“If you liked Scout Camp you'll love this place!”
Review of Grizzly Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Silver Gate
Grizzly Lodge
Charleston, Illinois
“If you liked Scout Camp you'll love this place!”
Reviewed January 7, 2011

We rented 2 rooms (we are a family of 5) and the cost was unbeatable! Don't expect much in the way of fringes-the rooms were dated and the bathrooms were small (no tub-standing shower in 1 bathroom only). We arrived late and my first impression was not great...but we had a comfortable nights stay and the manager was kind enough to leave the roll-away in our room as we'd asked and left our key taped to the front door of the main building as well as leaving our rooms unlocked for our arrival. The next morning when I opened the door to leave I was in awe....The stream running along the lodge was beautiful and the mountain scenes were amazing! There were several small stores and some restaurants. We ate at one just next door for breakfast bf heading into Yellowstone-the food was absolutely delicious. The best part...we were just 3 min. from Yellowstone. We would absolutely stay again!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
6 Thank TravelingIzzy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed October 10, 2010

If you're looking for swank in rural Montana, you shouldn't be in rural Montana. It's a lodge, not the Four Seasons, in a town with the population of about 13. Some of these reviewers need to get over themselves. It's absolutely beautiful, the closest place to Yellowstone you can stay, and the people there are great and very professional. There is a stream running down both sides of the lodge and mountains all around you. The place was clean as a whistle and the nature of the place gives you a real feel for where you are. I would live here if I could.

• Stayed July 2010
8 Thank Dave1868
Austin, Texas
Reviewed September 16, 2010

I came here with a specific purpose and that was to "unplug" for a week. No cell service, no wireless (cafes down the road), and reasonable rates (~$85/night) for a seasonal property. Wildlife was everywhere!! A buffalo was grazing in the courtyard right by my room!! Amazing. Yellowstone entrance is right down the road.

Contrary to previous reviews, they do have a TV in the room with a few channels of piped-in movies. They have A/V inputs if you want to bring a Wii or DVD player. My only reason to hang out in the room was to sleep, not watch TV.

Rooms could use some updating, but they are clean and comfortable enough. I've stayed all over the world and while this is no 5 star resort, it's reasonably priced and was exactly what I was looking for.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
7 Thank prawdad
Frankfurt
Reviewed September 16, 2010

I'm one of those that likes big cities and detests camping. I'd like to say that I understood we'd be "roughing it" and that there wasn't cell / internet service, but it didn't really hit home until we were making our way through the area. If I'd only stayed one night, I have to say that my review would have been MUCH different. Thank goodness that a trip to Montana had always been my husband's dream and I agreed to stay longer out of a sense of obligation to him!

Initially dismayed at the lack of cell towers, wi-fi, restaurants and TV channels (the absence of which is not due to the Lodge but inherent to Silver Gate), I realized that it was the first time that neither my husband nor I needed a week to wean ourselves off of work / home. Instead, we were forced to relax and enjoy our environment from the beginning.

Now, for the Lodge specifically, it's definitely your most basic of rooms - but the price was right. The rooms haven't been modernized and are different from room to room. Initially skeptical, I grew to accept the "uniqueness" of the rooms to be part and parcel of our entire wonderful experience.

We returned from our trip feeling like we'd actually had a vacation, a break from our real lives. When we go back next year, I'll know better what to expect and can't wait!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
8 Thank expatter
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed September 4, 2010

Great location, just outside the Northeast entrance of Yellowstone. I'm sure the view would have been better, had it not been cold and rainy. The room was definitely old and no-frills and they have either twin or double beds, which would be great for a group of guys, but not so much for a couple who wants to sleep in the same bed. The price was right-$89/night--and there was nothing else available in Yellowstone, so it worked for a 1-night stay. I hate to put "no" for the recommendation, but the folks I know wouldn't enjoy the "rusticness" of the place, and there's nothing there for kids. Great movie channels, though! Next time we go to Yellowstone, I'll definitely upgrade, but will probably go back thru Silver Gate on my way up Beartooth Mountain HWY, which we had to skip due to the rain and fog.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mmmdjp
Longview, Texas
Reviewed August 15, 2010

We had a large group of family and friends staying at the Grizzly Lodge after our wedding. I have to say it was one of the best vacations ever! Everyone in our party was pleased with their rooms and we all enjoyed our stay. The rooms were very clean and the owners were extremely helpful in suggestions on places to go & see. It's Yellowstone people, of course there are no phones, internet, cable TV, etc. If that's what you are expecting, then I would suggest you travel to a big city...not rural Montana! I would definitely stay there again, and everyone in our party has already talked about all staying at "The Grizz" again!

• Stayed August 2010
3 Thank nutmeg904
Florida
Reviewed July 31, 2010

We just got home from our trip to Yelowstone. We stayed at the Grizzly Lodge for 3 nights. It is a absoulte beautiful setting you couldn't fine a better setting. BUT the rooms are dated and old, basic, no phone, tv and old. The owners do not care about the place and show it. They stay inside and do nothing on the grounds or rooms. They are rude, not at all helpful. There was a grizzly bear attack before we arrived and a person was killed just miles down the road. They never mentioned it to us. They have a fire pit but never had a fire. With a recession going on there are so many people in need of buisness, give it to them. To the people of Silver Gate and Cooke City who want you there and appreciate your buisness, not here they do not.

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
#6 of 6 in Cooke City
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins
#2 of 17 in Yellowstone National Park

Been to Grizzly Lodge? Share your experiences!