“Wow!”

Lewis and Clark Caverns State Park
Lethbridge, Canada
“Wow!”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

This was an amazing experience - never seen anything like it. Well worth it!! Rock formations and history of it that is given by the guide is fantastic! I was hesitant as I was taking a 7 year old and a 1 1/2 year old in to the caves (my sister had her 3 children as well.) I carried the little one using a front pack and it worked well. We were told that there is a lot of bending and small areas to get thru but it was no problem. We were disappointed in the fact that we weren't informed that the gift store would be closed by the time we would be finished the tour which left the kids disappointed that we had to leave without souveniers. Had we been aware, we would have made our purchases before the tour. In any case - worth the drive!

Visited August 2012

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great cave!”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

You don't usually think of caves when you think of Montana, but this is a great cave! We've been to the Mark Twain Cave in Hannibal, Missouri, and this is better!

Cost was about $10 per person, and they recommend that you check in first, as tours go when there are enough people in a group - not at specific times. They will tell you when your group will leave, so you generally have plenty of time to browse the (expensive) gift shop.

There is a significant hike (3/4ths of a mile) up a fairly steep trail to get to the cave entrance, which is a decent workout when it's high summer and 93ºF outside.

The cave itself is 50ºF year round, so it's quite a temperature difference if it's 93ºF outside - bring a jacket or sweat shirt.

The cave spirals downward for 550 feet, so you cover a lot of ground, and go through various types of tunnels, many of which require you to duck way down (such as the "Duck, Bat, Duck" tunnel (where you have to duck to keep from hitting your head on the ceiling, look at a bat that has been entombed in the mineral drippings of the cave, and then duck again to get out of that section). There is even a slide that is ten feet long that you can slide down, or scoot down (whichever is your preference) that makes the trip even more interesting.

There are many caverns of intricate formations that are lit up so you can take pictures with existing light. There are also occasionally bats flying around, but they are just interesting - not threatening. I only took my little point-and-shoot camera, as I didn't want to worry about banging up my larger digital SLR camera, although I did see people with the larger cameras. I had enough to worry about with watching my footing on the sometimes uneven, dark flooring and keeping from hitting my head on the ceiling in the low hanging areas. They ask that you not take flash pictures in the first part of the cave (so as to not disturb the bats) but it is OK in the last half of the cave. (I prefer non-flash in such instances anyway, but I did take an occasional flash picture in the cave).

Our guide was very informative and funny as he instructed us on the various types of formations in the cave, and the history of the cave.

The trip inside the cave took two hours, so it was an enjoyable way to spend the afternoon!

There are also picnic areas on the road up to the cavern, so we had a picnic afterward. Nice!

Visited August 2012
2 Thank Bigedslobotomy
Edmonton, Canada
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Awesome caverns!”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

The family loved the caverns so much that they did it twice! We were there on a weekend and found it was a little busy. We didn't have long to wait to get a tour of the caverns. It was about $35.00 for our family of 4 (2 adults, one teenager and an 11 year old). Our tour group had 30 people in it. They allow you to bring water on the tour but no gum, food or flavoured water or drinks. There were some bats flying in some of the rooms. Apparently they are birthing and we saw large clusters hanging together. You have to really look hard to see them as they stay away from the people. The walk to the cave is a long and a slightly strenuous one if you're not used to hiking. This is made worse when you're walking in the afternoon with the sun beating down on you. I swear it was about 35 degrees celcius while we were hiking to the entrance. Thank goodness we had brought along water. They give you 1/2 an hour to get to the entrance and there you will be greeted by your tour guide. Once at the top you can rest in the shade of the mountain or in the mouth of the cave. It's nice and cool there! The tour is about 1 1/2 hours long. It is very informative and you learn a lot about the cave and it's history. There are some tight areas that you have to duck under and squeeze around. There is also a little slide called the Beaver tail slide that you crouch down and slide along to get through the passage. Lots of light so you are never in complete darkness until the guide shuts the lights off to show how dark it really gets. I almost had a heart attack because the lights would flicker on and off throughout the tour. I thought that the power was going to shut off and leave us in complete darkness. I later found out that the guides do that as they are leaving/entering an area to give a heads up to the other guides that they were coming through with their group. Bring a camera and take some awesome pictures. If there are bats in the room, you will be asked to hold off on using the flash on your camera. After the tour, head to the gift store and get some cool little souvenirs. They also have a little concession with cookies, baking, sandwiches and pop/juice.

Billings, Montana
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Educational and worth the effort!”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I would recommend this cavern tour to most everyone but we warned you have to hike 3/4 of a mile up to the cave and it is a little taxing on a hot day. Our guide warned us of all the ,many low spots and "don't bump your head" was repeated many times for our safety. Lots of steps and some low areas and a slide which was interesting but well worth it. Amazing sights that have taken millions of years to make. I did see two bats fly by too. I would like to see them hold each tour group to 15 people which would make it easier to get into the larger areas and move around. Highly recommend taking the time to see these beautiful caverns!

Houston, Texas, United States
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Fun surprise”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I had been on a different cavern tour before, and was expecting this to just be an ok outing during our vacation. But the experience turned out to be awesome. My husband and I loved it. As stated by others, it is a bit physically taxing (the hike up, small spaces inside, lots of steps, etc.), but I think that is part of what made it so fun. I felt like I really was exploring the cave and not just following a tour. The guide was very informative and interesting. The formations are beautiful---A must see if you are in the area! ***Tip: Don't plan on eating at the cafe there unless you just want wrapped sandwiches. Dive a bit farther up the highway and visit La Hood Steakhouse for a yummy cheese burger!