“Close to Yellowstone!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Grizzly Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Silver Gate
Grizzly Lodge
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Close to Yellowstone!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

With all of the campsites full and hotels in the area booked we found one last vacancy here. We were pleasantly surprised. Our room had a single bed, sitting area, and kitchenette. For the money we spent we definitely got a great deal. The staff was very pleasant and got us settled in even though it was later in the evening. This facility is relaxed and was a great fit for us for the night.

Bonus: They are only a few minutes from the park! In which was significant because we were rising before the sun to go spying for animals in the Lemar Valley. The location saved us time and allowed us to come back for a nap before check out time.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank PhotoJAC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed here one night in early July 2013. We were hoping to snag a campground or cancellation in the park, but we were out of luck so we headed to Silver Gate or Cooke City. Everything was booked for that night except one last room at the Grizzly Lodge.

The location is good, you can head up Beartooth Pass (in the summer) or west into the park, Lamar Valley, and beyond. You can walk to a couple small shops and restaurants. Nothing fancy in this area, but good burgers and beer.

The room was dated, the carpet was tired, the beds sloped a little. Nothing fancy or pretentious for sure. That said if you have been out camping in the weather for a few days, or are just plain beat tired, then you can appreciate a roof and a bed. I have stayed at many place like this in Montana and Idaho, and they are all basically the same, as long as it doesn't smell bad and the water tastes good and you have cold beer in your cooler it is a fine place to spend a night. Just don't expect city-slicker type accommodations.

There is a fire pit and Soda Butte Creek on the property, so the setting is nice. Also the staff are good, typical Montana...friendly and they let you dictate how much you want them involved in your story. Same with the owner's dog.

You probably won't find anything much nicer or different in the Cooke City/Silver Gate area, and most accommodations in the park are similar, so if they have room, give them a try, enjoy the fire pit and sound of the creek.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank jpellan
Jaime K, Owner at Grizzly Lodge, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Thank you for your tripadvisor comments. I am proud to say we are getting all new beds this winter for summer 2014, new bedding, and are currently renovating 3 rooms. Call in advance to get one of our newer rooms.
San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

The Grizzly Lodge is the way to go. Located only a mile away from the park, prices are excellent. The rooms are super basic but there is so much to do that we didn't lack for anything. Great hiking trails in every direction!!! Easy walks to 2 different waterfalls. Plus the property is surrounded by the Soda Butte river. After spending a few days in the park surrounded by people, it was so nice to escape to the Northeast entrance. Silver Gate is right outside park boundaries but you can hardly tell. Nature and wild life abound. We made friends with 2 different foxes and watched a buffalo grazing through our window! The owners are wonderful. They let us use their phone to call and check in at home. (It was so refreshing to be without cell service!!!) The camp fire was such a wonderful way to end an evening under the stars. Everything was so perfect, my friends and I are already planning our trip next summer!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Charlie S
Monument, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

We just got back from a 7 night stay at the Grizzly Lodge (right outside Yellowstone. Jaime was such a great host and very friendly. The room was great, the people were great, beautiful setting, cool lodge, Bon-fire every night! Can't wait to go back!!! Thanks Jaime and Jay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Debbie Y
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

Our experience at the Grizzly Lodge was perfect from the beginning. There's no cell service in the area and I asked the owner how far we'd have to drive to obtain service and she handed me the office phone so I could check on the kids, who were still in Bozeman. In addition to the outstanding staff, our room was perfectly clean and had been remodeled within the last year or so. The Soda Butte river flows through the property and the park provides a majestic backdrop for the perfect vacation. The owners offered provisions to make s'mores every night at the campfire and played croquet with the kids prior to the bonfire. Nightly there stories about the history of the property, and Silvergate and Cooke City. We are definitely going back before the summer ends!

• Stayed May 2013
5 Thank Gonzo720
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

This place made me want to live there. It's so close to the park and the owners are just wonderful. It's sn experience that just screams Montana and lets you soak in the natural beauty of this place. If you stayed here, you would definitely not regret it.

Stayed June 2013
5 Thank Dave1868
Worcester, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

This place is definitely 5 stars all the way. They have wonderful, attentive staff, a great location just outside the park, lovely neighbors who are always glad to meet new people, and they’re very affordable. I just returned from my second trip. I booked Grizzly Lodge on a whim last year, as I wanted to be close to the Northeast Entrance to Yellowstone. It was a great decision. I was only able to spend 2 nights, but I’m so glad I did. This year I spent five nights. Because of the location I was able to get into Lamar Valley very early and see amazing things. I highly recommend the Lodge. Not just for the location, but because the owners and their staff really help add something extra to a vacation. I know for sure that every time I come back to Yellowstone, that I’ll be spending part of my trip at Grizzly Lodge.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
#6 of 6 in Cooke City
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins
#2 of 17 in Yellowstone National Park

Been to Grizzly Lodge? Share your experiences!