“One of my Favorite Spots”

Kootenai Creek Trail
Stevensville, Montana
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“One of my Favorite Spots”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

I have been hiking the Kootenai Creek Trail since I was a young man. For over 50 years it has been one of my favorite places in western Montana. A little steep at first then a very relaxing hike for about 3 miles then it get quite steep up to the Kootenai Lakes.

Bring your fly rod. The creek is full of 7-12 inch native cutthroat trout. I taught my sons to flyfishing on this wonderful creek.

Visited June 2014
3 Thank Hyrum T

Sierra Madre, California
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Should be kept a secret but deserves sharing”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Kootenai Creek Trail is a wonderful day hike and a refreshing departure from more crowded spots. I admit I only hiked in a mile. The stream was flowing well and the sound of the water was wonderful medicine for stress-relief. I would call the trail easy for experienced hikers. The trail is uneven in lots of places so make sure you watch your step. Our part of the hike was streamside for the entire distance and there is plenty of shade which makes for a cool hike even on the 90 degree (32 C) day we hiked. There are basic restrooms at the trailhead. My advice, don't pass up the opportunity because there's not much privacy on the trail

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Bruce J
Stevensville, Montana
73 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“Close to home.....”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Kootenai Creek is a great day hike trail....close to Stevensville and VERY convenient! The trail can be a bit rough after the Winter due to erosion, however, nothing the average individual can't handle....

Visited February 2013
2 Thank Danny5k
Napa, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“The Rushing Water on Kootenai Creek is invigorating!”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Hiked here two times now and just loved it. Thought it was an easy day hike, but to get to the lakes it's like 12 to 13 miles I have heard and read. We took our little dog, and had to carry her because of all the big rocks and uneven trail, lots of ups and downs, but it was a great trail for sturdy humans and we saw horses and one time a garden snake. It was well traveled and warm on our visit with lots of green foilage. I was in heaven and could have walked much further, but after three miles, we decided to turn around as it was getting late. I recommend you start early, bring water bottles, a lunch and a camera. It's sublime!!!

Visited October 2012
2 Thank ItalianGirlofpisa
Superior, Montana
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Beyond scenic; not too challenging”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Unlike so many other mountain trails, the water runs almost the full length of the trail. It can be "cooling" on a hot day hike, just to have the swift water nearby. I cannot think of a day hike I enjoyed more.

2 Thank FrontierTraveler