motels/ to choose from. We appreciate any referral of us because word of mouth continues to be one of the best forms of marketing! We are THE least expensive place in town right now and we feel it's a bargain as well.

Thanks again for choosing to stay with us and hopefully we'll see and your friends again sometime!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

This place was hands down the best deal in West Yellowstone. We went in October, so it's not summer season, but still... It's literally a 3 minute drive to the park entrance, so location is hands down a 5/5. The front desk staff (owners) are super friendly, and there's free cookies, coffee and hot chocolate in their front office. The room was pretty small, but spotless clean. There was a hand written note on the desk welcoming us to Yellowstone and the Evergreen, which was a nice touch. We stayed in a room with just a microwave and a mini fridge, which is nice to keep drinks cold!

The reason this place doesn't get a 5/5 for me was the bed. Maybe it was our room (4), but our bed was not comfortable at all! It felt like one of those super stiff mattresses from the 80's, which feels like a stiff board under about 50 springs. Sounded that way too. But others have said how comfortable their bed was, so maybe it's just the room? Bad luck? I see Sara replies to most of the comments here, so maybe she has an explanation.. Perhaps they are in the process of upgrading beds and that one hasn't been changed yet.

Overall, the place as a whole was easily worth our stay, but my wife and I both woke up stiff from that mattress.

I would certainly stay here again, (if I could get a different room to see if it was just that room).

Room Tip: Maybe see if you can snag a room other than room 4? Like I said, I'm not sure if it was just my...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SmokeyBearVII
Thank you for staying with us and for writing these nice comments about us!

We do read every review written about us and we feel it's our responsibility and useful to readers that we respond.

We also are glad that you found us to be the best price in Yellowstone! We agree and even though we are a budget motel, we try to give a little extra where we can.

I must say I'm surprised to hear that your found your bed uncomfortable. One thing we have come to understand, however, is that everyone like something different. Some like firm, like myself, and others can't sleep unless it's very soft. As a motel, where we obviously cannot change beds upon a guests preference, we have to find a middle ground. I will say that mattress is brand new. The oldest mattress we have on this property is 3 yrs old and they are all high quality Serta hospitality sets. There are no boards in between and they are definitely not from the 80's! Unfortunately, all of our mattresses are the same so if you didn't like this one, I don't know that you would find another room any better. But we do welcome you back to try them and maybe you would feel differently!

Thank you and I do hope you try us again!
Dillon, Montana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

This is a small (about 17 unit) motel where the owners do their very best to make it the best it can be. I was so impressed by how clean the room was that I actually ran my finger over the tops of mirrors and decorations for dust and came up empty! I wished I could have crawled into the bed without disturbing it but I took the personalized note off the pillows and found quality sheets, pillows and one of the most comfortable mattresses ever. A peeled log bed, chair, and table made it seem like an expensive theme room at a resort with decorations that fit everywhere. Rooms are on the small side but my queen room was great for one person on an overnight stay. Others at my conference spent around $100 for run of the mill rooms without the charm that Sara showed when I checked in and they missed out on cookies, huckleberry taffy, and evergreen scented soap. I would plan a visit to Yellowstone around a vacancy.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Marshall P
Thank you for taking your time to write us this review!

We are so glad that you found us to be a better value than a well know name brand hotel in town! We are not like chain hotels when it comes to size and amenities but we do try to make up for that in the price and in the service.

We're so glad that you were satisfied with our cleanliness. With all these cleanliness comments it sounds like our housekeeper is due for a bonus! :)

Come back and see us in the Spring sometime! It's our favorite season out here!
Provo, Utah, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

What a wonderful place! Logan and Sara, owners of the Evergreen, are so much more personable and attentive than a chain, travelers should stay there just for that special touch. We too got a hand-written note welcoming us, some huckleberry taffy, homemade cookies and advice on where to eat. The room was great - a little apartment with two TVs, stocked kitchen, comfy bed and lush towels. It was cold outside but warm and cozy inside. We were within walking distance of restaurants, a supermarket and shopping. We will be back and we won't look any farther than the Evergreen.

Room Tip: We liked our corner room - #16, away from the road.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple