Laughing Horse Lodge
$124
$159
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
Hilton Garden Inn Kalispell(Kalispell)(Great Value!)
$209
GardenInn.com
Aero Inn(Kalispell)
$130
$126
$129
$129
All reviewsbig forkhuckleberry pancakesother guestsflathead valleyguest roomsmontana experienceperfect staymotorcycle triphome basestayed nightskathleenretrievermountains
Reviewed January 12, 2009

I stayed at the Laughing Horse Lodge in May of '07 with my dad and brother as part of a Montana getaway shortly before being deployed to Iraq. We stayed for two nights, these couple of days were some of the most pleasant, relaxing and peaceful days that I've yet lived.

Swan Lake is a wonderfully cozy little town nestled in the mountains, and though the Lodge sits on a main road (by Montana standards), you certainly feel like you're far away from all the distractions and bustle of the world at large. We walked down the road to the lake a couple times, once in the early morning and once at dusk, and I have vivid memories of how tranquil and serene it all felt (also the smell of the air was blissful).

Now to the food. Since it was about a year and a half ago that I was there I can't give a nuanced description of each meal, as time has taken some of those details away from me. But I can say that we were amazingly and pleasantly surprised at how intricate and fine the food was. I remember a hearty and delicious breakfast featuring this ridiculous orange French toast--one of the best breakfasts of my life. And a sumptuous pan-seared steak for dinner accompanied by some very fine wine. Kathleen is indeed a master culinary artist.

Speaking of Kathleen, she was really a fantastic hostess. She pulled up a chair to hang out and talk as we were eating dinner (once her work to be done died down a bit later in the evening), and was a lot of fun to talk to. She recommended a good hike nearby, and the icing on the cake, if you will, was her providing for us a box of freshly made cinnamon rolls for our departure. What more can you ask for?

The only thing I can say about the Laughing Horse Lodge that might be construed as negative by some, is that the sleeping accomodations aren't luxurious. But they have a rustic charm and I thoroghly enjoyed my two slumbers there. The lodge has a lounge area with a couple local beers on tap, comfortable chairs and satelite radio. We really enjoyed hanging out there, talking and having a couple beers later in the evening when the restaurant was closed.

If you're considering a trip to Northwest Montana, I would strongly advise you to at least stop at the Laughing Horse Lodge for dinner, but it would be most wise to stay for a night or two.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed August 6, 2008

Kathleen's( the owner) personality resonates through the walls of this cozy lodge. A very warm and inviting atmosphere with the dining palate of a 5 star restaurant. Highly recommended for all types of travellers.

Two content Canadians ..

• Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed August 5, 2008

Our stay in Swan Lake was wonderful. Kathleen was a wonderfully informative host and an amazing chef. The room was comfortable and clean. The patio/court yard was very relaxing. Swan Lake and the surrounding area are beautiful and only about an hour drive to Glacier National Park. We will definitely stay at Laughing Horse again and recommend to anyone in or passing through to stop for lunch or dinner. We had a buffalo steak that was the juiciest most flavorful we have ever had.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 3, 2008

no phone, no tv, no a/c, 20" box fan in room but no receptacle near door (only source of ventilation), window will not open for ventilation, hole in screen door, had to sleep with door open for ventilation so no privacy or security, no box spring under mattress, room very small, actually felt like we were camping,
room was clean, breakfast was excellent.

2  Thank acefl39
Reviewed July 31, 2008

After stupidly not making reservations in Kalispell on a Saturday night, we continued riding towards our next-days destination, hoping for a decent campground or older motel somewhere along the way.

Nothing promising showed up until we stopped at a small convenience store in Swan Lake. The gal there was great, and told us about two campgrounds, plus a B&B. We said 'no B&B, we don't like them!', but she said we might find this one different.

We rode up to Laughing Horse, and were instantly ready to hand over money for a room just based on the smells coming out of the kitchen!

The gal was right, this wasn't a 'typical' B&B, but a small 1950's lodge with cabin-like rooms in back. Each room has its own bath, and so doesn't suffer from the feeling of 'sharing' a home like some B&B's do.

My husband and I are relatively private people. I am always happy to enjoy good conversation with people we meet, but I don't necessarily want to meet them on the way to the bathroom, or as I'm headed to get a cup of coffee in my bedroom slippers.

The Laughing Horse fit our personalities perfectly. A true restaurant-type eating arrangement, and a bed and bath that were our own. Also, everyone working here was extremely attentive and professional. I really appreciate that, over someone who tries to be friendly on a personal level.

The accommodations themselves were good. The bed was extremely comfortable, with REAL pillows and a down comforter. The bath area was basic, but extremely clean and well maintained. The only downside was the heat. It was a hot night, and there's no air conditioning or fan in the room. I understand not having AC, but a ceiling fan would have made for a much more comfortable night.

Food was outstanding! We had salads for dinner, extremely good, very satisfying and with an innovative blend of ingredients that you wouldn't see anywhere else. Breakfast was superb, perfectly cooked eggs, best bacon I've had in years, perfect coffee - just great!

Overall a wonderful find, and much better than sleeping our tent!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple