“What a pleasant surprise”

Laughing Horse Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Swan Lake B&B and Inns
Germantown, WI
“What a pleasant surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2009

The Laughing Horse Lodge is a unique bed & breakfast located somewhere in West Nowhere, Montana. Our gracious host did all she could to accomodate our group. Service and rooms were marvelous, well beyond expectations, and the food was even better. Jsut don't feed the dogs without prior permission. Can't wait to find a reason to go back and stay again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
SE Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2009

My decision to satisfy my curiosity about this "Laughing Horse Lodge B&B" may have been the single best decision I made while planning my annual motorcycle trip "West" this year.
My wife and I take a bike trip every year from SE Wisconsin and this year we needed at least 7 rooms to accomodate our friends. After countless hours surfing the world wide web I came across LHL. A return email from Kathleen pretty much made up my mind. Her charm and wit were obvious. The instant we pulled up to her front door with 9 Harleys I knew this place and the proprietor were special. The accomodations were unique (cute says my wife), the food was beyond excellent, and Kathleen, Nikki, and Cooper made us feel like we belonged.
The only drawback to our stay was departing. To know Kathleen and her 2 goldens is to love them. We will make another trip back to Swan Lake just to stay at the Laughing Horse Lodge ..... soon.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Anaconda
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2009

My wife and I spent two nights at the Laughing Horse Lodge. It was a wonderful experience. The Lodge provided an enjoyable alternative to our usual daily lifestyle. The food was excellent, and the environment relaxing. We appreciated being able to bring out dog.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2009

Our experience was very special. It was warm and welcoming with the gourmet food making our visit. Kathy was a great host and wonderful chef. She told us about things to do and offered to provide us with travel guides and suggestions based on her experience with the area.
The Laughing Horse Lodge is a one of a kind place that those looking to get away from it all, but still be close to all, would cherish. Don't hesitate to chose this wonderful B & B. It will be worth it.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Missoula, MT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2009

While out and about on a camping/canoeing trip with my girlfriend in the Seeley/Swan Valley, I had the pleasure of staying at the Laughing Horse Lodge during one of the nights. I had never heard of this place before, and having grown up in Montana, and not being easily impressed, I was a little skepticle about this place. Checking in was simple, pick an open room that fits your liking and it's yours. Each room is cozy and decorated tastefully, and the best part, NO TV!!! But who needs a TV when you're hanging out at Swan Lake, in some of the most beautiful country in the world? Dinner was priced just right if you are on a budget, but the taste and quality of food was second to none! There is no need to worry about breakfast in the morning as it is included with your room fee, and the huckleberry peach pancakes are like heaven! Katie was also a huge help in letting us know of some awesome hiking trails in the area, and great places to go canoeing as well. The staff was very courteous and friendly, and seemed eager to make your stay as comfortable as possible. We had only planned on staying there for one night, but the expierience was so pleasant we booked a room for another night and extended our stay in Swan Lake. I am already looking forward to reserving a room again this summer at The Laughing Horse, and enjoying another stay at the lodge, this time I'll bring more friends!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
la
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2009

I hesitate to tell anyone but I loved my stay and will go back the first chance I get, which will be in July. I've stayed at the Laughting Horse Lodge my last three trips to Montana. It's not the well kept secret it used to be so only tell two people about it please.
What stood out about this trip was the owner, Kathleen Moon's, unyielding hospitality. I arrived at the end of April before her season began and she was kind enough to get two rooms ready for my brood on a moments notice. The rooms were cozy and comfortable. And the courtyard is a pleasure to sit in and relax and watch the kids play. The smell of sweet grass always present.
One of the reasons I keep coming back is the food. I'm particular about food and I love Kathleen's cooking. I'd put her up against any L.A. chef in a heartbeat. Every morning she sends my kids and I off on our day with a delicious breakfast with thick bacon and fresh baked berry scones (included in the price of the room) and coffee that I can only get at home. I highly recommend the Ahi on a bed of greens with candied walnuts. I eat it once a day when I'm there. My kids love the food too.
I suggest making your reservations early as word is out about this lodge and it's not as easy as it used to be to get a room. I think it's because Swan Lake is right across the road and has the healthiest eco system in the country.
It's affordable, has a five star menu and is really friendly to kids.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Bigfork Montana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2009

I own and operate a high-end bed and breakfast in Bigfork, Montana and it has been my pleasure for 9 years to send my guests down the Swan Valley to Kathleen's dining room at the Laughing Horse Lodge. My husband and I eat as often as possible during her open season. This time of year, I wait with anticipation for her May opening. She has fabulous selections for vacation and local foodies.

Many of my guests come from metropolitan areas known for fine cuisine and it is always great fun to listen to the breakfast conversation after I've referred them to dine at the Horse. Plus a personal recommendation from them weighs greatly on the other guests that have just heard of her menu selections for the first time. The comments of disbelief that such great food is right around the corner in such a small town as Swan Lake or Bigfork.

My favorite dishes are the Rancher entree dinner salad. I never met anyone that created a salad with such variety of color and taste (other than myself) The plate is designed with organic greens, fresh tomatoes, peppers, olives, cucumbers, pickled asparagus, hearts of palm, artichoke hearts and boiled egg ~~ topped with sizzling hot strips of natural Angus sirloin cooked to order. Then if it isn't perfect enough, savory gorgonzola cheese crumbles are sprinkled on top.

My husband Steve has declared with many I might add, "Kathleen's 1/2 lb. sirloin burger is undeniably the best burger in the world" He loves the handcrafted foccacia bun loaded with sauteed crimini mushrooms, sweet onions, apple smoked crisp bacon and bubbling smoked Gouda cheese......is your mouth watering right now? Aside the burger are the best steak fries seasoned to perfection.

And then if this isn't enough, we still have to indulge ourselves with her skillet chocolate chunk cookie baked in a cast iron pan and served with French Vanilla bean icecream. Or if our local delight is in season, don't leave without a piece of her huckleberry peach pie baked fresh each day. My customers will reserve a whole pie upon check-in so they have a special treat each night at my Inn.

Whether you're a vegetarian and order her Saffron Soba Noodle cake or a meat eater and select her Roasted Raspberry Glazed Buffalo Ribeye, you couldn't ask for a more diverse menu to meet your wants.

I urge you and all my customers to make the drive down the Swan Hwy for a meal at Kathleen's Laughing Horse Lodge......you can't be disappointed. But please MAKE RESERVATIONS!! She's not a hidden treasure any longer, but a fabulous find that I wait all winter with great anticipation for her return!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Timbers Motel
Timbers Motel
#2 of 2 in Bigfork
Swan Hill Bed & Breakfast

Been to Laughing Horse Lodge? Share your experiences!