“A great place to recharge the batteries”
Review of Big Trout Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Twin Bridges
Big Trout Ranch
Reviewed August 4, 2009

This was our second stay at Big Trout Ranch and we have stayed both times in the vintage cabin. For our needs it is perfect, and provides a sense of relaxation not easily found in todays world. The view is spectacular and the wildlife abundant.

The owners are very welcoming and friendly. The location is really off the beaten path, but not too far from town if anything is needed. Good access to the Beaverhead, Big Hole, and Ruby for some of Montana's famous trout.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 1, 2007

Wanted to have a trip for me, my 3 brothers, and our Dad. Settled on Montana because an old friend has guide service out there. Boy did we hit the jackpot! Brad (our guide, of Anderson & Platt Fly Fishing) recommended Big Trout. The Kamloops house was perfect for our family. We each had our own room, the kitchen was adequately sized, it was clean, had a grill, and the views were extraordinary. The house is surrounded by alfalfa fields and we saw all sorts of wildlife. We saw antelope at the end of the driveway and counted 61 deer out back one night will preparing the elk burgers supplied by our host the Osbornes. Don't expect access to nightlife. There's a bar at the house, but it's a 20-25 minute drive to the closest town. If you want some peace and quiet, beautiful scenery, fine hospitality, and great fishing, you can't beat Big Trout Ranch and Anderson&Platt Fly fishing.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed March 11, 2007

Because I like all the grandeur of Montana that I can get right at my doorstep, and immaculate silence in which to enjoy it, on my fishing trips to Dillon I’ve been a repeat visitor to the Big Trout Ranch, owned and operated by the husband and wife team John and Cynthia Osborne.

The Osbornes have river frontage along the Beaverhead, and two rich ponds full of rainbows, but I also like guided day-long floats on the Big Hole and the Beaverhead, and each year I’ve relied on the Osbornes’ experience in making arrangements for these excursions beyond their ranch. Their tactful suggestions and variety of small courtesies have been of great value.

For accommodations, Big Trout Ranch has two family-size homes as well as a small creek-side cabin that is appropriate for one sportsman or a couple. I believe the nightly cost of the cabin is comparable to a hotel room in Dillon, despite a sanctuary and scenery that is priceless. On my most recent visit in the fall of 2006, I stayed in the Big Brown home and as usual found the accommodations clean and tidy.

For exceptionally friendly hosts, superb fishing, and the therapy of the open Montana spaces, I highly recommend the Big Trout Ranch.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed February 14, 2007

As a seasoned fly fisherman with over 45 years of flyfishing experience, I was fortunate to be recommended by Tim Tollett at Frontier Angler's in Dillon to fish this gorgeous ranch located about 15 miles outside of Dillon. I have had the opportunity to avail myself of the great accomodations on the Ranch to include the Vintage Log Cabin and the Big Brown home. Both these venues afford easy access to two (2) great stillwater fisheries on the Ranch property. The main pond (7-8 acres) is located within easy walking distance from the Log Cabin and affords unmatched pond fishing for even the less experienced angler. The owner's Mr. & Mrs. John Osborne carefully mange both fisheries to include annual stocking of fish and related improvements to the fishery during the season. Experienced angler's can consistently release 30-50 fish per day on this pond using normal lake patterns to include midges, callibaetis & small leaches. It is not typical to have a slow day on this pond! Most of the fish range from 1-3 lb on the average. The second fishery is located near the Big Brown home. It a smaller pond which fishes well with not more than 2 anglers at a time. However, these fish see relatively little pressure and are not particularly difficult to catch. These fish are larger in size than the main pond, running between 2-3+ pounds. My wife, Pam has released several beautiful rainbows here in the 3 lb range! We highly recommend this Ranch. You will not be dissapointed!

Stayed: September 2006
Reviewed June 29, 2006

My little family of 3, 2 people and 1 dog, spent 2 weeks in the Vintage Cabin at Big Trout last month. What a gorgeous spot in Montana! Our (tiny) cabin had most of the comforts of home and is decorated with taste and care. We could stroll to the stream just yards away, sit on the porch and watch deer, wild fowl, even a mink go about their business...our hosts allowed us to fish on their property and even lent us the fishing gear (no catches other than a bit of grass, but what fun!). John and Cynthia Osborne are delightful hosts and very attentive to our needs, fresh towels, ice, even trout that John caught and shared with us...

I also enjoyed visiting La Cense Montana, an 80,000 acre working ranch in Dillon that has created a unique Natural Horsemanship program - I watched several classes being held in a huge indoor arena.

Local attractions are the fantastic parks and hiking trails, Twin Bridges airshow (over 50 vintage private planes PLUS Frank Borman), Virginia City, and of course, the Big Hole Valley which is worth the trip all by itself.

Cool nights, gorgeous landscapes everywhere, and really friendly people wherever we went.

The Osbornes have 2 other rentals - much bigger - for families or friends who want to have a fly fishing vacation, or just hike & ride.

Judy & John lawson

• Stayed: June 2006
1  Thank lsilvercityJohn

Been to Big Trout Ranch? Share your experiences!