“Snowcoach to Yellowstone, Old Faithful”

Yellowstone Tour Guides - Day Trips
Ranked #10 of 20 Tours in West Yellowstone
Reviewed January 29, 2013

A great way to see Yellowstone in the winter and the only way to get into the park is on a snowcoach run by Xterra (or alternate providers). You stay on the actual road that isn't really plowed (hence the restrictions of wheeled vehicles). After stopping at a few picturesque sights you arrive at the Snow Lodge. Very adequate, We stayed in the Western Cabins which were comfortable but sparse. Beds were a bit hard but restful. Take the walk around Geiser Basin (.7 miles) at night. You will see wildlife but be cautious. We came upon a heard of bison about 15 feet away. As long as you don't startle them they pretty much leave you alone. A fun trip.

There are newer reviews for Yellowstone Tour Guides - Day Trips

Reviewed November 27, 2012

Yellowstone and Grand Tetons are ideal locations for a photo tour or workshop.

If you ask me Yellowstone is too big to cover in a few days especially if you are a photographer. I do not recommend it as a day trip.

If you are a serious photographer you need to spend time with each interesting subject.

I could spend a week in Lamar or Hayden Valley alone.

When I was looing a guide for photo tours or photo workshops I did a extensive search. I recommend Slonina Nature Photography.

I would also recommend you visit Grand Tetons its is really beautiful and loaded with wildlife. The distance between yellowstone and grand tetons is about 1-3 hours.

I would look for a photo guide that knows the wildlife and landscape inside out. Most guides are good with one and not the other. Another option would be to try one of the nearby state or national forests.

Good luck I hope you have fun on your trip

Reviewed March 29, 2012

I sensed something at my side and slightly to my rear, with neck hairs standing on end I slowly turned (Want to know more? then read on)

After arriving in Chicago it was just a small flight to Denver.
We choose Dial a Flight, and as defined under US law they in turn booked us in for the first night at The Red Lion Hotel in downtown Denver. What a nightmare, try finding this place in the dark,

Next morning our fly drive began in earnest with a short drive to Cheyenne, and Laramie in Wyoming where we visited "Fort Laramie" via the city of Wheatland, we then headed for South Dakota. A number of days was spent in this region all with some great places to visit and even better memories, place such as "Hot Springs" and the Mammoth Site, (not to be confused with "Hot Springs" in Yellowstone). a drive north through Pine Ridge Indian Reservation and Wounded Knee brought us to "The Badlands" continuing north through "Scenic" to "Wall" a smashing little town with "Wall Drug" not to be missed. On to Rapid City from here we were able to take in the sites of "Mount Rushmore, Wind Cave National, Park, Custer State Park, and Crazy Horse Memorial,"

Heading north we came across the legendary "Deadwood" the resting place of the  famous "Wild Bill Hickock" and "Annie Oakley" the Saloon where Hickock was murdered
put on a great evenings music and entertainment and is a must for any visitor, just lookout for the number "10". Then it was on to "Belle Fourche" and its shops before entering Wyoming again and a visit to the famous "Devils Tower"

Continuing along interstate ninety we soon came upon our fist detour. our original plan was to traverse the Beartooth Pass and Highway, however this section of road was still undergoing re-construction and forced us to make a detour along a very good and colourful scenic byway, we took highway 14 "Chief Joseph Scenic Byway" where the road split  we continued along 14a through "Medicine Wheel Passage" and into "Yellowstone"

"I have always been told that to see Yellowstone at its best is to see it when the snow is falling, It may have been fate of just sheer luck but we arrived just as the first snows of the Fall began, and never, have I seen such beautiful and colourful scenery not only in Yellowstone but throughout our complete journey

Our journey through "Yellowstone" continued as the snow fell gently, the visit to "Old Faithful" and "Mammoth Hot Springs" was made with a backdrop of pure  white snow often giving the impression of a Christmas setting, with many photos giving a Christmas Card look

"Yellowstone Visitor Centre" the centre offers a variety of visitor activity's and refreshment, if your lucky you may even be entertained by George a member of the  staff at the Cafe he likes nothing better than a snowball fight, The centre is also surrounded by a number of well known Geysers that are active and worth visiting, Giantess Geyser, Beehive Geyser, Castle Geyser and Grand Geyser.

"Throughout our drive in Yellowstone the scenery changed dramatically, we came across bubbling rivers emitting steam that was reminiscent of a sauna, bubbling rock pools that would suddenly erupt with a whoosh and a shower forcing a quick retreat, and with Elk, Deer, Moose and Buffalo featuring every step of the way it was only a matter of time before the first alarming encounter, Whilst filming a bubbling rock pool which suddenly erupted forcing a quick step back a step or two, I failed at first to notice wild gesticulation and arm waving coming form the car some 300 feet away, its was then I sensed something at my side and slightly to my rear, with neck hairs standing on end I slowly turned expecting a bear but hoping against hope for something timid, I came face to face my first ever Wolf !, I have always been told not to run in this situation, well all I can say to anyone saying that is "you try and not run" with a growl and fangs bared showing fantastic white teeth, the drama ended when he decided to run first, thank you lord."

"Moose Falls" was our first stop heading south, situated just inside the south entrance
there is a small parking area and the falls themselves are accessible with care. We continued to follow the "Snake River" traversing "The John D Rockefeller Highway".
This afforded some great photography as we approached the South Entrance leading to "Jackson"

Soon it was time to leave Yellowstone, with its avenues of snow tinged spruce trees soon giving way to the mountainous and hot plains of Wyoming once more as we headed south, but not before reaching "Jackson", this pretty little town or is it a city? along with  "Jackson Hole" is a haven of activity with  "The Grand Teton" mountain range visible behind" Jenny Lake" making a fascinating backdrop and is also a fantastic
place for  Winter Sports of every type.

10  Thank AlbyB-12
Reviewed August 3, 2011

I cannot say enough good things about Yellowstone Park's half-day Yellow Bus "Picture Perfect Photo Safari Tour." It was a delightful experience for every member of our family. The early-morning tour was conducted by an experienced guide and photographer, Ms. Prange, who drove the bus, provided tips on photography, told great stories about the park, and took us to the right spots at the right time to get wonderful photos. We photographed bison, yellow marmots, blue grouse, chipmunks, an osprey nest, steamy ponds, grand lake and mountain scenery, and the magnificent Lower Falls of the Yellowstone, just at the right time to capture its rainbow on film. Along the way, we stopped for blueberry muffins, hot tea, and coffee. To top it off, we rode a beautifully restored 1930's yellow bus with the top down. We have great photos and great memories!

9  Thank HappyTrails16
Reviewed June 12, 2011

We took a tour of the upper loop from West Yellowstone with Yellowstone Tour Guides. We had already been to Mamouth Hot springs, so we told the guide to pass that location as we wanted to spend more time in Lamar valley in the hope of seeing wolves. I was under the impression that we would be in the valley around 6pm and stay awhile,. We got to valley at 4pm and just drove right through and turned around and drove out of the valley when we did not see any animals.. The Roosevelt Lodge was closed so we could not eat there. We only made a few stops and only got 5-10 minutes to get out off the van to take pictures of different waterfalls, the petrifed tree and the mountains on Dunraven pass.. At Tower Falls where they have a general store to get something to eat. We only got 25 minutes to walk down to the fall and get something to eat, which really upset me, since we did not stop at the Lodge to take the usual hour to eat. I would have enjoyed more time at the fall area and took my time in the store to get a bite to eat. When I complained about being rushed and getting to the valley to early. The guide said that since we did not take time at Mamouth and at the Lodge to eat it took us to the valley early and made some other excuses about the short duration of the tour. Although the guide did give us some interesting facts, he and his trainee spent most of the time talking with each other about skiing and what the trainee should say on the tour. I would not recommed this company for touring. Try someone else.

5  Thank sheriD0596