“Good food”

Hamilton Public House
Ranked #3 of 4 Restaurants in Victor
Cuisines: American
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Recommended to us as a great place to get Fish & Chips by the owner of the B&B we were staying at. She was right. Ordered a 1/2 portion (4 oz. rather than 8 oz.) and was very satisfied. Fish was flaky and cooked just right. Chips were crisp and not greasy. Loved the fact that there was malt vinegar on the table. A pint of Guinness and I was fat and happy.

Reviewed April 25, 2014

The Hamilton had very good food for many years. From the time they opened, circa 1993-94, to 2009, we could get a good-quality plate of fish and chips. A large pile of "chips" with flaky fish on top.

Then the food declined, with the fish being greasy, and the pub being dirty, and the wait staff snippy or despondent. We didn't go there at all for almost 6 years.

In March 2014, we decided on a whim to eat there one evening and were surprised to find good quality food and a young cheerful waitress. We thought that the quality had improved since our last visit, and were optimistic about future visits.

So yesterday evening, we drove to the pub for dinner and ordered fish and chips. I ordered a small salad, too. There were two or three other couples there, but it was very light traffic. The long-time waitress, who was the only person present working the bar and both dining rooms, was unfriendly and looked unhappy. A cook hunkered near the deep fat fryer, because we heard it gurgle every now and then.

The salad was the worst we've ever seen. Wilted ends of leaf lettuce, a slice of tomato, six croutons. I tried one bite and it was awful. My fish was hard, gray and greasy. My husband ate a quarter of his fish and took the rest home to the dogs. The fries were the best thing on the plate, and there were not many of them.

Needless to say, we will not be going back.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

Wandering around Montana, I happened upon the Hamilton Public House in Victor. It seemed an odd place to find a Scottish pub, but I was hungry enough to take a chance. And I'm glad that I did. The place is warm and comfortable, and the food is good. I had the pasty with mashed potatoes and brown gravy. There's a lunch that will stick to your ribs, and it was tasty too! There's a reasonable selection of other meals, although I didn't try them.
The pub also has quite a selection of scotch and good beer. Too early in the day for me, but it would be fun to try out the libations.
The bar/dining area is small and comfortable but not fancy. Just the place for a drink or two and some pub grub. A great way to relax on a cold winter's evening.
Keep in mind that It's a pub and leave the kids at home.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

They are known for their fish and chips, which did not disappoint. Service was fast and the prices are good.

Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

The fish and chips were really good and the calamari is exceptional. We were a large group and the server and kitchen staff did an excellent job of keeping our beer glasses full and getting our order out in a reasonable amount if time.