“The Gingerbread House”

The Gingerbread House and Karen's Cabins
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Virginia City
The Gingerbread House and Karen's Cabins
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We found this property on line and wanted to find something cute to stay in Virginia City and we found it. The house is amazing. The details are just fantastic from the outside structure, beautiful garden, paint, and beautiful decorations. Our host, Karen, was fantastic as well. She greeted us and poured us some wine. She made our dinner reservations and told us about the town and the house. The town is super small and walkable, so this is a perfect location.
The bathroom is a shared bathroom for the two rooms upstairs. But it is huge and luxurious. She prepared us an excellent breakfast that was ready for whenever we got up.
The only downfall was the big bed upstairs was a bit creaky for my husband to sleep. I didn't get a good sleep either but I don't blame the bed. However I was able to relax in her living room and read up on Virginia City history. The price seemed a bit high, although I actually don't know if it is the going rate in this famous little historical town.

Room Tip: I think the main house is perfect if you are in one party (two rooms). If not, I probably wouldn...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rpstory
Karen F, Owner at The Gingerbread House and Karen's Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Dear Claudia: thank you for your review. I can't remember which room you and your husband
stayed in. Was it the twin bed room? I tried all the beds and none of them squeak but the
twin bed frames are not as ridged as the larger queen bed frame. Could that have been the
problem. Gosh, I wish you would have pointed that out while you were here as it would help me
identify the problem better and then fix it. I am glad that you otherwise enjoyed your stay. I know that I enjoyed you all as guests.
Take care, Karen

Reviewed June 6, 2013

A hidden gem in a wonderful, historic part of Montana! Virginia City and surrounding area is a great place to explore, especially for history buffs. Also close to great fishing spots along the Madison River. The decorating job Karen has done is marvelous! Love the bathroom in the main house - perfect for a relaxing bath. The bed was so comfortable, it was hard to get up in the morning. Karen's hospitality was so welcoming - appetizers and drinks ion the porch in the afternoon and deluxe continental breakfast to start the day.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marsha K
Karen F, Owner at The Gingerbread House and Karen's Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2013

Dear Marsha: I am so glad you enjoyed your stay. You, your husband and myself have similar ideas on what is important in life. It was good to have you as a guest and visit with you a bit.
Hope to see you again sometime. Karen

Reviewed October 2, 2012

We visited in August and stayed in the new cabin. Fresh, clean, comfortable and great breakfast. Karen was also very helpful re some business we needed to conduct in the area. We were able to walk to see the local melodrama which was quite well done and to visit the great courthouse nearby. Clean and extremely well maintained. Wendy

3  Thank wendy m
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Karen makes you feel at home from the second you arrive! There are only 2 rooms to rent in the house so it keeps its quality. The bathroom is what you would expect to find in the priciest mansions! The tub is huge! Unfortunately, the wasn't enough hot water for 2 baths right in a row. The back porch is the spot! We spent hours out there:) The town is quaint.

Room Tip: Either room in the house is good, one has a queen bed, the other 2 twins.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Truelykaden
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We stayed in the Bickford Cabin when visiting Virginia City. Hostess was very knowledgable and gave a wealth of information about the town. Cabin was beautifully appointed, and breakfast was served by stocking the small kitchen with a wealth of goodies. Location was great, in easy walking distance of the downtown. Although we did not stay in the house, it was beautifully painted, and the flowers in the gardens were lovely. I'd highly recommend this property to anyone visiting Virginia City.

2  Thank Jan C
Reviewed August 9, 2012

The Gingerbread House is a charming restored Victorian with 2 spacious bedrooms and a large elegant bathroom, with oversized shower and luxurious bathtub. Karen, the owner/manager, loves telling the history of the house and town. Her personal touch adds to the charm. Karen also rents two adjoining cabins in her backyard, each with bath and small kitchen. We stayed in Calamity Jane's, the larger one, and loved the bright paneled walls, decor, bright reading lights, and the noise of the birds in the morning. The Victorian and cabins are graced with a large landscaped yard with comfortable seating areas, cool shade, and with bird feeders in almost every tree.... What a delight staying here.

5  Thank sunvalleysarah

Been to The Gingerbread House and Karen's Cabins? Share your experiences!