“Our Wedding”

Laughing Horse Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Swan Lake B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We booked our wedding & all the rooms at The Laughing Horse Lodge! The rooms are very nice, quiet, a beautiful place for anything! Great outdoors seating, lots of activities to do if you choose! The food here was excellent! CHEF quality! Great service, very nice staff that waits on you hand & foot! We can't say enough good things about Kathleen & how well she runs this great B&B ! We encourage everyone to stay here! You won't be disappointed! We will be going back again & again!

Room Tip: Room 2 & 3 have microwaves & fridges!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We came from a 10 day trip in GNP and planned to stay at Big Fork the last night before flying out of Kalispell. However, we did not like Big Fork much...so we stumbled across Laughing Horse in Swan Lake thanks to Trip advisor :).
We enjoyed our short stay very much, the basic well decorated Montana cabin promised a good nights sleep, the self check in experience is a great and practical idea, the little court yard garden always seems to have some flowers at bloom, the pets around you are happy to indulge in a cuddle if you are so inclined and last but not least well travelled and well read Kathleen, who runs this little oasis of comfort and friendliness. At breakfast Kathleen had some time to sit and chat with us surrounded by all her animals. A lovely cosy experience and I had a hard time packing up and go.
We very much liked this place, but if you are not a pet lover this might not be for you as the dogs, the cat and the grey parrot Samson are pretty much part of this wonderful experience.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Had a great 5 night stay at Laughing Horse Lodge that began July 25th. Met up with friends from all over the United States. A Penn State reunion if you will. My first time in Montana and the Laughing Horse far exceeded my expectations. Located across the highway from Swan Lake, the lodge was the perfect place to relax, visit and recharge the batteries. Kathleen and her staff made sure our stay was absolutly perfect. The rooms were great, the food was outstanding. The Osso Buco was the best ever, the wine wasn't bad either. What a hidden gem. I am grateful that my friend recommened the horse for our get together.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I have stayed at the Laughing Horse Lodge 3 times in the last 4 years, and after my most recent visit I don't think my wife and I will be making a return trip. The rooms are still quaint and clean, the surroundings are beautiful, but the food quality has begun to slip. The first time we stayed at the Laughing Horse myself, my wife, and our friend were all amazed by the food. Long story short...the last time we had an evening meal there it was a disappointing experience to say the least. I don't know if the chef/owner has reduced her role in the kitchen, but the quality has gone down, and at $20-$35 for an entree, I expect a significantly better meal.

1  Thank AverageMTGuy406
ForLoveOfGoldens, Owner at Laughing Horse Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Thank you B for your candid review. For fourteen years I have focused on exceeding my guests' expectations and I am sorry that I will not have you and G visiting again. I am very much still in the kitchen - knowing the importance of consistency and quality, and as a small business owner, I depend upon these reviews to help me see my property as my guests do. But it is even more important to be able to 'fix' any concerns my guests have at the time of their concern. During your future travels, please be comfortable in the knowledge that your hosts want to know immediately if there is a problem so that they may address it quickly and make your experience a happy one. Safe and happy travels to you both.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Well, I had no idea how much I would enjoy my short stay here. The inn is immaculate, the landscaping and decorations are creative, the dogs are friendly and Kathleen is the best. Oh and the food is wonderful.

If you are looking for a place to stay in the area, skip Big Fork and go to straight to Laughing Horse Lodge.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

My beautiful wife and I needed a nice little get away from the kids and in-laws. Laughing Horse was perfect, no cell service, no alarm clock, and self check in. The restaurant was a cozy place for couples as well as a small family with a gourmet menu selection. The owner Kathleen was very nice and made us feel right at home. Our room was quiet and furnished with just enough goodies to keep our beverages cold and items. The courtyard was a gorgeous place to hang out and meet the other guests staying in one of the 8 or so rooms. Swan Lake access was a nice half mile walk down the road with pebble beaches and a sweet view. I have practically no complaints about this fine establishment.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

My husband and I were lucky enough to send the kids off with the grandparents so we could enjoy our anniversary getaway in the Swan Mountain Range. We first visited the Swan about ten years ago, and I immediately fell in love with the place! After looking at the few option of places to stay, we decided on the Laughing Horse Lodge. Unsure of what to expect, I was tickled pink when we pulled up front to the quaint little lodge. The whiteboard, posted on the front porch, announced that check-in was self-service, we were in room #2, the room was unlocked, and we could find the key on the windowsill:-) I immediately knew that I was going to love the place! I wish I had more pictures to share because it doesn’t do it justice. Each room has a private entrance and the inside is cleverly decorated to look like a log cabin. So cute!! The back yard had a beautiful flower garden and green foliage and chairs to relax in, a perfect, inviting spot that called out and said “relax for a while and read a good book!”.

Dinner was just as entertaining. Laughing Horse also boasts a gourmet restaurant, and the ever friendly chef who came out to greet the restaurant patrons, was none other than the owner herself. My seared ahi steak on a fresh bed of lettuce, picked from the garden out back, was incredible! Breakfast was amazing as well, blueberry & peach pancakes, eggs, and fresh bacon.

If you ever get a chance to vacation in Montana, the Seeley/Swan Range is a must-see, and if you’re looking for overnight lodging that feels like authentic Montana, don’t hesitate to stay at The Laughing Horse. I can’t wait to go back again!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Swan Lake
Bigfork Mountain Lake Lodge
Islander Inn
Islander Inn
#2 of 8 in Bigfork

Been to Laughing Horse Lodge? Share your experiences!