“Comfortable accomodations”
Review of Silver Gate Cabins

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Silver Gate
Silver Gate Cabins
Reviewed July 21, 2013

If you are travelling with family, these cabins are great. We stayed in the Back Cabin, which has 2 bedrooms and a kitchen, and it was perfect. The people at the General Store that run the cabins are very helpful too. Try the Log Cabin restaurant across the street - one of the best meals we had on our trip! Organic, fresh and well prepared.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank marrunner06
There are newer reviews for Silver Gate Cabins

Reviewed July 14, 2013

I read reviews and booked this for it's proximity to Yellowstone and regardless of other reviews, we loved it. We stayed in Whispering Pines #3. First, let me say if you are looking for luxury don't stay here. On our 19/20 day road trip we stayed in a variety of cabins to hotels from $60 to $280 and this was "one" of our favorite places (it was $99 a night). I found the most recent review of this particular cabin quite nit picky. It is rustic and that's what we loved about it. It was close to a couple other cabins. but it didn't bother us. We built a small campfire in front of our cabin each night and roasted marshmallows and enjoyed the night air. Our cabin was small with two beds (daughters shared one bed and hubby and I in other) and a table and a bench. The website shows you exactly what the cabin looks like, so it shouldn't be any surprise. We found the beds to be quite comfy. It had a coffee pot, but I don't drink coffee, so that's about all I can tell you.The bathroom was small but nice and clean with plenty of towels. There was a camping chair outside maybe two I believe. The heat worked well, it was June and it snowed and got really cold one night, but we stayed toasty.
Now, know this: Silver Gate is small; very little there. One main store (which is where u get your keys) and one main restaurant which is very small. Cooke City is a couple miles up road with a little bit more but also very small. So, if you are looking for a lot of shopping etc. Stay in Gardner or West Yellowstone. We visited all areas during our day adventures, but enjoyed coming to our rustic cabin adventure at night. One other thing, the views to the mountains are beautiful from the outside of cabin.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank ynot011
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stayed at the "School House" cabin at the Silver Gate Cabins in Silver Gate, MT. We made this our base camp for the week of visiting Yellow Stone National Park during the first week of July. The cabin was very comfortable, it was clean, and we enjoyed it very much. The bed was comfortable. The price of the cabin was very affordable. We also enjoyed being so close to the Northeast entrance to the park. The cabin comes with a kitchen which we only used for breakfast. It was also great to have a nice clean bathroom in the cabin. We would spend the day in the park and return usually by dark or a bit later. We ate three meals across the street at the "Log Cabin" restaurant and we were very impressed with the quality and good portions of food. The service at the restaurant was great.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Dave A
Reviewed July 9, 2013

June 2013. We booked online months before our planned adventure to South Dakota then across country to Yellowstone National Park and The Tetons.

Having stayed in Yellowstone National Park’s accommodation at Yellowstone Lake and Mammoth Hot Springs the year before, in cabins run by Xanterra, and eaten at various places in the park, we were determined to try and stay outside the park for at least part of our week-long visit and make our own food. Silver Gate was the shortest drive into the park and right near the Lamar Valley where we intended to spend a lot of time - so it ticked the boxes on both counts.

Silver Gate is a very small gathering of buildings, set in the most idyllic location you could wish to be in. If you want something a little more commercial (but only just) Cook City is just a few minutes further up the road. We drove up to Silver Gate via the Bear Tooth Highway and the Chief Joseph Scenic Highway from Cody, a beautiful drive that took us above the snowline!

As there only seems to be two places to stay in Silver Gate, to the best of my knowledge, it wasn't difficult to make a choice and the reviews for Silver Gate Lodgings were so good anyway, we booked without hesitation. We chose one of the Pine Edge Cabins with 2 queen beds, kitchen, and bathroom. When we got there though, we were given #1 Silvergate Cabin, same spec, just at the other end of the row of cabins, as it had just been upgraded and the others were yet to be done. The driveways are gravel, dandelions everywhere, “looks a bit scruffy” I thought, but how wrong first impressions can be. This place is a gem. The entire cabin inside and out is made of wooden logs, all the furniture is made from logs, the door handle to the bathroom was made from deer antlers, the whole cabin was like something from a fairytale; clean, tidy with all the facilities you need. Huge fridge/freezer (which we filled with the provisions we had bought in Walmart in Cody) kettle , toaster, coffee maker, loads of towels, hot water, complimentary soap etc., and a Weber BBQ (with lid) outside the porch which had two easy chairs and a table. I could quite happily have lived there! Only two things could be improved on, the bottom drawer in the chest of drawers had broken and was unusable, but we didn't unpack anyway so didn't need it, but it could do with being repaired and no microwave although lots of space to have one and would have been very useful for quick meals. But I would return here in a flash, broken drawer or not.

The dandelions came into their own when late one afternoon, after a thunderstorm had driven us out of the park, we decided to re-pack the car and drive back in, and there munching away outside our door was a huge bison. They obviously love dandelions so it would be daft to cut them down! We also had Mule Deer outside late in the evening. You really do feel as though you are in the wilderness and with the view across the grounds of the mountains still covered in the snow, I thought I had gone to heaven!

So book this place, you will love it, the owners are helpful and know a great deal about wildlife spotting and Wolves, and it doesn't matter which cabin you book, they are all near each other.

Room Tip: We had number 1, Silvergate, first one in the row and has a huge picnic table outside
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank snowbikesrule
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We stayed at Whispering Pines #10. Overall very good experience, with a few hiccups.

Pros:
--#10 is a quiet spot, on the edge of this group of cabins. The cool weather probably helped - people in neighboring cabins didn't spend much time outside grilling or hanging out. The sound of a nearby creek also adds to the ambiance.
--well equipped cabin. It has a small four burner kitchen stove and oven, full size fridge, sink and a good selection of utensils, pots/pans, plates and glasses.
--cozy and warm. Overnight temps were 30-40F and the cabin heater worked great, as did the down comforter on the bed.
--outdoor space. #10 has a small front porch and a small deck on the back of the cabin, in addition to a picnic table and fire ring. There are also charcoal grills. The weather was a little too cool to enjoy the back deck, I'm sure this is a very nice spot for morning coffee or evening wine later in the summer.
--wildlife: we saw deer coming to the creek in the evening, and a red fox. No issues with wildlife disturbing our cabin or campfire; we were careful to clean up food waste.
--helpful staff: All of the staff are very nice and helpful. Great resources for any questions about the park.

Cons:
These cabins are in a remote location and we had few issues that I attribute to the rustic environs. The heater in our cabin stopped working one morning and the next day the power in our cabin (only) went out. In both instances we reported the problem to the main office and it was fixed in a timely manner. Not a problem, but could have been if we'd lost power/heat at night. The night before we arrived the whole town experienced a power outage for 8-10 hours overnight; the power lines come from quite a distance through the forest and I believe there was a tree on the line or something of that sort. Wifi is available at the main store/office only, and I believe it was down for a day. None of these were real problems for us, but I mention them in order to set expectations that this little town is off the beaten path.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank JSvacation
Reviewed June 19, 2013

First I want to make it clear that the "Silver Gate Cabins" have 3 different cabin groups, Pine Edge, Silver Gate and Whispering Pines. This review is on the Whispering Pines (#3, in particular), only. I have no knowledge of the condition of the other cabins. This was by far one of our worst vacation lodging experiences in our lives. This cabin, itself, is very very small. There are no chairs just 3 small benches. The lock for the door is a very old latch that you put a small "master lock" type of lock on it and lock it with the key. There are nail tips protruding from the roof into the interior of the cabin. (so if you're very tall, be aware) The curtains in the sleeping area barely cover the windows (2) and the curtain in the bathroom only covers half the window. You will need to put a towel over it, to have any privacy while showering or using the toilet. The carpet was very worn and dirty. The box springs on both beds was ripped and dirty. The mattresses themselves were quite saggy. The one bed you literally fell into the middle. The one we slept on you rolled to the middle. This bed had a plywood board between the ripped up box springs and the mattress. The comforter had a sticky substance on it (sap from the ceiling ?) A wasp or bee type stinging insect slept in the room the first night along with the spider. The cabin is not sealed. Smoke from the firepits of the cabins on each side came into our cabin. I got a sinus infection from this. we stayed 3 nights, no pick up of the dirty towels that we left on the floor, (as is suggested) but they did dump trash cans. We so wanted this to work that is why we stayed 3 nights--we were booked for 5. I couldn't stay--we left. I will say the manager and staff were very apologetic, very nice They did refund our 2 nights ,as we had paid for all 5 nights in advance. There were only 2 reviews that I had found on this cabin, and I went ahead and booked against my better judgement. I won't do that again. The bathroom is ok, just small.

Room Tip: Maybe try one of their other cabins, but really ask a lot of questions.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gvaeva
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I searched on line and saw that they had 4 cabins available, so I called up and spoke with a man who said that they had already rented out too many rooms for that weekend, (July 19th, 20th, 2013), and wouldn't rent anymore out because it wasn't worth it for him since we didn't want to stay for longer than just the weekend.
...............Say What????????????.....................
That's the first time in my life I've come across a place of business that rents rooms for a living, that won't rent a room because he thinks it's too much of a hassle.
Well,................... At least I know where NOT to call the next time I'm needing a room while up at Yellowstone.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
#6 of 6 in Cooke City
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins
#2 of 17 in Yellowstone National Park

Been to Silver Gate Cabins? Share your experiences!